Rangers fans sign up to repair crumbling Ibrox Stadium...

Disagree, the footprint around the club is, in places, terrible. The walk up from the tube is thru streets with rubbish usually on them (same as most of the town, in fairness), the walk down from Bellahouston past the giant police station is rarely if ever tidied so litter blown in just stays there, the walk down from PRW is on broken pavements and usually burst water pipes, while the old industrial area behind the Govan/Broomloan stands is just plain depressing.

Granted we have plenty in house work before we look at the surrounding area, but it's a damning indictment of Glasgow City Council. With a generator of activity like Ibrox in the middle of quite a bit of deprivation, there should have been partnerships set up years ago to encourage investment by restauranteurs and retailers, creating real jobs (not zero hours), shops which would feed off the people who go up to Ibrox just coz it's there. If there were facilities more and more would kick about Ibrox even on non-match days, the aim would be to create a social destination rather than 'just' a stadium.

This being Glasgow you'd have to employ stewards or security staff, creating more jobs (not zero hours) and cleaners (not zero hours), and delivery drivers to supply goods, and managers to run shops, and ancilliary shops to feed workers, and maybe a petrol station to provide that service, and the whole area grows and grows. This is all idealistic I know, but even this broad sketch shows how you could be paying maybe 50 people to work, rather than abandoning them to the vagaries of the market or the welfare system. Get some Keynsian economics going down Govan way!

Kinning Park, Cessnock and Ibrox have a serious litter problem. It is not the same as the rest of the town, it is worse. It is the result of a number of factors. Firstly the council has other priorities for our money. Secondly, and I've witnessed this to my horror, when the council actually pays people to pick up rubbish those people are not quite zealots. Thirdly, many of the people in these areas don't care about their surroundings. Finally on about 25 days out of 365 a large crowd of people arrive leading to overflowing litter bins and inevitably litter.

The stuff about restaurants and retail is a load of rubbish. People will not go there on non match days partly because of what I mention above. I think you had better come to terms with the fact that Ibrox plays a part in the local economy. It provides a low cost area, with good transport links, for people to live in.

Instead of coming up with silly ideas about turning Ibrox into a boom town we should, perhaps, just start up a team of volunteers to pick up litter on match days . . .

Kinning Park, Cessnock and Ibrox have a serious litter problem. It is not the same as the rest of the town, it is worse. It is the result of a number of factors. Firstly the council has other priorities for our money. Secondly, and I've witnessed this to my horror, when the council actually pays people to pick up rubbish those people are not quite zealots. Thirdly, many of the people in these areas don't care about their surroundings. Finally on about 25 days out of 365 a large crowd of people arrive leading to overflowing litter bins and inevitably litter.

The stuff about restaurants and retail is a load of rubbish. People will not go there on non match days partly because of what I mention above. I think you had better come to terms with the fact that Ibrox plays a part in the local economy. It provides a low cost area, with good transport links, for people to live in.

Instead of coming up with silly ideas about turning Ibrox into a boom town we should, perhaps, just start up a team of volunteers to pick up litter on match days . . .

Both you and Andy might be interersted to read this and other publications by SD on football's value to the local economy http://www.supporters-direct.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/svoff-summary-report.pdf

I think your idea about volunteer litter collectors on match days is excellent, perhaps Mr Graham should be put in charge. :D

But equally a fan education programme on the subject might not go amiss.

When I come back to Glasgow I am really quite shocked about the amount of litter overall. I must admit when I first moved to Holland I also threw litter on the ground with the motto I am keeping someone in a job. My wife soon knocked that out of me.:D these days you are not keeping someone in a job unfortunately you are just creating a mess that will probably never be cleared up. The Dutch and Germans seem to be far more environment friendly in these matters, Although around McDonald buildings can also be a litter bin even in Holland.

I think your idea about volunteer litter collectors on match days is excellent, perhaps Mr Graham should be put in charge. :D

Or even, Mr Liambias, Mr Leech, Mr McCoist and Mr McDowell seeing as how they are still drawing a salary :)

Round of applause for those willing to take part....really top notch. But its going to take a mammoth get together and planning to sort it out.....Im willing to take the Project Managers job on board at no cost. :cool: