The banner that became a focal point of David Moyes's struggles as Manchester United manager before his sacking may end up in a football museum.

'The Chosen One' banner has hung from the Stretford End at Old Trafford since August.

It will be removed before Saturday's Premier League home match with Norwich.

Stretford End Flags, the group which had the banner made, is considering donating it to the National Football Museum in Manchester.

The banner was made as a reference to the fact that Sir Alex Ferguson, before retiring at the end of last season, chose Moyes as his successor.

There had been intense debate over whether it should have remained as long as it did. Fans who were openly critical of the former Everton boss were calling for its removal in the wake of a succession of damaging defeats.

Those calls were resisted - but it will go following Moyes's exit on Tuesday.

Yeah a Man City or Liverpool museum!

Will be interesting to see how the players perform on Saturday v Norwich under Giggs, I can see a huge reaction and the awakening of the beast and they will win by a good few.

There is a huge difference between Fergusons first few years and why he wasn't sacked compared to Moyes. Utd in the 80s hadn't won the league for 26 years and had a drinking culture around the club with no future. What Ferguson set out to do was always doing to take 5 years and once he got that first FA cup and Cup Winners cup they just took off from there. Moyes took over a team that still won the league regardless if its Man Utd worst squad in 20 years and should have done better. Top 4 should have been minimum.

Moyes will only get 1 years pay off for not securing European football.

I think they way he lost the dressing room is whats doing it and I cant see a way back.

I wonder if Mourinho will fancy it, rumours he isn't getting on with Abramovic again. At least he is proven. Other than that it will be one from:

Klopp

Guardiola

Van Gaal

De Boer

How should top 4 be a minimum? Their squad is miles worse than the top 4 and Everton and Spurs are stronger too apart from in attack.

Also, Guardiola? No chance! He only manages teams with good players.

Also, Van Gaal is very risky. He's had a mixed career and has never been the same success since his original Ajax days. He's left a few positions in controversy and/or a bad way. His win percentage at Barca over the two stints is 56 and 53.33%, very mediocre. Guardiola in comparison is 72.47%.

Bayern seem to have got a lot stronger since Van Gaal left too.

How should top 4 be a minimum? Their squad is miles worse than the top 4 and Everton and Spurs are stronger too apart from in attack.

Also, Guardiola? No chance! He only manages teams with good players.

Champions to 7th isn't acceptable and from Man Utds perspective top 4 is a must, I am not saying they deserve it but the owners would demand it.

I had a sneaky feeling yesterday Mourinho would be in the running and I fancy it to be him even more so now.

Champions to 7th isn't acceptable and from Man Utds perspective top 4 is a must, I am not saying they deserve it but the owners would demand it.

I had a sneaky feeling yesterday Mourinho would be in the running and I fancy it to be him even more so now.

Last season Man Utd might have been champions but that was just because the rest were so poor and nobody provided a credible challenge.

No chance re: Mourinho. That's laughable! He's managing one of the top elite teams in the world, why would he manage a useless team that needs rebuilt from scratch? He is at Chelsea for the long haul.

Regarding Moyes, it's easy to forget he spent almost £65m at Man Utd. Not a huge amount to them but it makes them one of the highest net spenders in Europe this season. He had bad luck on Fellaini because he was one of the best players in the Premiership. He excelled latterly in an AMC role though and what Man Utd really need is quality in the middle of the park.

It's not the first time we've seen a player look good at a lower club then struggle at a big one, happens all the time in Scotland.

Guest Handwringer Loyal

Poor decision making from united from start to finish. Giving Moyes a 6 yr deal was the first red flag, followed by the departure of key Sir Alex-era backroom staff like Phelan. Publicly pursuing and failing to acquire big name signings over the summer was another bad sign. Then sacking Moyes before he's even been given a chance to rebuild an entire squad which badly needs it followed by the current bizarre situation of wave after wave of manager scrambling to distance themselves from the job before any approach has been made. What the hell has happened to Man United since Fergie left?!