These issues from years ago ....... STILL they remain

There's lots of evident issues & problems, although they're not all simple to fix when players still have contracts, the club can't afford pay-offs and also can't afford to buy good players. Not only that, but we're seriously lacking in the scouting department.

That said, Ally has either agreed to sign certain players which he could have refused to sign or he's signed certain players because he wanted them. Either way, bringing in too many aging journeymen or duds is ultimately the managers responsibility.

Regarding the right back position, I agree that Foster isn't good enough and I think quite a lot of us said as much as soon as news broke that we were linked to bringing him back to the club.

I'm not overly impressed by the new lad McGregor either. Like Foster, I just don't think he's good enough. I'd far rather see younger lads like Seb Faure, Craig Halkett or Luca Gasparotto being given a chance in our central defense than McGregor.

Jig is a major problem for Ally and most of us have been saying it for 2 or 3 years now. He did a reasonably good job when played up front in the 4th tier and scored quite a lot of goals, but as soon as he was moved back into central defense, the alarm bells started ringing and straight away I said that if Ally persists with Jig at CB it could end up costing him his job.

Overall, I think defense is definitely the teams weakest link and that is a major worry at the moment because we need it to be the strongest, not the weakest.

and play jig and zaluskas while ignoring gasperatto.

We should play McGregor and Zaliukas, on occasion Mohsni as well. Faure, Gasparotto and Halkett will come afterwards. Doesn't show vision, people will say. But rest assured, no manager of Rangers, old and new, will risk playing youngsters unless they have to and they are of exceptional talent. And should Gasparotto end up giving a goal away - against seasoned pros - he'll get slaughtered much like the rest, with only a few will point at his age. "When you're good enough, you're old enough." ... also swings both ways.

As for Wilson, one of the brightest stars on the scene, and those managers who had him we obviously a bit clueless about him too, at Liverpool, Blackpool, and Bristol City. Who knows why he chose Hearts when he did. To lay blame on that on Rangers doorstep sounds a touch strange though.

We should play McGregor and Zaliukas, on occasion Mohsni as well. Faure, Gasparotto and Halkett will come afterwards. Doesn't show vision, people will say. But rest assured, no manager of Rangers, old and new, will risk playing youngsters unless they have to and they are of exceptional talent. And should Gasparotto end up giving a goal away - against seasoned pros - he'll get slaughtered much like the rest, with only a few will point at his age. "When you're good enough, you're old enough." ... also swings both ways.

As for Wilson, one of the brightest stars on the scene, and those managers who had him we obviously a bit clueless about him too, at Liverpool, Blackpool, and Bristol City. Who knows why he chose Hearts when he did. To lay blame on that on Rangers doorstep sounds a touch strange though.

we should never have bought zaluskas. probably not mcgregor either.

mcgregor cant get a game for jig so must be abysmal and zaluskas is abysmal and will not be good enough next season and probably not this.

That's already happening with experienced players.....Gasparotto or Halkett ain't gonna do any worse.

I don't think they should be 1st picks by any means, but giving them a few starts ain't gonna do them any harm.

How do we know if any of these youngsters are good enough if they don't get a game???

Faure is almost 24 :laugh:. Once we have a competent manager the youth will get its chance.

That's already happening with experienced players.....Gasparotto or Halkett ain't gonna do any worse.

I don't think they should be 1st picks by any means, but giving them a few starts ain't gonna do them any harm.

How do we know if any of these youngsters are good enough if they don't get a game???

Honestly, while I truly understand the sentiment, our defenders gave what, 14 league goals away all of last season, primarily that was McCulloch and Mohsni? That argument stands between any change of personnel, no matter how woeful it looked at times. (And I don't like it one single bit.) We acquired two more, IMHO solid, CH this summer, most likely because the defence still looked vulnerable even to McCoist. These should be played ahead of at least McCulloch (none of my selection suggestions featured him), yet we persist with McCulloch. We lost two bad goals on Sunday, no doubt about that. Would anyone have felt any better had Halkett and Gasparotto be in the side? The whole team was woeful and whether another defender would have changed that is anyone's guess. There's no hope that our youngsters will be fielded ahead of those seasoned pros and we are left to debate hypotheses when claiming whether they will be better than McGregor, Zaliukas, and Mohsni ... or not. Only game time will give that answer, not personal preference.

What McCoist failed miserably in so far is using his new and IMHO best CHs in pre-season. That could become costly, not just to the team.

BTW, Zaliukas. Ain't as tough as Darcheville or Mikhailichenko.

Honestly, while I truly understand the sentiment, our defenders gave what, 14 league goals away all of last season, primarily that was McCulloch and Mohsni? That argument stands between any change of personnel, no matter how woeful it looked at times. (And I don't like it one single bit.) We acquired two more, IMHO solid, CH this summer, most likely because the defence still looked vulnerable even to McCoist. These should be played ahead of at least McCulloch (none of my selection suggestions featured him), yet we persist with McCulloch. We lost two bad goals on Sunday, no doubt about that. Would anyone have felt any better had Halkett and Gasparotto be in the side? The whole team was woeful and whether another defender would have changed that is anyone's guess. There's no hope that our youngsters will be fielded ahead of those seasoned pros and we are left to debate hypotheses when claiming whether they will be better than McGregor, Zaliukas, and Mohsni ... or not. Only game time will give that answer, not personal preference.

What McCoist failed miserably in so far is using his new and IMHO best CHs in pre-season. That could become costly, not just to the team.

BTW, Zaliukas. Ain't as tough as Darcheville or Mikhailichenko.

We have rarely lost anything BUT bad goals.....