Please pick which resolutions you are in favour of  

538 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick which resolutions you are in favour of

• The removal of David Somers as a director of the Company
    • The removal of James Easdale as a director of the Company
    • The removal of Derek Llambias as a director of the Company
    • The removal of Barry Leach as a director of the Company
    • The appointment of David King as a director of the Company
    • The appointment of Paul Murray as a director of the Company.
    • The appointment of John Gilligan as a director of the Company

However, it is my opinion that he is "on the team" principally as a link to the RST (nothing wrong with that per se) and the Members such as Andy Smillie. In that context he promised much and totally failed to deliver when he was the much touted go between the RST and the Members in 2010. His connections in the drinks trade might be useful but essentially he seems to have been some kind of super salesman who rose through the ranks to the top job.

With respect BH, the above quotes are absolute nonsense. John has been approached as he has countless contacts in Scottish business circles, is a well-respected businessman in his own right, and also can call amongst his friends and acquaintances just about all of the people and businesses that have inhabited the sponsorship lounges at Ibrox in the last generation who will be targeted to return once the club is in safe hands. He also attends every match home and away and often travels on my supporters bus, so he knows full well the depth of feeling amongst "ordinary" Bears that have seen their club pulled apart over the last few years.

I know John pretty well and was sitting beside him on Sunday during the first half of the match. Obviously our discussions regarding all things Rangers shall remain private between us, but I know John will work tirelessly (and has already been doing so over the last few weeks/months) to bring attractive sponsorship, commercial contracts, and hospitality usage back to the club, while advising the board on who our enemies are in the media, and who we can trust.

It is true that he was vice-chair of the RST for a while, but I am not sure how much, if any, his involvement with it is or has been for the last few years. If we had a board made up of several guys of the calibre of John Gilligan we would be back on top in no time, I have absolutely no doubt of that.

I have never met the man but I am assured he is a very nice person and a genial host at dinners and the like.

However, it is my opinion that he is "on the team" principally as a link to the RST (nothing wrong with that per se) and the Members such as Andy Smillie. In that context he promised much and totally failed to deliver when he was the much touted go between the RST and the Members in 2010.

I found this "Before being recruited to Tennent’s, Gilligan spent a number of years working for drinks merchant Inverarity Morton but spent most of his career at Scottish & Newcastle (S&N). "

http://www.scotsman.com/business/retail/interview-john-gilligan-and-stephen-annand-of-tennent-s-1-2210057

and this "John Gilligan started out as a Trainee Salesman with Dryburghs, bringing over 30 years of contacts and experience in the Scottish drinks industry to his role as Sales Managing Director, the ‘dream job’ he was appointed to in 2011"

His connections in the drinks trade might be useful but essentially he seems to have been some kind of super salesman who rose through the ranks to the top job.

and this http://www.thedrum.com/news/2012/09/07/tennents-announces-senior-commercial-promotions-john-gilligan-named-managing

Dearie dearie me!

I think i've voted correctly this time.

That's quite the post BH. I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he's Andrew Carnegie but as CVs go his isn't bad. Aren't all successful business people basically 'super salesman' or have I missed something in the last 20 years?

The results of the poll are convincingly in favour of all 7 resolutions and I can confirm that I have voted accordingly in respect of Gersnet's membership of BR and RF.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Sorry if some found the polls a bit misleading and the format can be reviewed for any future polls.

I don't doubt that there are potential directors out there who may be better qualified than Gilligan and Murray - but are any of them prepared to put themselves in the line of fire for all the crap that is coming from the other sides PR machines, crap that will intensify as the EGM approaches. You only need to think of the naked threats that the poison dwarf issued against Jim McColl when he was involved with the requisitioners.

I don't doubt that there are potential directors out there who may be better qualified than Gilligan and Murray - but are any of them prepared to put themselves in the line of fire for all the crap that is coming from the other sides PR machines, crap that will intensify as the EGM approaches. You only need to think of the naked threats that the poison dwarf issued against Jim McColl when he was involved with the requisitioners.

