The football has been crap for years - for periods under Advocaat, Eck, PLG, Smith and Ally. At no point have season ticket or crowd numbers halved during these periods.

Sure there will be many fans disappointed in the football and I'd say it's that combined with the off-field issues that have led to such disappointing season ticket sales. The two are not mutually exclusive just like I'm sure there will be many fans annoyed with both issues that have renewed as well.

The simple fact is - at last official count - 20,000 fans had not renewed and those that run the club have failed to address the reasons why. I think everyone can agree with that.

We were winning meaningful trophies back then and playing in European competition. Nothing in the last 10 years has come close to the dross Ally has served up since he took over, nothing.

How anyone can pretend otherwise is beyond belief.

That's funny because I think the exact opposite, how anyone can claim the board are to blame is utter madness.

Most normal everyday fans couldn't care less about the board, they are football fans. Only on the online community is tier this minority talk about boycotts and unrest due to the board.

I personally away from the forum don't know anyone who has stopped going because of the board but I know plenty who can't stomach any more if McCoist.

We were winning meaningful trophies back then and playing in European competition. Nothing in the last 10 years has come close to the dross Ally has served up since he took over, nothing.

It's all relative.

Yes, we've seen winning teams and reasonably exciting periods but we've not seen good football since the days of Advocaat. If Rangers fans only went for a quality standard then crowds would have dwindled during the first spell of downsizing under Eck.

Of course the football is worse now. But so are the players and there's no doubt many fans (myself included) also agree that McCoist isn't the man to turn water into wine. However, it's very difficult to suggest just how many when (again myself included) will still attend matches this season despite that.

Like I say, the only certainty is that the club is failing to address the individual concerns we all have.

It's all relative.

Yes, we've seen winning teams and reasonably exciting periods but we've not seen good football since the days of Advocaat. If Rangers fans only went for a quality standard then crowds would have dwindled during the first spell of downsizing under Eck.

Of course the football is worse now. But so are the players and there's no doubt many fans (myself included) also agree that McCoist isn't the man to turn water into wine. However, it's very difficult to suggest just how many when (again myself included) will still attend matches this season despite that.

Like I say, the only certainty is that the club is failing to address the individual concerns we all have.

I have to disagree to an extant mate, we were winning and beating decent teams. Competing with top European sides. That's all stopped now. Fans are scunnered. Totally scunnered, some yea because of the board but IMO most about the standard of our play and lack of success.

We really don't know the breakdown in reasons why fans aren't renewing in the usual numbers, but there is much to mull over.

Is the Dave King/Richard Gough campaign a factor?

Without a doubt. When ticket sales fall off a cliff around the same time a campaign like this is receiving significant media attention, it simply has to be a contributing factor.

Is the rotten football a factor?

Most definitely. Not only are people no longer prepared to pay to watch the unimaginative guff that is regularly served up, some aren't even watching live streams of games any more, and often, if a Rangers game coincides with an important English or European game, they will watch the more entertaining alternative instead of the endurance test that is watching Rangers.

General disillusionment.

People are sick of the whole sorry tale. Between the board, the management, its lack of imagination and insatiable desire to sign elderly footballers; the failure to have a meaningful vision at any level and the experience of being part of a support that is often vindictive, hateful and small-minded, people are growing away from Rangers and finding better uses for their money and their time. In truth, many are beginning to realise that Rangers probably did disappear in 2012. The know that the club is still there but believe that its spirit has long since departed.

One point worth noting that has been said to me by several people who don't bother going now: if Dave King arrived and sorted out the mess behind the scenes and gave the manager a large cheque to bring in new blood, would they come back?

No. Not one.

The last straw for some people is when they return to Ibrox after having had a break from the football. When they see the same old junk being served up, they realise that they don't want to be there any more.

This is a complex business and none of us really knows how the future will pan out, but I think we should be able to agree on one thing. This chapter in the history of Rangers has been extremely damaging.

It hasn't been a journey. It has been a nightmare and some people can only escape it by chucking it.