NO large surfer banners allowed into Easter Rd on Sunday (confirmed by RFC)

RST statement.

The Rangers Supporters Trust (RST) is dismayed by the news that Police Scotland may not allow large flags into the Ramsdens cup final on Sunday at Easter Road. There is already a ban on alcohol in public, something which does not happen when the rugby is played at Murrayfield, or at the Edinburgh derby. Once more, Rangers fans are being criminalised through no fault of their own.

The unprecedented decision to refuse entry with large flags on the basis that it can be used to hide pyro seems redundant given that special sniffer dogs will be on duty to stop any pyro from entering the stadium. This decision by Police Scotland will cost supporters clubs money. Bridgeton Loyal recently spent a substantial amount of money on a new flag for the game which is now not allowed and there are no doubt others in the same position.

The RST urges Police Scotland to allow common sense to prevail and engage in dialogue with fans and the club to allow supporters to enjoy the day in a safe and sensible manner, and allow flags into the game.

What is/was the size of flags normally allowed into such a place?

Section43 Hibs fans welcoming Celtic to Easter Road with a massive 'surfer' banner in February last year...

JS13784085-2465763.jpg

Celtic fans at Easter Road on 18th February 2012...

ZwV9O.png

Banner1.jpg

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/scottish_football/111402/celtic-taunt-stricken-rangers-unfurl-huge-hmrc-banner-vs-hibernian.html

Edited by Zappa

Fair play to the Hibs, that's a decent flag.

As for Timothy, he does know that the HM in HMRC stands for Her Majesty's doesn't he? If so, fair play to him too for his recognition of a Department of the Realm of which he is a subject.

Section43 Hibs fans welcoming Celtic to Easter Road with a massive 'surfer' banner in February last year...

Saw them too, but I was also pointing out ...

Has anyone actually checked what sort of flags and banners were allowed into Easter Road or a similarly sized stadium when it hosted a national cup final before? What is/was the size of flags normally allowed into such a place?

For I know from my own experience that league and cup games/internationals (not least when screened live) get a different approach from the authorities.

Not saying that I agree with the actions taken for tomorrows game, but I see the/a reason behind it.

Saw them too, but I was also pointing out ...

Has anyone actually checked what sort of flags and banners were allowed into Easter Road or a similarly sized stadium when it hosted a national cup final before? What is/was the size of flags normally allowed into such a place?

There's not a recent enough comparison for the Challenge Cup because you have to go back 20 years to a final at Fir Park to find an attendance of over 10k at the Challenge Cup Final.

The League Cup Final has always been played at Hampden for almost 70 years apart from the odd occasion. There was a period in the 90's where it was played at Ibrox if Celtic were in the final and Parkhead if we were in the final, so we played 3 League Cup finals at Parkhead in the 90's and they played 2 at Ibrox. Other than that, it's always been at Hampden apart from 35 years ago when 2 consecutive finals were played at Dens Park.

Scottish Cup Finals have always been played at Hampden for the past 90 years apart from 3 finals in the 90's which were played at Ibrox & Parkhead.

In all fairness, I think the only matches you can really compare to this one on Sunday are Scottish Cup or League Cup ties before the final which have been played in Edinburgh or maybe even the Edinburgh derby and I think you'd be hard pushed to find one where anyone has said large banners or flags were banned.

Many moons ago they tried to ban flags being taken into grounds on canes or sticks, but people just removed them from the cane. Flags and banners themselves have never been banned or disallowed unless something was deemed offensive, although it has to be said that both police and stewards have been becoming stricter in recent years and in many cases taking banners, flags & even scarves off of fans for dubious reasons.

Anyway.... the latest situation is as clear as mud because apparently Police Scotland have now denied banning any banners and will only object to offensive ones as per usual these days.

So fans are left to assume that they can take their banners, no matter how large. There seems to have been either some confusion or someone taking the piss because I was told first hand last night by one of the Bridgeton Loyal guys that Rangers head of security David Martin had told them their banner wouldn't be allowed because Police Scotland weren't going to allow any large banners or surfers into Easter Road for this game.

Ironically, while there's a ban on drinking alcoholic beverages in Edinburgh tomorrow, the communication from Police Scotland > Rangers Security > Rangers fans seems like a badly organised piss-up in a brewery.

Edited by Zappa
removing sentence which could be misinterpreted

There's not a recent enough comparison for the Challenge Cup because you have to go back 20 years to a final at Fir Park to find an attendance of over 10k at the Challenge Cup Final.

The League Cup Final has always been played at Hampden for almost 70 years apart from the odd occasion. There was a period in the 90's where it was played at Ibrox if Celtic were in the final and Parkhead if we were in the final, so we played 3 League Cup finals at Parkhead in the 90's and they played 2 at Ibrox. Other than that, it's always been at Hampden apart from 35 years ago when 2 consecutive finals were played at Dens Park.

Scottish Cup Finals have always been played at Hampden for the past 90 years apart from 3 finals in the 90's which were played at Ibrox & Parkhead.

In all fairness, I think the only matches you can really compare to this one on Sunday are Scottish Cup or League Cup ties before the final which have been played in Edinburgh or maybe even the Edinburgh derby and I think you'd be hard pushed to find one where anyone has said large banners or flags were banned.

Many moons ago they tried to ban flags being taken into grounds on canes or sticks, but people just removed them from the cane. Flags and banners themselves have never been banned or disallowed unless something was deemed offensive, although it has to be said that both police and stewards have been becoming stricter in recent years and in many cases taking banners, flags & even scarves off of fans for dubious reasons.

Anyway.... I answered you in detail purely out of good manners and politeness dB. The latest situation is as clear as mud because apparently Police Scotland have now denied banning any banners and will only object to offensive ones as per usual these days.

So fans are left to assume that they can take their banners, no matter how large. There seems to have been either some confusion or someone taking the piss because I was told first hand last night by one of the Bridgeton Loyal guys that Rangers head of security David Martin had told them their banner wouldn't be allowed because Police Scotland weren't going to allow any large banners or surfers into Easter Road for this game.

Ironically, while there's a ban on drinking alcoholic beverages in Edinburgh tomorrow, the communication from Police Scotland > Rangers Security > Rangers fans seems like a badly organised piss-up in a brewery.

Sounds like a lack a clarity.

Police Scotland should be able to speak for themselves.

As should David Martin.

And it should be in writing. Someone is screwing up here.

All these quotes must have been given by someone and to someone.

Would just be helpful to find out who is right, who is wrong and who is the word of the gospel in future.