Stuart McCall officially confirmed as new Rangers manager

Is that for real?? They have been in office for six days. They haven't even had time to find the phone numbers of people they want to call yet.

After Tue.'s result I commend them for recognizing that something absolutely had to be done to attempt to save the season. This is not how the team, or the team management (probably), will look going into next season.

They have at least recognized that the support deserves better than abject misery for now.

Don't judge the board by your own standards. Judge them by the standards you would expect from a Rangers board of directors.

It has been known since Kenny McDowall was appointed manager that this was not a satisfactory situation - and he's been working his notice. He should have been replaced on day one of the new board with either a short-term candidate, or ideally, a long-term one, but despite knowing the situation full well, we kept him for two more games and had no-one ready to take the reins.

When they finally addressed the matter, they were turned down by Walter Smith and had to go for their second choice - Stuart McCall.

It all seems to have come down to which one of their Rangers-minded friends was going to get the job. This is not satisfactory - or acceptable.

I would suggest that you make comfort with your pain until at least the end of the season, because the board have made their move for now. Let's hope it is successful, eh?

It is because I want Rangers to be successful that I have been critical of the new board.

We should be holding it to account. It seems that we are quick to backslap McCall but reluctant to look closely at the board's inadequacy on this matter.

Truth is McCall was a better shout than Ally or Walter

We need to get up and I can't see McCall accepting a 2 month contract. I suspect he'll get next season too if he succeeds.

needs must.

but in the long run we'll be looking for coaches who can develop players

I don't think the board should be criticised for this appointment ....it is the next appointment that will need long-term thinking.

How could the board possibly done any better given the circumstances....look at the circumstances ....second tier of a backward football nation with a lazy group of players looking odds on not to get promoted .....yup hence the scramble from every up and coming manager / high profile coach to take the reins .....

Don't judge the board by your own standards. Judge them by the standards you would expect from a Rangers board of directors.

It has been known since Kenny McDowall was appointed manager that this was not a satisfactory situation - and he's been working his notice. He should have been replaced on day one of the new board with either a short-term candidate, or ideally, a long-term one, but despite knowing the situation full well, we kept him for two more games and had no-one ready to take the reins.

When they finally addressed the matter, they were turned down by Walter Smith and had to go for their second choice - Stuart McCall.

It all seems to have come down to which one of their Rangers-minded friends was going to get the job. This is not satisfactory - or acceptable.

They may well know right now they have to wait until the summer to get the right man long term

but they absolutely HAD to get someone in short term

whether it ultimately makes any difference i.e. we get promotion remains to be seen but mcD couldn't have been left there to go through the motions.

stv saying they are working on a deal that he gets a three year contract if he gets us promoted. promotion alone should not be the measure but also his ability to completely overhaul the whole football operation. im all for this on a purely to the end of season gig but commitments beyond that should be done with great caution..

That's extremely worrying if true.

That's extremely worrying if true.

If McCall gets Rangers promoted, the job will be his.

If he narrowly misses out after being seen to improve Rangers, it will be argued that he has done enough to be worthy of a longer contract.

If things improve a little and we lose in the playoffs - and how can things not improve - there may be a feeling from the board and other influential figures at the club that we should stick with him and give him a 'fair chance'. I'm sure you can imagine it: 'Now he knows what he has to do".

It will take quite a lot for Stuart McCall not to be given a longer contract at the end of this season.

Has a mystery man been identified who is waiting to come in and replace him at the end of the season?

If you believe that, you believe in the tooth fairy.

If McCall gets Rangers promoted, the job will be his.

If he narrowly misses out after being seen to improve Rangers, it will be argued that he has done enough to be worthy of a longer contract.

If things improve a little and we lose in the playoffs - and how can things not improve - there may be a feeling from the board and other influential figures at the club that we should stick with him and give him a 'fair chance'. I'm sure you can imagine it: 'Now he knows what he has to do".

It will take quite a lot for Stuart McCall not to be given a longer contract at the end of this season.

Has a mystery man been identified who is waiting to come in and replace him at the end of the season?

If you believe that, you believe in the tooth fairy.

One can only hope. What you said in the other post is pretty pre-emptive but I do also have concerns that we're going to get more of the same (pre-admin days). Appointing McCall next season would certainly suggest that.

We need long term planning, a sustainable infrastructure focusing on youth development and worldwide scouting, a brand of football we can get on board with and appointing a mediocre SPL manager is not a statement of intent.

King said he wants a coach, I can't think of many stand out players McCall has developed in his career. As I say, lets hope his appointment is temporary.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Am I the only one who is getting fed up with the negativity being displayed. The new board have only been in office for a very short time. They have acted quickly in hiring a bloke as manager who is almost certain to be an improvement on our previous two managers and yet some posters are moaning and groaning. Perhaps we were so used to deservedly find fault with the previous board that we have allowed ourselves to get into the habit of looking for things to gripe about. Good luck to our new board members and to Stuart McCall they are surely entitled to a bit of patience.