David Somers buys 35,000 shares + Easdale buys more shares

Re: The Sun front page

Cash-strapped Rangers handed their chairman a £20,000 contract - for around FOUR DAYS' work. David Somers netted the lucrative deal when he took up the post despite the club desperately needing to cut costs.

The Scottish Sun understands he trousered a whopping £10,000 a month from November 8 to December 31 laste year n- before expenses.

And yesterday it emerged the terms of the job were for him to work just ONE or TWO days a month, plus preparation ahead of meetings.

It's not known how much work Somers, 65, did in his first two months, though Ibrox chiefs insist he's ended up with "daily" duties.

The period covered the club's stormy pre-Christmas AGM when the entire board were booed by supporters.

In January, Somers' wages dropped to £5,000 a month - still a cool£60,000 a year.

Last night protest group the Union of Fans said they were "astounded". A spokesman added: "It's another example of fans' cash being paid out to benefit the present regime."

It comes days after it emerged chief exec Graham Wallace is in line for a bonus that would double his £315,000 salary.

A spokesman said: "The contract may have anticipated that level of commitment when Mr Somers joined but he's been working on a daily basis ever since."

No wonder the money disappeared.

Re: The Sun front page

Cash-strapped Rangers handed their chairman a £20,000 contract - for around FOUR DAYS' work. David Somers netted the lucrative deal when he took up the post despite the club desperately needing to cut costs.

The Scottish Sun understands he trousered a whopping £10,000 a month from November 8 to December 31 laste year n- before expenses.

And yesterday it emerged the terms of the job were for him to work just ONE or TWO days a month, plus preparation ahead of meetings.

It's not known how much work Somers, 65, did in his first two months, though Ibrox chiefs insist he's ended up with "daily" duties.

The period covered the club's stormy pre-Christmas AGM when the entire board were booed by supporters.

In January, Somers' wages dropped to £5,000 a month - still a cool£60,000 a year.

Last night protest group the Union of Fans said they were "astounded". A spokesman added: "It's another example of fans' cash being paid out to benefit the present regime."

It comes days after it emerged chief exec Graham Wallace is in line for a bonus that would double his £315,000 salary.

A spokesman said: "The contract may have anticipated that level of commitment when Mr Somers joined but he's been working on a daily basis ever since."

Ironic that Somers seemed to be on 'doubletime' during:-

- the times he had a memory loss (when asked on various occasions about who had recommended him/remembered post-AGM/it was the Green friendly Nomad, DStewart)

- the time when he was so 'in tune' that he thought the red card protest was something to do with Aparthied.

- the time he penned the infamous Open Letter that saw the independent chairman cast abuse in direction of some standing at the AGM, praise Stockbridge to the rafters, let out the bag that the business review had already started (2 weeks before AGM and start of the fabled 120 days) etc. etc. http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5759-an-open-letter-from-the-chairman

When we think of extra dosh for the likes of Jack Irvine etc, for individuals to win the AGM vote it seems to have cost the club a fair amount of cash.

I don't think Wallace would have been able to push for such numbers plus bonus if there hadn't been an up and coming AGM.

Edited by buster.

Without defending these payments, I would hope that people are intelligent enough to note a certain media spin behind all these naughty revelations, which are partly based on speculation rather than fact. But they all make great stories in these days of ST renewal time ... and the one who loses out due to all of this is not the board.

Without defending these payments, I would hope that people are intelligent enough to note a certain media spin behind all these naughty revelations, which are partly based on speculation rather than fact. But they all make great stories in these days of ST renewal time ... and the one who loses out due to all of this is not the board.

I'd agree that this article wants to push a particular message without having proportional material at hand, it's 'The Sun'.

I do however think the facts within are worthy of knowing in that they help along with other information, to form a picture of how this board operate.

As I just noted in another thread, these people were hired to come to this mess and take us out of it - whether people think they do does not matter for the moment. Much like the players we signed for SFL 3 an Division One. These people - unless they are Bluenoses - do not come here for nothing, rather on the contrary - as one would expect. We sure have some experts who know how much a CEO should or should not get for what sort of job. Much like we have people who know what they are actually doing 24/7 for that money.

What the press does is splash this rather obvious info with a nice negative stuff into our faces on a daily level, one day it is Wallace, the next it is Somers. By the sheer amount of it people might get the impression that it is the boad who is - due to wages and bonuses - responsible why it all goes downhill. And that is spin, and IMHO rather negative spin in a time where we (the club, that is) can't afford it.

No-one is asking that this info should remain confidental, yet, our problems do not start or end with them.

As I just noted in another thread, these people were hired to come to this mess and take us out of it - whether people think they do does not matter for the moment. Much like the players we signed for SFL 3 an Division One. These people - unless they are Bluenoses - do not come here for nothing, rather on the contrary - as one would expect. We sure have some experts who know how much a CEO should or should not get for what sort of job. Much like we have people who know what they are actually doing 24/7 for that money.

What the press does is splash this rather obvious info with a nice negative stuff into our faces on a daily level, one day it is Wallace, the next it is Somers. By the sheer amount of it people might get the impression that it is the boad who is - due to wages and bonuses - responsible why it all goes downhill. And that is spin, and IMHO rather negative spin in a time where we (the club, that is) can't afford it.

No-one is asking that this info should remain confidental, yet, our problems do not start or end with them.

Is it not hypocritical to complain of spin and then use it in the same post ?

Explain that please.

No problemz !

Firstly I should point out that I had actually agreed with you regarding this specific article on Somers, in that I thought there wasn't proportional material to justify the general tone and language of the piece, (see post 66 above).

However, your post on the matter spun your slant on events and passed it off as fact.

An example,............."What the press does is splash this rather obvious info with a nice negative stuff into our faces on a daily level".

Much of the "info" isn't "obvious" and has only been revealed because the board were forced into doing so by the law/regulations.

Because the info wasn't obvious, it is news and has a public interest value that also sells newspapers.

As for slants, it's difficult to come accross completely objective reporting or messageboard posts, they are rare beasts.

If you filter for facts or reasonable assumptions then in this case you look at the "info" provided and take from it what you will.

To say it was "obvious" is to go to the heart of what is actually of value within the report and poo poo it or it's significance.

Finally and generally, I'd say that the most dangerous or potentially damaging spin is that which is more difficult to detect.

Especially that, that attempts to introduce mind-sets on certain ongoing issues (worth a thread on it's own one day). This I feel has been of particular damage to the Rangers support over a long period of time and partly why we have not played a more active role in ongoing events over the past few years.