Stuart McCall officially confirmed as new Rangers manager

McCall is playing mind games here to get promotion.

He's trying to make these players think they're as good as they were when they joined Rangers but we all know they've since regressed.

Dangling the carrot of new contracts is likewise.We all know only one or two from the dozen or so who are out of contract at the end of the season might get an offer but he's probably hoping this might improve the performances of the others. Whether it works or not is another matter

Yes - it's definitely all mind games - and I guess that's one of the main options open to him to see if he can get anythging out of the lazy buggers.

The probelm is that majority know they will have no future at Rangers so - in their minds, - why will they care if we go up or not. That 'couldn't give a f.uck attitude' has been evident for months.

When McCall says that they are underperforming this season and that many of them are actually really good players - who is he referring to ?

We have no 'really good' players.

I don't think they are 'undeperforming' as such - they are just shite players. I'm not expecting much of an upturn as I don't believe these players have it in them to be much better.

And when he talks about some of the out of contarct players playing for a new contract - that frightens the life out of me. I suppose he has to say that. I sincerely hope he doesn't actually mean it. NONE are worthy of a new contract, unless it's for cleaning the bogs !!!

You must think Ally is a great manager then as when he had the same shite players, they were the most consistent winners in our league despite all the off-field problems.

We've gone from 81.5% win rate under McCoist to 30% under McDowall, don't you think that with the boardroom change, the new optimism, the crowds improving, and a new manager, we should at least be able to have an upturn from 30% back up to over 80% win rate?

The players have it in them to be better as they've already been better this season - even with supposedly the worst manager in Scotland and supposedly playing the shitest football.

Surely, without the boycott and fan acrimony, without the continual boardroom crises, without the depression over Ibrox with the job cuts and everything else that's happened, without all the uncertainty about getting paid, or that there will be a Rangers at all, there is potential for vast improvement from the players from where they were in the first half of the season, never mind now?

McCall will have something that McCoist and McDowall never had - a boardroom of guys who have the interests of the club at heart, a board who are not just there to fill their pockets with as much loot as they can.

The players are obviously despondent, apathetic and totally lacking any motivation - and some of the problems that caused that are still there such as contracts ending, Newcastle loanees taking places in the team, low confidence etc.

Motivation is where a new manager can often shake things up - the feel good factor, players looking to impress for a place in the team and new contracts, a new sense of purpose and drive, and even just the enthusiasm of a new guy and sense of change for the better.

If McCoist and McDowall were really the poor managers that the memes suggest then we should be expecting better results than both of them (and better football) from the players we have - which pretty much points to at least a 90% win rate. With that kind of form, you would have to think it probable that we'd get promoted.

You must think Ally is a great manager then as when he had the same shite players, they were the most consistent winners in our league despite all the off-field problems.

We've gone from 81.5% win rate under McCoist to 30% under McDowall, don't you think that with the boardroom change, the new optimism, the crowds improving, and a new manager, we should at least be able to have an upturn from 30% back up to over 80% win rate?

The players have it in them to be better as they've already been better this season - even with supposedly the worst manager in Scotland and supposedly playing the shitest football.

Surely, without the boycott and fan acrimony, without the continual boardroom crises, without the depression over Ibrox with the job cuts and everything else that's happened, without all the uncertainty about getting paid, or that there will be a Rangers at all, there is potential for vast improvement from the players from where they were in the first half of the season, never mind now?

McCall will have something that McCoist and McDowall never had - a boardroom of guys who have the interests of the club at heart, a board who are not just there to fill their pockets with as much loot as they can.

The players are obviously despondent, apathetic and totally lacking any motivation - and some of the problems that caused that are still there such as contracts ending, Newcastle loanees taking places in the team, low confidence etc.

Motivation is where a new manager can often shake things up - the feel good factor, players looking to impress for a place in the team and new contracts, a new sense of purpose and drive, and even just the enthusiasm of a new guy and sense of change for the better.

If McCoist and McDowall were really the poor managers that the memes suggest then we should be expecting better results than both of them (and better football) from the players we have - which pretty much points to at least a 90% win rate. With that kind of form, you would have to think it probable that we'd get promoted.

You make some good points.

I certainly do not rate Ally a s a good manager.

For me, since day one against Hearts we have been dire. There have been far too many players going through the motions - but there are also far too many players who are simply not very good footballers.

Personally I can't see us going up. I believe will will finish third, and can't see us coming through 3 sets of play offs. Negative, yes, but I fell that is a realistic prediction.

