Starting 'a new club' discussion from the AGM thread

It may not work. It may not even be tried.

Most Rangers fans want a saviour to make Rangers right. They talk about fighting for the club but not only do they not know how to fight, they have hardly any tools and don't know who they should be fighting anyway.

Rangers goes all the way back to 1872 but a large number of Rangers fans are fully aware that while the continuation of the club is real and legal, its spirit has long since ascended to another place.

If it cannot be captured in this Rangers, a new one might have a purpose to serve.

When you mention the word 'saviour' I believe that is the root of the problem we are in.Too many in our support have had their heads turned by the likes of McColl, Kennedy and King.If these men genuinely wanted Rangers then they should have gone about it in the only way possible by acquiring a shareholding.There is no other way. The fact they havent tells me all I need to know.

A new Rangers is just plain laughable as far as I'm concerned.

See my reply to Rangersitis.

Hildy, I find your posts to be relentlessly negative, tbh.

Maybe you've just been ground down by the cumulative effect of the last few years, but when the only positive action you can suggest is to start a rival club, then I've got to question how deeply you subscribe to what I consider to be core values of our Club; loyalty & determination.

I've got my eyes wide open and I'm far from naive, but I'm nowhere near giving up on my Rangers.

I want Rangers to be fan-owned. That's why I support the RST, its BuyRangers scheme and its merchandising initiatives.

I saw this nightmare coming years ago and it pains me to have watched it unfold while people bang on about loyalty. Would you be loyal to Rangers no matter who owned it? The test of loyalty is to do the right thing rather than continuing to tolerate mediocrity and a lack of integrity.

It is not healthy to financially prop up dubious ownership. Many thousands will stay away from Rangers until it is cleansed. A new club will give them a focal point until the original either fixes or folds.

We all want Rangers to flourish but our negligence has brought us, inevitably, to this.

People will not be taken for mugs - and that's what this Rangers board appears to think that we are.

There is no solace in those words. A prime example of Corporate Model of UK plc has the club by the balls, & no amount of rallying calls from another century is going to achieve anything. We have no recourse to law, nor public influence. We have no channels open which could 'bat' for us. We have a chronic PR problem. We have an in some ways out of date stadium which will become an increasing drain on scarce funds. We have extremely limited revenue generating options. We have competitors from across Europe and the world on our TV's daily and no means to compete with them. We have contemptuous fat cats and dimwitted simpletons comprising the board. We have tactically backward coaches training the team. We have a collapsed scouting system and what looks a lot like a youth system being choked of funding.

No doubt I've left plenty out. These are not 'trials' not temporary, on the pitch 'failure'; these are the visible symptoms of a failed club. Struth's words have their place in the history of the club but taking them as a template for rescuing a 21st century business entity is not one of them. No doubt many in Pakistan would look to some rousing words from Jinnah in these times of crisis for that state but it won't actually do anything tangible to change things.

Well, you've summed up the current situation fairly well, but your conclusion doesn't follow from the summation. I'd pick you up on two points.

First, the symptoms you cite are the signs of a failing club, not a failed one. The club will only have failed when the last of us stops going.

Second, Struth's words are not a rousing, rallying call; they are a credo. These are trials which, like all things, are temporary and his words are more apposite today than ever before.

He may not have forseen the exact nature of the trials and tribulations, but he was smart enough to know we'd face them - and it is how we face them which will determine the future of the club. Rangers is only of interest to Ashley because of who we are and the size of our support. If the support refuses to play ball, he will have no reason to waste time on us.

We can either stand fast to that credo, and face down Ashley, or we can surrender to defeatism and run around in a panic, talking about giving up and starting again with new clubs.

Talk of new clubs and starting again is nonsense - if we can give up on Rangers so easily, how much more easily will we give up on whatever new club takes its place?

No, if we give up on Rangers, Rangers dies. End of. And for me, personally, football would die. I could never truly care about any other club and my only interest would be in the national team - and that would be too big a loss.

So for me there is only one possible option. No Surrender.

When you mention the word 'saviour' I believe that is the root of the problem we are in.Too many in our support have had their heads turned by the likes of McColl, Kennedy and King.If these men genuinely wanted Rangers then they should have gone about it in the only way possible by acquiring a shareholding.There is no other way. The fact they havent tells me all I need to know.

Nobody wants a saviour more than you, Rab, and this makes you typical of the Rangers support whose heads were turned long, long ago.

I believe we should do things by ourselves.

You want a David Murray or a Mike Ashley.

Your head was turned before you had even heard of Dave King, but you are not alone.

Well, you've summed up the current situation fairly well, but your conclusion doesn't follow from the summation. I'd pick you up on two points.

First, the symptoms you cite are the signs of a failing club, not a failed one. The club will only have failed when the last of us stops going.

Second, Struth's words are not a rousing, rallying call; they are a credo. These are trials which, like all things, are temporary and his words are more apposite today than ever before.

He may not have forseen the exact nature of the trials and tribulations, but he was smart enough to know we'd face them - and it is how we face them which will determine the future of the club. Rangers is only of interest to Ashley because of who we are and the size of our support. If the support refuses to play ball, he will have no reason to waste time on us.

We can either stand fast to that credo, and face down Ashley, or we can surrender to defeatism and run around in a panic, talking about giving up and starting again with new clubs.

Talk of new clubs and starting again is nonsense - if we can give up on Rangers so easily, how much more easily will we give up on whatever new club takes its place?

No, if we give up on Rangers, Rangers dies. End of. And for me, personally, football would die. I could never truly care about any other club and my only interest would be in the national team - and that would be too big a loss.

So for me there is only one possible option. No Surrender.

Strictly you're right about failing/failed. But it wouldn't take the doors being locked for the club to be accurately described as 'failed'. Average crowds of 10-15,000, perennial mid-table status (in God knows what league), in hock to the neck to MASH, village idiots in the boardroom. I call it failure.

If Struth's words are a credo we have already failed to live by them, repeatedly, over a period of decades. From the reaction to Stein's celtc, through Grieg's tenure, through the end of Advocaat's time, PLG & now McCoist, I haven't seen any evidence of tolerance or overmuch sanity, especially in the internet age! To expect them to provide a light now, when we're in a bigger mess than ever before, is to be optimistic to a level I can't reach.

To be clear, when I say we'd be better starting again I'm not calling for a single person to agree with me, nor do I think it will even happen. I think we're down and probably out, others won't. Given that, there will be different views of what continuing to fight entails.

Nobody wants a saviour more than you, Rab, and this makes you typical of the Rangers support whose heads were turned long, long ago.

I believe we should do things by ourselves.

You want a David Murray or a Mike Ashley.

Your head was turned before you had even heard of Dave King, but you are not alone.

Amongst all the bullshit, spin and opacity, how can you expect the fans to all see the same vision and come to the same conclusion you do? It's unrealistic to expect us all to pull in the same direction when we're wandering in a constant fog of disorientation.

Even fan ownership requires a saviour of sorts - a leader charismatic enough to convince us all to sing from the same sheet. If he/she has a few bob him/herself, he/she's much more likely to succeed. (I added the gender option thinking of Budge, not because I want a ladyboy to own us - although for PC reasons I should add, that would also be fine providing he/she is the best man/woman for the job).

Edited by Thinker

Yeah they should try to buy 51 percent. Oh wait.....