Summer 2015 - Transfers and Rumours Thread

I feel your stance is that we should use our own youth players rather than someone else's. That's fine, but what if our own youth players are not quite ready to produce the quality required?

A case in point is McKay. He went out to Morton last year and he seems much better prepared for the first team this year.

Walsh is part of the first team pool and will get his chance. Murdoch is not considered ready for prime-time and will be loaned out.

Our recent history of single season loanees has proved successful in the past. I'm thinking of Weiss, Bartley and Diouff.

Until we are better prepared to buy quality, I don't see a problem with short term loan deals. The goal this season has to be - absolutely, no excuses - to gain promotion, by whatever means we can use.

I really think we have youths plenty good enough.

You said that about Oduwa as well.

If I have a choice between watching Oduwa or Walsh this season, I'd pick Oduwa every day of the week. I can't wait to watch this boy play.

I'm not that bothered at this point whether he's here on loan or not. I just want to watch the best football possible this season and that means Oduwa in the team.

Fair enough. I take a longer term view and really love watching our youths develop.

Clearly loans are important to mark and he deserves to get what he wants.

next season I can see it as being the best way to get where we need to be in a sustainable fashion. This season it seems pointless at best and counterproductive at worst to me.

If it's still happening in 3 or 4 years I will be very worried.

The quality of player certainly seems right so that's something.

Loan players are VERY common everywhere.

If a youth player is good enough, he will get his chance - MW has already stated this.

Obviously MW believes that those he has brought in on loan are better than what we already have - at the moment.

Rangers complete signing of Arsenal youngster Gedion Zelalem

22 August 2015 by Andrew Clark

Gedion-Zelalem.jpg

Rangers have completed the signing of talented Arsenal youngster Gedion Zelalem on loan.

Rangers faced competition from a number of English Championship sides for the 18-year-old’s signature but the Ibrox side have now completed the deal.

The American Under-20 international will move to Ibrox until the end of the season but will not be registered in time to face Hibs tomorrow.

Discussing Zelalem, Rangers boss Mark Warburton said: “He’s an extremely talented ball player who sees a pass, is very creative and one of the young gems at Arsenal.

“He’s a No.8 or a 10, slight in frame but very clever.”

Zalalem was born in Berlin and played for Germany at Under-15, 16 and 17 levels before switching to the USA Under-20 side.

He has only made two appearances for the Arsenal first team but is held in high regard in London and is expected to make a big impact at the Emirates in years to come.

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has also had his say on Zelalem: “He sees passes that not a lot of players can, and he’s so comfortable on the ball.

“Even in training, he’s a nightmare to play against. He keeps the ball away from you and shields it.

“He’s not very big but he’s strong. He drifts in and out of players. Technically, he’s right up there. He can use his left and right and he sees so many passes.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/spfl/675253/rangers-complete-signing-arsenal-youngster-gedion-zelalem/

Was to be expected, but our central defence looks a bit thin now. 5 days to go, while freebies can still be signed up thereafter.

Disagree.

We had too many central defenders and paying McGregor and Zaliukas a lot of money to be 4th and 5th choice centre halves isn't good business.

Much better to rely on and develop our own younger players given the opportunity.

Agreed - what an opportunity for Lang, etc. They basically know they are all competing for a first team starting position as soon as we start picking up injuries and suspensions.

In other words, they are incentivised to up their performance levels. I'm guessing they are absolutely flying in training with the news that McGregor and Zaliukus are leaving/left.

Edited by stewarty