Is there any evidence that winning anything at that level produces any benefit to the players involved? It would be nice to win but I'm far from convinced the Tims have a good youth system.

Is there any evidence that winning anything at that level produces any benefit to the players involved? It would be nice to win but I'm far from convinced the Tims have a good youth system.

Breeding winners is what they do, whether that is at Celtic or elsewhere. Winning becomes a habit as it does in senior football too.

Breeding winners is what they do, whether that is at Celtic or elsewhere. Winning becomes a habit as it does in senior football too.

Without being funny is there any actual evidence of that? The term 'winning is a habit' is a cliche and a nonsense, if it was a habit the same team would win everything. We've discussed this before on here but the last Scotland under 17 side to achieve anything notable was jammed full of Celtic players none of who went onto achieve anything, most never even made an appearance for their first team. Winning at that level shouldn't be the goal, creating players who can step up to the first team should be. We get to caught up in the results.

Without being funny is there any actual evidence of that? The term 'winning is a habit' is a cliche and a nonsense, if it was a habit the same team would win everything. We've discussed this before on here but the last Scotland under 17 side to achieve anything notable was jammed full of Celtic players none of who went onto achieve anything, most never even made an appearance for their first team. Winning at that level shouldn't be the goal, creating players who can step up to the first team should be. We get to caught up in the results.

I disagree. Generally they do. The same teams, the same trophies, the same winners, rarely does football spring up a surprise in the long run, over the course of a season for example. I do agree however about developing players good enough for the first team, that is the goal, not youth levels trophies but i also a think a balance has to be found, we don't want to be bringing through players who think it is ok to lose, making the acceptable is dangerous and a hard hole to get out of.

Race Not Over Yet

f993f415ac04d8eeb835965400c55132_XL.jpg

GORDON DURIE insists his Rangers players shouldn’t be too despondent yet with the SPFL Under-20 League title still very much up for grabs in his eyes.

The Light Blues finished their campaign today with a 2-0 defeat to Glasgow rivals Celtic at Lennoxtown.

Had Gers drawn or won they would have been declared champions but now their opponents from across the city could come from behind to take the crown.

For them to do that, however, they must beat Dundee United at Tannadice on Thursday night in their last fixture.

The Arabs have pushed teams from Ibrox and Parkhead hard this season, drawing 2-2 with Durie’s men on Tayside and losing both their away games by just a single goal.

That means victory is far from assured for Stephen Frail’s men and particularly given the game comes just two days after this afternoon’s contest.

Durie said: “The championship isn’t finished yet and we’re looking for Dundee United to do us a favour now.

“Celtic have got another game in 48 hours which they need to try to lift themselves for and I’m sure they’ll be able to do that.

“It’s a hard game for them though and anything can happen. United have caused us problems this season and that’s a hard place to go.

“Celtic still have to go out and get a result on Thursday and nothing has been won or lost yet at this stage.”

The hosts won today courtesy of second-half goals from Denny Johnstone and John Herron to repeat their 2-0 success at Murray Park in March.

But while Durie thought his players were guilty of not turning up then, he felt they were much better today and they could easily have led before they fell behind.

He added: “The boys are disappointed and quite rightly so. We started the game really well and for the first 25 minutes I thought we were on top.

“It would have been nice to get a goal in that time but we let them into the game and in the second half they won it.

“I’ve said to the boys that there are fine lines in games and we switched off and lost a goal then another one either minutes later.

“We were pushing forward late on as we tried to come back but a couple of things never fell for us.

“The boys have been great over the course of the season so it’s hard for them to take this result because we were far better in this game than we were last time against Celtic.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/6933-race-not-over-yet

Football is filled with cliches and I've yet to see one which rings true.

For youngsters, competing and winning is important, but so is technique, fitness, development and attitude. For us at Rangers, the only trophies that matter should be major national and international ones. Youth cups and lower division titles are barely worthy of mention.

I'd rather have a reserve or youth team that delivered one quality player to the top team every year than one which piled up trophies and never produced a Rangers-class adult player.

Football is filled with cliches and I've yet to see one which rings true.

For youngsters, competing and winning is important, but so is technique, fitness, development and attitude. For us at Rangers, the only trophies that matter should be major national and international ones. Youth cups and lower division titles are barely worthy of mention.

I'd rather have a reserve or youth team that delivered one quality player to the top team every year than one which piled up trophies and never produced a Rangers-class adult player.

I largely agree with this though winning should always be important. Development and performance should certainly take priority though. The success Spanish and Barca teams have at youth level clearly aids their development.

With regard to the U20 league though, we should have been playing more of these players throughout the season and all of them after winning the league. I can't recall another occasion where youth football has taken priority to the first team though we are always one to do things a strange way. That said even without the u20 league to play for we'd have still stuck with the same old garbage.

PS - I also see logic in Cooper's recent point that they'd be better off with Durie than Ally.