Great Adrian Durham article

What are the bets on some Yahoo-minded journo whipping up an article saying that it is time for the Hooped Horrors to leave these shores ... obviously for sporting and sporting integrity reasons? You see, this country is too small and far to biased for a team with that great a potential in the game of association football.

FWIW I wish they would leave these shores. England won't want them though. Their baggage will see to that. They could always try the League of Ireland I suppose

That's exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. The old firm need to get as much of the money as possible, or else we are left with no good teams, as is the case now. Is there any league in the world with decent teams where the money is all spread fairly? No, the best teams always get the biggest share by a mile.

The old firm attract 90% of the interest in Scottish football so it is absolute madness for the diddy teams to get a significant share of that when they bring absolutely nothing to the table. Clubs should get what they deserve and tiny clubs with a few hundred supporters deserve nothing. We are only the size we are because we earned it.

Yeah that works well in Spain.

The trouble with football is that the sport is disappearing up its financial arse. Maybe it's Bosman that's burst the dam that kept it a real sport rather than who's got most money. UEFA actually used to have many rules to inlcuding the 3 foreigner restriction, to try to prevent single clubs buying up all the best players. Although it sounds like a great thing, it kills the game in a competitive sense and devalues the World Cup.

Since the EC ruling, they seem to have given in to the larger clubs and have now created a continent of inequality that has taken hope away from many, many clubs and put quite a few out of business. There is so much they could have done to stem the tide but the threat of a breakaway has rendered them impotent.

Because football is a professional team sport, it is susceptible to being dominated by not who has the best sporting ideals, but just who has the most money, which sucks all of the real game out of it. I now see the EPL as a Mickey Mouse league - as a parallel to what they call ours, as it's a league like Disney Land where everything looks wonderful and fairytale like but it's just an expensive façade and completely fake. It has absolutely no interest to me, and the situation is made worse with teams like Chelsea and Man City spending the ill gotten gains of foreign billionaires to achieve success over clubs working on normal earnings. There is no heart or history there, as they could be any club the owners chose on a whim - Fulham just drew in the wrong rich guy and Blackburn's sugar daddy got bored - and out muscled financially.

There is a certain spreading of wealth in the EPL but it's obviously not working to even things up and it's also creating a situation where even the top sides in smaller European countries with large supports, just can't compete even with the English also rans.

In Scotland we can't really talk as we've had the OF dominance pretty much as long as anyone can remember, but we're suffering now and European glory is but a pipe dream for us all. We probably hurt more as we're used to success in a way 99% of other clubs aren't. With all the whining about the state of the Rangers team on the park, you have to wonder how the fans of the 40 other Scottish teams have got by for the last 100 years.

So now we have to decide whether to improve our own game in some way to make our domestic competitions interesting and compelling, or do the rugby thing and put all our eggs in two baskets in the hope of competing in a European arena. The problem is that we don't have enough eggs to make a difference. We should have demanded a British league as part of the No vote as apart from the missed opportunity of perhaps starting in the bottom leagues of England instead of Division 3, there doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel.

But in the end people have to decide what they want football to be all about - why should one team win and not another - should it be because the club are better at getting a lot more income, or due to some sporting philosophy or drive for excellence in skill and fitness?

At the moment is all about the money and Scotland doesn't have much, and we've handicapped ourselves further by victimising our top club and alienating a large percentage of the Scottish fan base who may never return.

Edited by calscot

The trouble with football is that the sport is disappearing up its financial arse. Maybe it's Bosman that's burst the dam that kept it a real sport rather than who's got most money. UEFA actually used to have many rules to inlcuding the 3 foreigner restriction, to try to prevent single clubs buying up all the best players. Although it sounds like a great thing, it kills the game in a competitive sense and devalues the World Cup.

Since the EC ruling, they seem to have given in to the larger clubs and have now created a continent of inequality that has taken hope away from many, many clubs and put quite a few out of business. There is so much they could have done to stem the tide but the threat of a breakaway has rendered them impotent.

Because football is a professional team sport, it is susceptible to being dominated by not who has the best sporting ideals, but just who has the most money, which sucks all of the real game out of it. I now see the EPL as a Mickey Mouse league - as a parallel to what they call ours, as it's a league like Disney Land where everything looks wonderful and fairytale like but it's just an expensive façade and completely fake. It has absolutely no interest to me, and the situation is made worse with teams like Chelsea and Man City spending the ill gotten gains of foreign billionaires to achieve success over clubs working on normal earnings. There is no heart or history there, as they could be any club the owners chose on a whim - Fulham just drew in the wrong rich guy and Blackburn's sugar daddy got bored - and out muscled financially.

<snip>

Indeed so, Abramovich went to buy Spurs, they didn't fancy him so as he flew away he passed over Stamford Bridge and asked "who plays there?".

Edited by SteveC

Indeed so, Abramovich went to buy Spurs, they didn't fancy him so as he flew away he passed over Stamford Bridge and asked "who plays there?".

I'm not sure that is the actual story..... The story I heard that he flew over Stamford Bridge on his way to White Hart Lane and decided that this was who he would buy - not that they didn't want him at Spurs.

I'm not sure that is the actual story..... The story I heard that he flew over Stamford Bridge on his way to White Hart Lane and decided that this was who he would buy - not that they didn't want him at Spurs.

Not sure I believe that. Chelsea were up for sale at that point and Spurs weren't so why would Abramovich look at Spurs first?