I think I need to report you to police Scotland for posting such an offence to my intelligence.. to equate Ally as a decent manager because he was better than the car crash that was Mcdowell is just plain ridiculous. Allys was in the shit with this lot despite him assembling the squad at huge cost (wages) and being completely satisfied with said squad.

I think I need to report you to police Scotland for posting such an offence to my intelligence.. to equate Ally as a decent manager because he was better than the car crash that was Mcdowell is just plain ridiculous. Allys was in the shit with this lot despite him assembling the squad at huge cost (wages) and being completely satisfied with said squad.

You do not want to see the head to head stats for mccoist and McCall then

Having the squad that we have, earning the wages that they do, playing in the league that we do....an 81% win rate is terrible!!!!

One thing I think McCall has in his favour is that he can setup a TEAM. He took a group of middle to decent players at Motherwell and turned them into a well functioning unit - something we have been lacking for FAR too long.

Edited by Darthter

You do not want to see the head to head stats for mccoist and McCall then

what head to head stats? These will only be relevant when mcall has Rangers stats to compare.!!!!

Anyone who watched our games knows what a dire manager Ally was. Quoting his win record (which is wrong) when we were mainly playing part-timers is hilarious.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Ha, offence to your intelligence! Yes, I must admit I expected a higher level. Read the post again and this time try to be the little brain that could... Why do so many have start with this kind of antagonistic crap just because they don't see things exactly the same?

The simple point you're failing to grasp is I'm not saying McCoist was a decent manager, I'm saying that if we now have a much better manager than him, shouldn't the players now be able to do better than they did under McCoist? After all he had the best win rate in all competitions in our league despite being handicapped by all our off-field problems.

Another way of looking at the point is that if you think our team can't get better than it is at the moment, then how could a poor manager like McCoist get so much more out of them with the backdrop of a constant crisis of a board ripping us to shreds?

As for comparing Ally with McDowall, I've consistently maintained that the former is pretty average (another thing you should perhaps concentrate your offended intelligence on before jumping in), and I think the latter has clearly demonstrated things could have been worse - although there are mitigating circumstances which may exacerbate the difference somewhat.

I'll explain it once again so there's no excuses: if we now have a BETTER manager than McCoist (whatever his level) then it obviously follows that the players have the POTENTIAL to be BETTER under the new one than they were with Ally. However, whether that potential is realised in time is another thing and depends on a lot of diverse factors.

I personally believe we now have a better manager (although his cup record is suspect) and I also believe that we've hit rock bottom and the only way is up.

I personally think we have a squad of slightly better talent to Hearts and somewhat better than Hibs - but I think those two are right now, playing better as a team. In the head to games, I think they were far more up for it than our players (and manager) and that always makes a difference. I think a half-decent Rangers manager has the opportunity to create a better team from our squad than those in Edinburgh - if he can get the players apply themselves, become motivated and really want it with a passion.

Anyone who watched our games knows what a dire manager Ally was. Quoting his win record (which is wrong) when we were mainly playing part-timers is hilarious.

Again, why do we have to have this kind of antagonistic crap on here? I really wish some people could really just make a decent, intelligent point. I think you should change your user name to "The Jellyfish".

You sound like you're a bit demented with your constant hilarity at anything demonstrates you are constantly wrong. You obviously have no idea how dire McCoist was as you don't understand the results and you were adamant that it couldn't be any worse...

His record this season is a relevant fact no matter who we were playing and no matter your opinion of good or bad Ally was - that's the point of facts, stats and graphs, the give some objectivity in juxtaposition to a highly subjective view. It also seems you strangely don't realise we're still playing in the same league with the same teams - part-time or not.

BTW Here's a point about facts and graphs - any guy who watches telly thinks he knows what a good picture is by looking at it; a guy working for Samsung on a new telly, uses measurements, stats and graphs, to show him when he's made a telly with a better picture. A guy who's stacking shelves at Tesco has no use for stats and graphs, the CEO has a lot of use for them.

It really is weird that some people are so into trashing McCoist that they don't even get that they vociferously argue against themselves when they assert our team can't get better without him.

I'll re-iterate: The logic is that the WORSE you think McCoist was as a manager, the MORE potential the team has under a good manager.

Therefore the WORSE you think McCoist is, it seems to me that the MORE you should be agreeing with my point. At least try to get some consistency in your views, the constant flip-flopping so you can insult people and pretend your are right is really tedious.