Absolutely essential we get the right manager in for next season

Regardless of how McCall does from now until the playoffs, he has not shown enough in his career to be managing Rangers. I said this before the game and my opinion won't change. We are seeing a large improvement over Kenny and Ally, but really that is not difficult. I'd imagine likewise would have happened with any SPL level manager because Kenny and Ally just don't have it in them to manage at any level.

If our new board really want to overhaul the club, get us playing decent football, eventually have us back at the top of Scottish football and competing in Europe then McCall is just not the man to do this. He does not have the pedigree - he has been in management for almost 10 years, just managing very poor teams, and we need to aim considerably above that. Once McLeish didn't have Advocaat's team of international stars on £30k + per week, we were by the most part abysmal. I really hoped we would be very careful about ever appointing someone again who had only proven themselves to some degree in the SPL. For players and managers can often look decent at non-old firm SPL teams, only to make the step up to the old firm or England and look absolutely shocking.

Worth bearing in mind McCall's track record, sacked from the bottom division in England then left Motherwell second bottom, after five straight defeats. I am grateful to him for coming in, initially galvanising the team and making promotion seem achievable again, but for next season and beyond we need far better. We really must go back to the standards we once had, with standing up to teams in the Europa League being realistic in the near future.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I've got to agree. I like McCall and I think Kenny Black seems to be popular but I'd like someone with real gravitas.

No idea who'd want to come to this circus though.

I read that Magath has been doing some sort of scouting or upstairs role, what with the recent continental players we have been looking at. This is the direction we need to go in - a young continental manager with bright ideas would be great to work with that.

I read that Magath has been doing some sort of scouting or upstairs role, what with the recent continental players we have been looking at. This is the direction we need to go in - a young continental manager with bright ideas would be great to work with that.
it was the players agent who contacted the club and asked if they could do a trial while visiting scotland. one of many trials they are doing

We are seeing a large improvement over Kenny and Ally, but really that is not difficult.

That's weird, weren't you recently arguing pretty strongly against the premise that an improvement would be possible with a better manager than McCoist? Maybe the wind changed again...

We will most likely have to wait up until we know the league we are going to play in next season. Based on that, you would hope that a decision will be made rather swiftly, as any new manager will have to sort out the playing squad and the contracts. I for one do assume that should we stay in the Championship, McCall will retain his place.

Edited by der Berliner

One defeat and the McCall isn't the man comments are brought up again, however I am in agreement with the OP that we should be aiming a far better pedigree of manager. A lot will depend on promotion or not.

The front runners and riders will be named in due course when and if it becomes available. I do think McCall will get the gig if he gets us promotion but I agree with Selmy that long term he is nowhere near. I think McCall would be a very good option for an assistant manager as he likes to work on the training field.

When the new board got appointed they need to make a quick appointment because McDowall remaining in place was simply not an option.

McCall was the easiest option in the timescale they had. Whether he's the longterm answer remains to be seen