Leaving ICT was probably the biggest mistake he'll ever make

Easier to say in hindsight, but I don't think it was or will turn out to have been a mistake. He had taken ICT as far as they could go and kept them there for as long as they could be kept. Their crowds were static and the only way was down. Hibs presented a golden opportunity to really make a name for himself (as it will for the manager who does eventually turn them into a football team). As it turned out, I think history will judge him kindly. He inherited a deep-seated, long standing mess of someone else's making and with someone else's players - and he got punted before he was able to do the job he'd been hired for, i.e. turn that club around. Anyone who works with people in any sort of leadership/management role knows that if you get a bad mix or a bad bunch there is often not a lot you can do, other than get rid of them. He never got the chance.

Easier to say in hindsight, but I don't think it was or will turn out to have been a mistake. He had taken ICT as far as they could go and kept them there for as long as they could be kept. Their crowds were static and the only way was down. Hibs presented a golden opportunity to really make a name for himself (as it will for the manager who does eventually turn them into a football team). As it turned out, I think history will judge him kindly. He inherited a deep-seated, long standing mess of someone else's making and with someone else's players - and he got punted before he was able to do the job he'd been hired for, i.e. turn that club around. Anyone who works with people in any sort of leadership/management role knows that if you get a bad mix or a bad bunch there is often not a lot you can do, other than get rid of them. He never got the chance.

Agree with a lot of that, but in fairness, I'm not saying in hindsight that I think leaving ICT was probably the biggest mistake he'll ever make, I thought it as soon as he took the job because I didn't see him lasting long in the position. As you say though, it was an opportunity for him and at the time I could understand why he took it (despite thinking it was a mistake). He definitely wasn't given a proper chance to turn things around at Hibs, but the fans were up in arms after the club's relegation and they wanted Petrie's head, so it was always likely to be Butcher for the chop to try to appease them. History might judge him kindly as you say, but his time at Easter Road ended up being a disaster no matter what way you look at it, so he could do with his next managerial job being successful.

Agree with a lot of that, but in fairness, I'm not saying in hindsight that I think leaving ICT was probably the biggest mistake he'll ever make, I thought it as soon as he took the job because I didn't see him lasting long in the position. As you say though, it was an opportunity for him and at the time I could understand why he took it (despite thinking it was a mistake). He definitely wasn't given a proper chance to turn things around at Hibs, but the fans were up in arms after the club's relegation and they wanted Petrie's head, so it was always likely to be Butcher for the chop to try to appease them. History might judge him kindly as you say, but his time at Easter Road ended up being a disaster no matter what way you look at it, so he could do with his next managerial job being successful.

I can see him as a good fit for the Kilmarnock job after AJ gets punted - probably about 6 games into the campaign.

no , never , not in a million fucking years , if that arsehole is allowed anywhere near Ibrox in any capacity it will be the end of me

This for me as well.

Day he becomes our manager is the day I stop going

Eh, no, why would it?

He`s still going to Ibrox right now, and if Butcher comes he`s going to stop. Ergo, whatever is on display right now must be at least reasonably palatable or he would already be gone.