Owen Coyle: Rangers shouldn't be second favourites to lift Scottish Cup this season..

If Oweny is pals with Ally and Durrant, I wish they'd pick the phone up and ask him to come in and freshen up training.

I always enjoyed watching his teams, they play the right way and although I assume he's a celtc fan he always struck me as a complete model pro, in fact an ideal example for any young man in Scotland. Work ethic of a demon, teetotal, always learning...tbh he's probably more Presbyterian than most of us.

Let's invest in this scenario.

We defeat the Pars narrowly, and Abergreen defeat ra Yahoos narrowly.

Immediately, we become the Bookies favourites to lift the Scottish Cup. Even if we secured a home tie in the quarter-finals against Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Hibs, and ICT; I suspect we would succumb to 0-2 defeat. Think ICT last season in the League Cup quarter-final, a team, any team comes and holds a high line, we are in trouble.

Owen does not speak with forked tongue, not this time.

I think we have about as much chance of winning a cup as John Greig and Jock Wallace did in the 80's, except in a game against Celtic. And they won three. The main difference is that Celtic have five times the budget as us.

We may never be favourites but we've not won the cup loads of times when we have been. It's how the teams play on the day. It makes no difference to me what a Tim thinks about our chances. What will be will be. The piece is only there to noise us up whether it proves to be true or not, and best ignored.

If we can give Newcastle a good fight then in my opinion we've at least a 50-50 chance of beating an SPL side who are of far lower standard albeit a cup game is different from a meaningless friendly. In the end there is absolutely no evidence one way or the other.

We do have a bigger budget but we have to pay more for the same standard of player as SPL sides. We're used to playing a lower level of opposition every week, but we're also used to winning and have a huge crowd on our side.

A lot of people may not rate our manager, but I don't see a surfeit of geniuses in the Premiership.

I'm not really looking forward to the cup games as I can see the excessive derision from home and away if we lose a tie and bugger all praise if we win.

But in the end our priority is to win the league and move to the next stage.

Friday 7 February

Rangers v Dunfermline

Saturday 8 February

Albion Rovers v Stenhousemuir

Alloa Athletic v Dumbarton

Celtic v Aberdeen

Forfar Athletic v St Johnstone

Hibernian v Raith Rovers

Stranraer v Inverness CT

Sunday 9 February

Dundee Utd v St Mirren

"Likely" to progress:

Rangers

Stenhousemuir

Alloa/Dumbarton

Celtic

St Johnstone

Hibs

ICT

Dundee United

Assuming we beat Dunfermline then if course we'd want a home draw and to avoid Celtic. But the rest are winnable.

Yes DU/Sheep/ICT would be tough. But we trounced the 2nd best team in the country last year and could beat these again.

We are unlikely to win it and we would need luck in the draw and in individual games. But I wouldn't go as far to say I wouldn't fancy us against any SPL side.

I like Owen Coyle but not being in the top 5 to win it is slightly off the mark. Celtic are clear favourites but after that we could give the rest a game at Ibrox but id actually be more worried about Allys tactics that the quality of the opposition.

I forgot Celtic v Aberdeen is this round, which is great as 1 of them is out.

I'd be concerned about us defensively against a top division side. Big Jig(who is a makeshift CB)would get a runaround and I'm not sure about Moshni either. This is one area of the side which needs attended to this summer as we prepare to return to the top division next year

Second strongest squad in Scotland with huge resources, we should be second favourites. It's up to the manager and players to do their jobs properly and prove they deserve the big bucks they earn here.

Rab, i hear what you are saying but are currently spending over £2m per year just on defenders and you are worried about coming up against the dross of the SPFL. Why are we paying these guys so much if they are not worth it?