Rangers fans sign up to repair crumbling Ibrox Stadium...

It is not just about insurance Ian. Insurance is paid out after an accident happens. It is about making sure the up most is done to stop accidents happening. Making sure people are sufficiently trained for the work they are doing. Making sure general safety practices are followed and not set aside to avoid costs or time. There are British and European standards that have to be met and if they are not followed and an accident does happen then it is possible someone will be taken to court with the possibility of a jail sentence. With yo working on the rigs I am sure you are pretty well up on safety procedures.

If there's an SHE advisor in that group of volunteers then it shouldn't be a problem

They also must have searched hard and long for the appropriate photo!

Disagree, the footprint around the club is, in places, terrible. The walk up from the tube is thru streets with rubbish usually on them (same as most of the town, in fairness), the walk down from Bellahouston past the giant police station is rarely if ever tidied so litter blown in just stays there, the walk down from PRW is on broken pavements and usually burst water pipes, while the old industrial area behind the Govan/Broomloan stands is just plain depressing.

Granted we have plenty in house work before we look at the surrounding area, but it's a damning indictment of Glasgow City Council. With a generator of activity like Ibrox in the middle of quite a bit of deprivation, there should have been partnerships set up years ago to encourage investment by restauranteurs and retailers, creating real jobs (not zero hours), shops which would feed off the people who go up to Ibrox just coz it's there. If there were facilities more and more would kick about Ibrox even on non-match days, the aim would be to create a social destination rather than 'just' a stadium.

This being Glasgow you'd have to employ stewards or security staff, creating more jobs (not zero hours) and cleaners (not zero hours), and delivery drivers to supply goods, and managers to run shops, and ancilliary shops to feed workers, and maybe a petrol station to provide that service, and the whole area grows and grows. This is all idealistic I know, but even this broad sketch shows how you could be paying maybe 50 people to work, rather than abandoning them to the vagaries of the market or the welfare system. Get some Keynsian economics going down Govan way!

Edited by andy steel

Remember someone posting a year ago that replacing the software for the turnstiles would cost a mint. I think we'd be as well installing manually operated jobs and paying people a small wage and if, at some point in the future, we can go over to operator free tech, fair enough. But it would be a lot less to pay 2 or 3 dozen people twice a week than to splash out £x million on a new system.

Remember someone posting a year ago that replacing the software for the turnstiles would cost a mint. I think we'd be as well installing manually operated jobs and paying people a small wage and if, at some point in the future, we can go over to operator free tech, fair enough. But it would be a lot less to pay 2 or 3 dozen people twice a week than to splash out £x million on a new system.

that was a manually operated turnstyle. The poor guy kept apologising, felt sorry for him.

No I wouldn't, I witness instances every day so I'm aware of potential HSE incidents,but you seem to be making an issue before the event!, I think you just want the job of safety officer:).

The oil & gas industry is always looking for propery NEBOSH qualified safety officers!,you should try Allseas.com

Yes I would love the job.:) The fact I have lost 3 very close colleagues in a 4 year period because they felt under production pressure makes me err on the safe side I am afraid. Thanks for the info Ian and I see plenty of jobs in Rotterdam for the gas and chemical industries. Unfortunately my expertise is in machine safety at the moment so that would mean doing further courses.

My first job is getting my health tip top again.