If you are bang to rights, deny, deny, deny! Any apology would have been viewed as insincere, and given that this is his third act, quite rightly so.

Having sat on football as well as other disciplinary committees I can assure you that you are wrong. If a player is obviously guilty of an offence he will only antagonise the committee by pleading innocence, particularly if he has "previous" to be taken into consideration.

I don't think the ban is long enough, should have been minimum 6 months. The next month has no football activity anyway as its pre-season and WC is over. The ban should start from August and he should still have his international ban.

I don't think the ban is long enough, should have been minimum 6 months. The next month has no football activity anyway as its pre-season and WC is over. The ban should start from August and he should still have his international ban.

A combination perhaps; 12 matches, a ban to the end of the world cup + 4 months from the beginning of August or better still banned till 31/12/14.

I think the ban is FAR too lenient.....remember this is not a 1st offence, but his 3rd!!!!

As pointed out somewhere, the £66k fine is about 3 days wages - pocket money to him. 1st month of his ban would probably see him doing very little playing anyway. He missed 9 Liverpool league matches & 3 CL/Euro matches - he could have missed that many with a pulled muscle.

However, Gordon Strachan was right on the money last night when asked about it......Suarez is too valuable an asset for much more to happen. He brings cash into the game, plain & simple. Liverpool will stand behind him & the fans will most likely cheer him onto the pitch on his return. He'll score a couple of goals and everything will be forgotten about....till the next time.

Would the situation have been different if it was a lesser known player....I very much think so. If it had been a Costa Rica player (for example), and a 3rd offence, he'd be gone from professional football.

Having sat on football as well as other disciplinary committees I can assure you that you are wrong. If a player is obviously guilty of an offence he will only antagonise the committee by pleading innocence, particularly if he has "previous" to be taken into consideration.

I've only ever been on the other side of the desk! :D

I think the ban is FAR too lenient.....remember this is not a 1st offence, but his 3rd!!!!

As pointed out somewhere, the £66k fine is about 3 days wages - pocket money to him. 1st month of his ban would probably see him doing very little playing anyway. He missed 9 Liverpool league matches & 3 CL/Euro matches - he could have missed that many with a pulled muscle.

However, Gordon Strachan was right on the money last night when asked about it......Suarez is too valuable an asset for much more to happen. He brings cash into the game, plain & simple. Liverpool will stand behind him & the fans will most likely cheer him onto the pitch on his return. He'll score a couple of goals and everything will be forgotten about....till the next time.

Would the situation have been different if it was a lesser known player....I very much think so. If it had been a Costa Rica player (for example), and a 3rd offence, he'd be gone from professional football.

It would appear so.

FIFA have, in part, reacted to the media onslaught towards Suarez following the match. While I believe the sanctions to be about right given his previous, I must question why there has been no retrospective action taken against Chiellini, Sakho and Giroud for their use of elbows. The media silence on them has been very telling.

If the football authorities are going to use video evidence to deal with incidents it must be done in an even-handed manner and not because of a baying press pack out for blood.

Italy defender criticises Fifa’s decision to hand Luis Suarez a four-month worldwide ban and admits he feels sympathy for the Uruguay striker

Giorgio Chiellini, the Italy defender bitten by Luis Suarez has branded Fifa’s punishment of the Liverpool forward “excessive”.

Chiellini has criticised Fifa’s decision to hand Suarez a four-month worldwide ban and admitted he feels sympathy for the 27-year-old and his family who he believes will suffer.

Suarez has been sent home from the Uruguay camp after biting the shoulder of Chiellini in the Group D game on Tuesday and is facing an uncertain future.

Uruguay have appealed against the ban while Liverpool are considering their options following the incident which has tarnished the World Cup in Brazil.

However, Suarez appears to have the unwavering support of his country while Diego Maradona, the Argentina legend, has also defended him, saying: "The Fifa sanction is shameful, they have no sensitivity towards the fans, they might as well handcuff him and throw him in Guantanamo."

Now Chiellini has expressed his disappointment at Fifa’s decision and says he feels no sense of revenge, after Italy were knocked out of the competition.

On his official website, the Juventus defender wrote: “Now inside me there’s no feelings of joy, revenge or anger against Suarez for an incident that happened on the pitch and that’s done.

“There only remains the anger and the disappointment about the match.

“At the moment my only thought is for Luis and his family, because they will face a very difficult period.

“I have always considered unequivocal the disciplinary interventions by the competent bodies, but at the same time I believe that the proposed formula is excessive.

“I sincerely hope that he will be allowed, at least, to stay close to his team-mates during the games because such a ban is really alienating for a player.”

Uruguay appealed the ban swiftly after Fifa’s decision and Suarez’s lawyer has claimed they are prepared to take their case to the Sport of Arbitration.

Wilmar Valdez, the Uruguay Football Association president, said: "The player of course, Luis, is very upset - he is very upset about the situation.

"Right now he is looking into it with his family, if he should travel back to Uruguay, and in this case we are going to support him in everything.

"He is not just a football player, he is a human being and it is a very difficult situation for him - and as a human being and a football player he is going to have the full support of the FA and the Uruguayans without a doubt.

"We are looking at the case with the lawyer and we are going to look at our strategy. The situation is being disputed - it really isn't clear and there isn't definitive evidence that allows us to say that this kind of sanction can be applied.

“We are talking nine games, four months and a financial penalty - so to me it really seems like a completely exaggerated and abusive sanction.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/luis-suarez/10930281/Luis-Suarezs-four-month-ban-is-excessive-says-World-Cup-2014-bite-victim-Giorgio-Chiellini.html

Probably feeling a bit sheepish after his own post-match histrionics, albeit said in the aftermath of early elimination, but those are the words of a great sportsman.