with what we are witnessing on the pitch i think they very much can.

I don't think they can. Any player worth his salt would immerse himself in football for his own betterment. We have a generation of footballers who feel the need to be pampered and who also feel some god given right to get paid obscene amounts of money for as little work as they possibly can.

I used to dislike Beckham till I read the Goalie's autobiography and read that after training sessions Beckham would have Goram stay behind so he could hit free kicks at him, and it would be into the hundreds at a time. An example of someone who truly loved his craft and constantly worked on his game - sadly a bit of a dying breed.

Players should have the self-awareness to understand what is lacking in their game and should have the personal determination to correct that. They have all the tools at their hands at Murray Park but the vast majority fail to utilize them.

One who did have the right attitude recently but who was let go was Andy Mitchell - I am very reliably informed that whilst on loan to Annan he would literally have to be dragged off the pitch at 9.30pm after training sessions so that people could close the stadium and get home. Having watched our young boys do a Q&A with him you can tell that he is very, very passionate about his football and always wants to improve upon his game - Lewis MacLeod is another that I have heard applies himself in the same manner. But too many hit the first team at the OF and think "I've made it, I don't need to work on my game anymore".

When I watch Rangers I continue to see free kicks and corners which don't clear the first defender, needlessly giving away possession under no pressure, consistent lack of a gameplan and tactics almost every week, lack of progress in first team particularly young players from MP, players played out of position not performing to a standard we might expect......I could go on and on.

We may differ about who runs Rangers but all of these stem from a very poor football management which badly needs addressed.

Sorry, but how can you blame the management for poorly taken free kicks and not clearing the first defender ? Are you seriously trying to suggest that the management team should be working on a 28 yr old's technique to clear the first defender ? If you haven't mastered that by the time you are 14 you should probably just give it up.

The management can be blamed for many things but under no circumstance can they be blamed for a player not being able to beat the first defender at set pieces (unless, of course, the management are telling them to hit the first defender or to hit the front post... and whilst many of us believe our management team are fools.... even they couldn't be that foolish).

Not everything mate but i know what you are saying. There is no doubt the coaching is worse than mediocre. Fwiw, Ian Black has been telling a friend about life at Auchenhowie and has been extremely scathing of what goes on under Ally. It didn't surprise me but it did sadden me.

Care to elaborate ? Or even PM me with what Black is saying ?? He is a fine one to talk if some of the rumours about his private life are even half true.....

I can find out but i would highly doubt it. At his age and with his demeanor on matchdays, he looks like he knows and has it all.

And that was my point..... players need the professional pride to want to improve themselves.

Players like Ian Black should be eternally grateful to someone like McCoist for giving them a chance to play at Rangers..... but even more so when they have been given a 8k a week wage - which is an obscene wage for someone of Black's limited ability. It is nigh on criminal how much the club is paying that guy. Shouldn't be on half that amount in my opinion.

Sorry, but how can you blame the management for poorly taken free kicks and not clearing the first defender ? Are you seriously trying to suggest that the management team should be working on a 28 yr old's technique to clear the first defender ? If you haven't mastered that by the time you are 14 you should probably just give it up.

The management can be blamed for many things but under no circumstance can they be blamed for a player not being able to beat the first defender at set pieces (unless, of course, the management are telling them to hit the first defender or to hit the front post... and whilst many of us believe our management team are fools.... even they couldn't be that foolish).

or how about getting someone else to take the freekicks & corners who CAN clear the first defender ? very simple. It's called organisation.

You think our complete inability to take effective set pieces for several years has nothing to do with management?

It has absolutely everything to do with management.

or how about getting someone else to take the freekicks & corners who CAN clear the first defender ? very simple. It's called organisation.

The manager doesn't need to determine that. Anyone that has played the game will know that sometimes you "feel it" and sometimes not. On the field of play when you have someone who is playing with confidence they should be saying "give me the ball, I'm hitting it" because they are playing confidently. Likewise, someone not playing well would more than likely shy away from hitting set pieces.

Football isn't, nor should it be, robotic - and by that I mean it shouldn't be "this guy must hit corners from this side and this guy must hit them from that side". Regardless, when a player cant clear the first defender that is because he has, simply, hit a shit set piece - are you telling me that is the fault of the manager ? The players themselves should be saying "that was pish, lets have someone else hitting them".

We have suffered from poor set pieces for as long as I can remember - and Walter's teams were shocking at set pieces too.... but his managerial record wasn't too shabby.

You think our complete inability to take effective set pieces for several years has nothing to do with management?

It has absolutely everything to do with management.

Didn't say it was NOTHING to do with the management....

Likewise, it isn't EVERYTHING to do with management. Or are you now saying McCoist hits the set pieces himself. At what point are you going to be willing to lay some responsibility for poor play and, specifically, poor set pieces, on poor execution from the players.

It is the use of these superlatives which have people annoyed at you SBS - because they clearly aren't factually correct.

If I am playing for my local team and hit a poor corner I am quite at liberty to blame the management for my poorly executed set piece ? I am hopeful that your clear intelligent self (because you clearly are intelligent) will actually see how unreasonable that is.