The reply will be interesting. This question was canvassed some years ago on FF -the old Rivals Board, I think. RMc was an "aye ready" man but changed his mind halfway through the debate.

What exactly was JF saying above? I took the meaning that the motto was ""Ready" but the device on the stand showed "Aye Ready" for some reason?

Robert has previously confirmed it's always just said ready. I am fairly certain.

Well he's quoted as saying "The change in 1966 was explained as being a modernising move, but in fact it was so that the badge could be legally incorporated".

There are some great pictures here, quite a few of which show the crest on either side of the main stand; perhaps someone with the necessary skills and software can blow them up (the pictures, not the stand). http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=258942

The reply will be interesting. This question was canvassed some years ago on FF -the old Rivals Board, I think. RMc was an "aye ready" man but changed his mind halfway through the debate.

What exactly was JF saying above? I took the meaning that the motto was ""Ready" but the device on the stand showed "Aye Ready" for some reason?

It is a bit confused in places http://www.followfollow.com/news/tmnw/aye_ready_200064/index.shtml but I took him to mean that he confirmed that the crest on the end of the stand said "aye ready" but his blazer badge said "ready". 'I think someone was to 'do' the badge and it 'became' 'Ready'.

Found this as well attributed to RE:

THE EDITOR OF “THE RANGERS HISTORIAN" REPLIES:-

It was good to know that Jim Forrest (a near-neighbour of mine) confirmed what I knew to be fact.

However one point should be emphasised - the wording on the blazer badges has no relevance to the club's official motto.

“Originally the motto was 'AYE WORK AWA', which was then changed to 'READY AYE READY', subsequently shortened to 'AYE READY' and finally in 1966 to 'READY'.

“The change in 1966 was explained as being a modernising move, but in fact it was so that the badge could be legally incorporated.

I” have explained all of this more than once on the 'FF messageboard and on various Rangers internet lists - must say I am mystified why the debate continues.

“Regards

“Robert McElroy”

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=203835&st=100

That seems to confirm what I surmised, namely that the offical motto was indeed "aye ready" and that a shorter version was used on badges etc and perhaps the crest on the stand ends.