This was also suggested by a comment on Rangers Chat, since most everyone has a mobile phone I thought it would be easy to implement, so I discussed it with the TO Manager

(Incidentally, whilst you can check in online for United, you cannot print a boarding pass, the only option other then getting it printed at the airport is to have it downloaded to your phone, which is fine so long as you keep it charged and remember to open the app in advance when you are online. I also bought a ticket for Malaga and printed it off online, complete with a seating map and directions to the stadium.)

Anyway, the issue is cost. Rangers turnstiles are way out of date and could not support a bar code reader without major expense and the money simply isn't available at the moment.

I also thought that the smart cards could be activated instead of paper tickets, which would mean a major saving in printing, envelopes & postage as well staff time for enveloping & collections not to mention long wait times. Apparently the main issue here is that folk who buy on a per game basis want to have a paper ticket, especially if they are not using it themselves. Folk forget or lose their smart cards so they then have to be issued a paper ticket in any event.

It would be a boon to the staff in the TO, so I'll continue to push for it.

Anyway, the issue is cost. Rangers turnstiles are way out of date and could not support a bar code reader without major expense and the money simply isn't available at the moment.

Barcode scanners, even very high quality ones, aren't particularly expensive.

It's the installation of the other related hardware and creation of the custom software system that the real expense would be in, but even then, it wouldn't (or certainly shouldn't) be a vast cost overall.

It was explained that the software and systems used by the ticket office is no longer supported by the manufacturer/supplier and basically works on a wing and a prayer. They have been starved of investment for years.

This seems to be the general phrase for the whole club.

Forgetting the current executive board, the figure that would be needed to put Rangers right as a club in all areas would be an extremely large one.

I wont document the fiasco involved in picking up public sale tickets etc at Ibrox, port-a-cabin queues a mile long etc (which I have to do when I want to take my son) as we are all fully aware.

But just a few weeks ago before I went to Madrid I decided to see if I could get tickets for Athletico at home. I went online and was astounded when it gave me the option to buy online and print the 'ticket' off on my home printer. All I had to do was go to the turnstyle and get the barcode read. As easy as you like.

What the hell is stopping Rangers from adopting a similar setup and saving quite a few quid in admin at the same time I would imagine?

Maybe see it in 30 years or so

There is a warning to this, which is never buy a ticket from ebay etc. A colleague of mine bought a ticket for a pleasure park which was a printed barcode but the number at the gate had already been used. After travelling 2 hours she couldn't disappoint the kids and so had to pay the full original price. I can imagine fans desperate for a ticket could easily get conned.