Once they are in office they will be getting the same battering from the support,that's the way life is. People remember the bad things you do and rarely the good things.

I have never met the man but I am assured he is a very nice person and a genial host at dinners and the like.

However, it is my opinion that he is "on the team" principally as a link to the RST (nothing wrong with that per se) and the Members such as Andy Smillie. In that context he promised much and totally failed to deliver when he was the much touted go between the RST and the Members in 2010.

I found this "Before being recruited to Tennent’s, Gilligan spent a number of years working for drinks merchant Inverarity Morton but spent most of his career at Scottish & Newcastle (S&N). "

http://www.scotsman.com/business/retail/interview-john-gilligan-and-stephen-annand-of-tennent-s-1-2210057

and this "John Gilligan started out as a Trainee Salesman with Dryburghs, bringing over 30 years of contacts and experience in the Scottish drinks industry to his role as Sales Managing Director, the ‘dream job’ he was appointed to in 2011"

His connections in the drinks trade might be useful but essentially he seems to have been some kind of super salesman who rose through the ranks to the top job.

and this http://www.thedrum.com/news/2012/09/07/tennents-announces-senior-commercial-promotions-john-gilligan-named-managing

To me there is a wiff of snobbery under the covers of that post, I can't help think there was an element of 'looking down the nose'. Apologies if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

The 'super salesman' comment is quite insulting, and a pretty shallow jibe if you ask me. Even when John was back in his S&N role he was involved in hospitality within Ibrox and he worked very closely with Sandy Jardine. (BTW Sandy worked with John at S&N before getting a role back at the Club. Just a salesman though eh?).

John was very successful at his job because he knew how to deal with and treat people. He made a lot of friends and contacts accordingly. He was also very successful because of his marketing skills. Add these marketing skills to the fact that he knows the Rangers support inside out, and why might end up with some decent marketing that the fans can relate to, as opposed to Semi-Final T -shirts etc.

Rather than just being a good salesman, John has a number of strings to his bow, but maybe the 'working class' man on the board doesn't suit all???

To me there is a wiff of snobbery under the covers of that post, I can't help think there was an element of 'looking down the nose'. Apologies if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

The 'super salesman' comment is quite insulting, and a pretty shallow jibe if you ask me. Even when John was back in his S&N role he was involved in hospitality within Ibrox and he worked very closely with Sandy Jardine. (BTW Sandy worked with John at S&N before getting a role back at the Club. Just a salesman though eh?).

John was very successful at his job because he knew how to deal with and treat people. He made a lot of friends and contacts accordingly. He was also very successful because of his marketing skills. Add these marketing skills to the fact that he knows the Rangers support inside out, and why might end up with some decent marketing that the fans can relate to, as opposed to Semi-Final T -shirts etc.

Rather than just being a good salesman, John has a number of strings to his bow, but maybe the 'working class' man on the board doesn't suit all???

NO.

It was purely and simply the case that my only indirect contact with the man was when he promised a great deal and failed to deliver anything to the RST in 2009-10.

More than happy to accept TB's opinion based on personal acquaintance and your knowledge of his marketing skills.

That said I also recall BD saying that he felt there were many better qualified people for the role than Mr Gilligan (paraphrasing, feel free to research the quote) and I respect his opinion as well.

If he is elected as a Director of the Club then I would certainly wish him every success.

NO.

It was purely and simply the case that my only indirect contact with the man was when he promised a great deal and failed to deliver anything to the RST in 2009-10.

More than happy to accept TB's opinion based on personal acquaintance and your knowledge of his marketing skills.

That said I also recall BD saying that he felt there were many better qualified people for the role than Mr Gilligan (paraphrasing, feel free to research the quote) and I respect his opinion as well.

If he is elected as a Director of the Club then I would certainly wish him every success.

I'm curious about something. Did you watch the Dave King interview last week, with Paul Murray and John Gilligan (If you didn't I think you were probably the only Rangers fan this side of the Zambeze River who didn't)?