Chairman's Statement

The club was run well for the first 10 years or so under SDM.

Was just about to say the same. For the first decade Murray was a very good Chairman. From 1988 to 1998 I have no problem with him.

Obviously from 1998 onwards his unchallenged ownership was detrimental to our club's financial future.

I think in the early years after Souness, football in general was at a low - especially with the English banned from Europe, and in contrast Rangers were absolutely buoyant with the renewed success after some barren years and Celtic being totally mismanaged. Money was mostly based on gate receipts and we had them in abundance compared to elsewhere. There was so much money sloshing around our accounts in a such depressed market that it was almost too difficult to overspend.

We were bringing in top internationals for relatively peanuts and so still able to sell them on back in England for a small profit if they didn't work out.

Yearly transfer balances were a few million and our top paid players were on between 5 and 10 grand a week. We basically had money burning holes in our bank account.

In hindsight, I don't think there was much savvy money management to keep us in the black - but I think this easy profligacy led to bad habits and hubris and hence our huge debt once the rest of Europe, England and Celtic rebounded from their depression.

I think in the early years after Souness, football in general was at a low - especially with the English banned from Europe, and in contrast Rangers were absolutely buoyant with the renewed success after some barren years and Celtic being totally mismanaged. Money was mostly based on gate receipts and we had them in abundance compared to elsewhere. There was so much money sloshing around our accounts in a such depressed market that it was almost too difficult to overspend.

We were bringing in top internationals for relatively peanuts and so still able to sell them on back in England for a small profit if they didn't work out.

Yearly transfer balances were a few million and our top paid players were on between 5 and 10 grand a week. We basically had money burning holes in our bank account.

In hindsight, I don't think there was much savvy money management to keep us in the black - but I think this easy profligacy led to bad habits and hubris and hence our huge debt once the rest of Europe, England and Celtic rebounded from their depression.

That's fair comment Calscot, however we forgot a few basic principles. One of which was, we never prepared for seven years of financial famine.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

To overcome our minimal potential income, we really need to do something radically different from everyone else and completely reorganise our club for maximum success without huge in-pouring of money.

Is it time to send the new Chairman a copy of Setting the Standard?

To overcome our minimal potential income, we really need to do something radically different from everyone else and completely reorganise our club for maximum success without huge in-pouring of money.

Is it time to send the new Chairman a copy of Setting the Standard?

The new chairman should still have his copy from when it was sent to the Rangers board of that period.... :whistle:

Seriously though, perhaps we should be looking to put together a new version ourselves. Maybe a project for the summer months.

When Smith left Advocaat had to buy a whole new squad. We were not run well at all. Youth development, scouting etc were areas we just completely ignored. Spend, spend, spend.

And they had the funds to buy the new squad.

The focus was on NIAR and it overtook youth development etc. We came out of NIAR with no net debt and £28m cash in the bank. I'm not saying that everything was perfect or there weren't things that things that couldn't be improved but it was a long, long way from being the abysmally run club that you claim.

The new chairman should still have his copy from when it was sent to the Rangers board of that period.... :whistle:

Seriously though, perhaps we should be looking to put together a new version ourselves. Maybe a project for the summer months.

That sounds like a good idea.