Stuart McCall officially confirmed as new Rangers manager

I digress we need to start seriously looking for the right manager who can change the whole culture and ethos of the football side now, McCall may well be a decent short term solution but we need to get away from that ilk for the Club to prosper longer term.

Thank the lord , a kindred spirit , was beginning to feel lonely

Thank the lord , a kindred spirit , was beginning to feel lonely

Do you have anyone in mind who is an obvious choice in the long term as someone who would rebuild the footballing side of Rangers. Names I have seen mentioned as managers, such as Butcher, Davies, Weir and so on do not seem to have any clear advantages over McCall. I think he is worth a shout this season and then believe at the end of the season the Directors should re-appraise what he has done and also have a clearer sense of his abilities and vision for a future Rangers.

Do you have anyone in mind who is an obvious choice in the long term as someone who would rebuild the footballing side of Rangers. Names I have seen mentioned as managers, such as Butcher, Davies, Weir and so on do not seem to have any clear advantages over McCall. I think he is worth a shout this season and then believe at the end of the season the Directors should re-appraise what he has done and also have a clearer sense of his abilities and vision for a future Rangers.

I would much preferred they advertised it and saw what came in , alternatively if they are going to offer the Dir of Foot gig to Magath then it has to be someone he can work with , I just hate rushed decisions they rarely work , and if he is only going to be here till the summer , who makes the decisions on incoming players

Thursday, 12 March 2015 17:30

McCall Appointed Manager

Written by Rangers Football Club

337208854e62879cea429ee9d11ed0ef_XL.jpg

RANGERS can today confirm that Stuart McCall has been appointed as manager of the club on a short term contract until the end of the season.

As part of the move, Kenny Black will become his assistant manager after working with McCall at Motherwell from 2011. McCall met the players at Murray Park this afternoon and took his first training session in preparation for Saturday’s game against Livingston at Ibrox.

The former Motherwell boss has been working under Gordon Strachan in the Scottish national team setup and will take the reins from departing caretaker manager Kenny McDowall.

As a player McCall signed for the Gers from Everton for £1,200,000 in August 1991 after spending several years at Bradford City. He quickly became a firm favourite with the fans thanks to his boundless energy and tough tackling in the heart of midfield.

Born in Leeds, the midfield dynamo was an important member of one of the most successful teams in the club’s history.

McCall was undoubtedly one of manager Walter Smith’s most successful buys. His winning mentality inspired other players in the team and he always seemed able to raise his own game in big matches, especially against Celtic.

Despite being chosen for the England U21 squad, McCall decided he would rather play for Scotland as his father was a Scot.

He would eventually play for the national team on 40 occasions and played for Rangers in 264 matches, scoring 20 goals. In his seven-year spell at Ibrox he won 5 League Championship, 3 Scottish Cup and 2 League Cup medals.

A tearful McCall was inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame in a moment he described as his proudest in football.

After helping Walter Smith’s side to 9-in-a-row, the summer of 1998 marked the end of an era and Stuart headed back to his native Yorkshire and his first club Bradford City.

Following a four year spell with Bradford including a short stint as caretaker-player manager in 2000, McCall then moved to Sheffield United where he finished his playing career in 2005.

McCall was on the coaching staff at Bradford and also acted as assistant manager to Neil Warnock at Sheffield United before leaving to rejoin the Bantams as manager.

After a three year period as gaffer at Valley Parade, McCall was appointed Motherwell manager in 2010 where he steered the Steelmen to two consecutive second-place finishes across a four year stay as manager.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8782-mccall-appointed-manager

Let's not focus too much on Stuart McCall.

Look at the new board. They have failed to examine the managerial market, failed to prepare for inevitable managerial change, failed to look at anyone who did not have a Rangers connection and failed to adopt a recruiting approach that would have given us a chance of landing a more able candidate.

This is not a new era. It is the old one revisited. We all like McCall and we all want him to succeed, but in appointing him, the Rangers board has demonstrated that it is not the board some of us were hoping for.

I like the new guy and I hope that he succeeds beyond all our wildest dreams, but the way this has come about has not just disappointed me - it has infuriated me.

I hoped that we were getting a board fit for purpose and aleady I have serious doubts about it. We all want to pull together. We all want some harmony and peace, but when the new board makes such an ass of itself with such a key appointment, it's hard to be optimistic about the future.

I think the new board is lacking. It needs someone in there who will read the riot act every time it moves to make cosy and convenient appointments.

Look at the new board. They have failed to examine the managerial market, failed to prepare for inevitable managerial change, failed to look at anyone who did not have a Rangers connection and failed to adopt a recruiting approach that would have given us a chance of landing a more able candidate.

This is not a new era. It is the old one revisited. We all like McCall and we all want him to succeed, but in appointing him, the Rangers board has demonstrated that it is not the board some of us were hoping for.

I like the new guy and I hope that he succeeds beyond all our wildest dreams, but the way this has come about has not just disappointed me - it has infuriated me.

I hoped that we were getting a board fit for purpose and aleady I have serious doubts about it. We all want to pull together. We all want some harmony and peace, but when the new board makes such an ass of itself with such a key appointment, it's hard to be optimistic about the future.

I think the new board is lacking. It needs someone in there who will read the riot act every time it moves to make cosy and convenient appointments.

I think you're getting completely carried away and overreacting here.

McDowall needed replaced immediately following another shit result and the McCall appointment is a short-term punt to hopefully stop the rot and give us a better chance of promotion. Nothing more.

Is that for real?? They have been in office for six days. They haven't even had time to find the phone numbers of people they want to call yet.

After Tue.'s result I commend them for recognizing that something absolutely had to be done to attempt to save the season. This is not how the team, or the team management (probably), will look going into next season.

They have at least recognized that the support deserves better than abject misery for now.