Starting 'a new club' discussion from the AGM thread

a new rangers with no badge,strip, stadium,name, merchandise rights or history is not Rangers no matter how much we would want it to be. Personally think Ashley would preempt and take the rights for badges and any assorted merchandise rights before admin was through. Same with stadium etc there would be no more than a 50/50 chance of attaining any of the assets or rights. The only way is to fight smarter.

You have just advocated not boycotting tickets or merchandise. Can you explain the 'smartness' in doing that?

would it not be far better to fight for the club first before giving in and starting a fresh?

I think Ashely already has it sown up.

The only way we have to 'negotiate' with him is to not give him a penny and let him get on with an empty stadium. The Rangers I knew has already died.

Why put money into a venture you know has got a high sp.iv tax creaming revenue streams and the only ambition is corporate, in the beneficial interests of Sports Direct and assorted hangers-on ?

Edited by buster.

I suppose the only way to do it is not admins, liquidations, boycotts or any other plan, but the founding, from scratch, of a completely new club which is entirely, 100%, only and always about the 11 men in blue shirts and not about security over loans, mystery holding blocs, groups of requisitioners, merchandise deals or anything else you can think of.

The team and only the team.

It would need unbelievable strength of character, long term planning, collective action and the setting aside of ego. It could allow us to have a club rather than a business to follow, it could remind us why we love football and Rangers in the first place. It could attract the many hundreds (if not more) Rangers fans who won't touch the thing we see today with a barge pole, and who are in fact investing in other clubs even as we hirple on, getting further and further into the mire as we go. It could see a group of fans buy land, build a ground, assemble a team, work up from the very bottom, calling upon their reserves of strength and belief and achieve something that would be worth celebrating.

But in all truth, it seems very unlikely.

Certainly gets my vote.

would it not be far better to fight for the club first before giving in and starting a fresh?

Not for me, not anymore. Your reply to T4C is to the point, though, because it WOULD be a new club, without the history of trophies. But it would have the collective folk memory. I think it would be an impossible sell because, bluntly, I don't think enough Rangers fans have the guts to do it. We'd have to be open enough to say it is a new club, it doesn't have the history, but it's still more Rangers than the imposter playing out of Ibrox.

To be mildly insulting, it would require a lot of people who've banged on for years about having Presbyterian values actually putting them into practice. The evidence, though, is of a flock which prefers being led by an institutionalised hierarchy...maybe I'd better not give an example of one.

I just don't think people will buy into it.

Edited by andy steel

You have just advocated not boycotting tickets or merchandise. Can you explain the 'smartness' in doing that?

it keeps the club we love alive while we fight on other fronts. The death of Rangers should be avoided at all costs surely? Is that not a given? Personally nobody will make me surrender and kill off my club and then act like that is a victory.

I think Ashely already has it sown up.

The only way we have to 'negotiate' with him is to not give him a penny and let him get on with an empty stadium. The Rangers I knew has already died.

Why put money into a venture you know has got a high sp.iv tax creaming revenue streams and the only ambition is corporate, in the beneficial interests of Sports Direct and assorted hangers-on ?

he care not a bit about the club he will make money from the badges either way.

The only way to fight Ashley is with an equal and opposite force. That should be our goal.

Not for me, not anymore. Your reply to T4C is to the point, though, because it WOULD be a new club, without the history of trophies. But it would have the collective folk memory. I think it would be an impossible sell because, bluntly, I don't think enough Rangers fans have the guts to do it. We'd have to be open enough to say it is a new club, it doesn't have the history, but it's still more Rangers than the imposter playing out of Ibrox.

To be mildly insulting, it would require a lot of people who've banged on for years about having Presbyterian values actually putting them into practice. The evidence, though, is of a flock which prefers being led by an institutionalised hierarchy...maybe I'd better not give an example of one.

If Rangers fans started a brand new club, it would attract my support - not because I have given up on Rangers - but because Rangers has given up on me.

The fight to reclaim Rangers would continue, but while it remains in inappropriate ownership, fans who want to have a trusted club to support could have one, and they'd own it too.

There has been talk of an FC Rangers before, and the idea remained on the back burner, but perhaps the time is coming where ideas like this need to be properly looked at.

he care not a bit about the club he will make money from the badges either way.

The only way to fight Ashley is with an equal and opposite force. That should be our goal.

We haven't got equal force in the fight he'd prefer.

The only way to beat him is to ignore him and not spend a pound (he tends to get a lot for a pound)

Let him keep the badges, we'll get a new one.

Further down the line, there might be an opportunity to buy some stuff back.

Edited by buster.

just don't get why you would go that route before exhausting every other possibility first.