Steven Naismith refuses to rule out Rangers return in the future

Steven Naismith has left the door open for a future return to Rangers, insisting he'd "never rule anything out".

The Scotland international departed Ibrox in acrimonious circumstances in 2012 after refusing to transfer to a Rangers newco.

Naismith went on to join Everton and has established himself as a key player for both club and country.

Naismith is set to come up against former Ibrox team-mate Kyle Lafferty at Hampden on Wednesday with the Northern Irishman expressing his desire to return to Glasgow before the end of his career.

The 28-year-old signed a three-year contract extension last December to extend his stay at Goodison Park until 2019 and while currently happy on Merseyside, Ayrshire-born attacker Naismith wouldn't close the door on ever playing for the Govan outfit.

He said: "Our time at Rangers were probably some of the best of our career, we were a successful team and we had some great memories. I'm sure with him [Lafferty] being a Rangers fan he would want to relive it.

"I don't know what will happen in the coming year never mind in the future. At the moment I love playing for Everton, since I've been there it's been a great adventure.

"I've gone from being a sub and not really having an impact to playing in most of the big games.

"I love it at the moment but you never know, things can change so quickly in football. I'd never rule anything out to be honest."

Naismith scored 33 goals in 140 games for Rangers, helping the Light Blues win three SPL titles, two League Cups and the Scottish Cup in 2009.

Speaking to the BBC in November, Naismith spoke candidly about his reasons for departing Rangers.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/314963-steven-naismith-refuses-to-rule-out-rangers-return-in-the-future/

Am I being naive when I say that I want to see a certain type of person playing for Rangers? A person who displays character on and off the pitch? Someone who doesn't shamefully play act to try to get another player sent off. Someone who doesn't turn his back on the club that looked after him while he spent many, many months in physio in their hour of need.