Gael Bigirimana: I knew I was sick BEFORE I left Newcastle for Ibrox

I am sure it will not be the last barb aimed at those who have held power at the Glasgow giants.

The new directors said after they took over at the EGM they would look under the hood to try to find out exactly what had gone on in the past few years.

The information unearthed about the five Newcastle United loan signings and the £300,000 cost of the general meeting will not be the final bombshells to be delivered.

There is no doubt in my mind that the more they dig the more they will find out.

I was stunned when I heard the Newcastle players - only one of whom, Haris Vuckic, has played regularly for the side - had been signed without undergoing medicals. The first thing any club does when they bring in a new player, even if it is a loan deal, is to check they are fit.

Rangers are paying part of their wages while they are in Glasgow. So, for the former directors not to insist they underwent the proper procedure, was ridiculous.

And not only are Rangers paying for part of their wages, they are also paying the rent on five flats in Glasgow for each of them to live in. And two of them haven't even been up here!

But the new board's immediate priority is to make sure Rangers are all right just now. That is why they have arranged a £1.5million interest-free loan from the Three Bears that is not secured on any assets.

It is a far better option than accepting another £5m loan from Mike Ashley. This way, the directors don't have to be looking over their shoulder at what Ashley is doing. Nor do they have to accept two of his representatives on the board.

We know the club is strapped for cash. We know not a lot can be done until a decision is made on whether Dave King is passed "fit and proper".

As soon as that happens, there will be a share issue. There is talk about £10m being raised through investment from King and the Three Bears.

I don't think that will be the end of the fund-raising. They will speak to other investors about ploughing money in.

There are difficult times ahead. But at least there are people in control now with considerable professional expertise and the best interests of Rangers at heart.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangerscomment/murray-revelations-wont-be-the-last-bombshell-from-the-new-rangers-201581n.121684204

Barry Ferguson: Rangers loan star Gael Bigirimana's illness riddle puts Derek Llambias and Barry Leach in dock.

BARRY says damaged goods is exactly what Rangers got when they signed the deadline-day deal to bring Bigirimana in on loan with carrying out a medical.

SIGNING players without medicals? I must admit, that’s a new one on me.

Then again, if there was any club in the world over the past few years who would try to pull a stunt like that it would just have to be Rangers.

So when I read the incredible story of Gael Bigirimana in yesterday’s Record Sport I can’t say I was totally shocked, even if what happened is a complete break from all normal protocols involved in player transfers.

We’ve all come to realise if it’s going to happen anywhere, then it’ll probably have happened at Ibrox at one stage or another.

The medical process is part and parcel of every transfer deal involving full-time clubs. When there’s money involved you simply cannot be allowed to take chances in case you end up paying out for damaged goods.

And that’s exactly what Rangers received when they signed the deadline-day deal to bring Bigirimana and the rest of the Newcastle Five in on loan .

Now, before we go any further, let me make it clear Bigirimana is to blame for none of this . I have nothing but sympathy for the boy who must be going through a nightmare right now.

It must be bad enough being diagnosed with a serious illness at the age of 21 never mind trying to deal with it on your own in a strange city without friends or family around.

But when your medical condition then becomes headline news in the country’s biggest paper? It must be horrendous for the guy to know his private life is now out there in the full glare of the public eye.

But the bottom line is this is a story that needs to be told because Rangers fans have been misled and lied to consistently over a long period of time.

It’s important the truth gets out there and I have a feeling this Bigirimana story will probably prove to be the tip of a very big iceberg, where the behaviour of the previous Rangers boards are concerned.

New Rangers board to hold crisis talks over Gael Bigirimana illness and the 'Toon 5' loan riddle

To put such a young player in a situation like this is a scandal but it seems to be in keeping with so much that has gone on behind the scenes at Ibrox.

Paul Murray hinted as much the other day when he talked about previous regimes and said they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I took that as an indication that, over time, he plans to lift the lid on all of it and expose every single bit of wrongdoing, which is exactly what needs to happen in order for the club to be properly fixed. Unfortunately for Bigirimana, he’s been caught up in a storm through no fault of his own and I get the impression he was one of the players who really did want to make the most of his time in Glasgow.

Maybe there are one or two others not so keen to leave Newcastle for Rangers but this lad seems genuinely disappointed not to be able to play his part.

I knew about him from my time in England and he was very highly rated when he moved from Coventry to St James’ Park.

There was a lot of excitement surrounding him so I couldn’t wait to see him in a Rangers shirt. But the longer it went without seeing him or the others playing, the more I started to suspect something was wrong.

Of them all, only Haris Vuckic has been anywhere near the first team. Yes, sometimes you sign a player who has a niggle needing two or three weeks of treatment but it’s been two months since this lot arrived. And four of them are nowhere to be seen.

It was obvious that something was not right here. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to be able to smell a rat.

It does beg a couple of questions. Who knew about the extent of the injuries and of Bigirimana’s condition in particular? Did Derek Llambias and Barry Leach know most of these guys would hardly kick a ball for Rangers? Did Newcastle realise they would be getting £5000 a week for players who weren’t fit for purpose?

That may not sound like a lot of money in the current climate, especially for a club in the English Premiership, but five grand a week could go a very long way at Rangers right now.

There are so many parts of the club, not just the team, needing investment and I’m sure Dave King and Paul Murray could find plenty of ways of spending that money in better places.

Let’s be clear on this, this is money Rangers need and, while I have sympathy for Bigirimana, I understand why Paul Murray is so angry about the way it has been squandered.

Obviously he is now digging through everything that’s been done, examining every contract, and I must admit I am looking forward to more of this sort of stuff being made public.

I have a feeling guys like myself and the Rangers support don’t have the slightest idea about the full extent of the damage that’s been done and a lot of it may come as a real shock.

But that’s good. It’s all part of the rebuilding work that needs to be done and it’s also vital the new regime explain to the fans what they have found and supply them with the truth.

Something tells me the Bigirimana story – incredible as it is – is only the beginning.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-ferguson-rangers-loan-star-5409365

There will be an even greater sting in the tail regarding this episode.

For the club or the previous board?

Edit: I presume that you're referring to the loan fees?

Edited by Bluedell