Walter and Ally take over

OK, if we were to look back at all the old threads from this time last year, the majority of us were calling for Murray to sack AM and replace him with names like Butcher (spit), McCoist, Gough and Durrant. I was sceptical, as none of those mentioned have / had enough experience to manage The Rangers (in Butchers case, he had burned his bridges).

The initial excitment and hype surrounding PLG exceeded all our expectations and we all forgot about or letters to Santa requesting Ecks removal and replacement by the above (some even mentioned the two Jimmies - I read somewhere today where they were referred to as Tango and Sash - made we laugh, but I digress).

Before PLG was announced, a few posters (me included) discussed the possibility of Smith (or Souness) returning with a young manager under their wing. Someone like Billy Davies or Gus McPherson. IMO, this would still be my preferred solution - by all means bring in McCoist, Durrant, Gough, Laudrup, Albertz or the likes as coaches, but IMO we need someone with experience between Smith (or Souness) and the likes of Durrant and McCoist.

Cammy F

When Le Guen was appointed manager, I was thrilled. Here we were, getting a manager who could really take us places after the dark days of Alex McLeish. Now that we're facing the prospect of turning to a manager who was hounded out of the club nearly 10 years ago, I really don't know what to think. The positives are that Smith (and his mooted team of McCoist, McCall, etc) know the ethos of Rangers Football Club. Surely this should see us turning the corner domestically and inject the passion that has been missing from large chunks of the playing squad.

When Le Guen was appointed manager, I was thrilled. Here we were, getting a manager who could really take us places after the dark days of Alex McLeish. Now that we're facing the prospect of turning to a manager who was hounded out of the club nearly 10 years ago, I really don't know what to think. The positives are that Smith (and his mooted team of McCoist, McCall, etc) know the ethos of Rangers Football Club. Surely this should see us turning the corner domestically and inject the passion that has been missing from large chunks of the playing squad.

The dark days of McLeish - 7 trophies in 3 seasons - by God, that sounds like HEAVEN at this minute in time.... PLG couldn't even secure 3 back to back victories.... if AM's reign was the dark days, how would you describe the PLG days?

Cammy F

Speaking as a Scotland and Rangers fan I dont want to see us taking a step backwards with Walter Smith. He's doing a cracking job with the national team and I wouldn't want to see them thrown into turmoil at a time when we have an outside chance of causing an upset i.e. qualifying for the next Euro's ahead of the likes of the Ukraine, France & Italy (not all of them though).

Coisty, well thats another matter. He's exactly the kind of presence I would love to see at Ibrox perhaps as a number 2 to someone else with a bit of experience. Not sure if he's quite ready to be the main man yet but given time he could be.

Back to Walter, I just dont want to have all the great memories of 9IAR tainted if he comes back and is unsuccesful. The way our support seem to turn on the managers these days could put him off. The other option is that he comes back in some capacity to steady the ship for a short period whilst still being Scotland manager. That option could be the death of him as national manager. Can you imagine if he picks Rangers players ahead of Celtic players and vice versa? Cant see an experienced head like WS wanting to go down that route.

Apparently McCall is to be brought in too. How much of this is paper talk, who knows? Still I would love to see the Irn-Bru man back in town.

Lets hope he doesnt have anything else in that Irn-Bru when we win a cup.

THAT Clip

Thats right... i said WHEN we win a cup, ever the optimist. :P

The thing about Walter Smith is,since he left Rangers he went on to become an even better manager, what i mean is he has gained an awful lot of experience and learned a lot and therefore become a better manager,so he may yet cut it in europe as he has proved with Scotland,but as long as we start getting it right in the SPL and back challenging then i'll settle for that in the meantime.

Personally I feel the days when Rangers fans are happy with winning the league and cup are gone. We should be wanting to challenege in europe after xmas and with the appointment of Smith I feel this will never happen.

One good thing I will say about the arrival or Smith and McCoist is that the dressing room and training ground will be a much happier and friendlier place to be with the jokes that Ally is famous for.