New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

Warburton is still a bit of an unknown quantity for me but I can't be the only one non-plussed by his constant media comments.

Not sure how much of what is being printed actually comes from his own mouth. I'm rather relaxed about the whole issue. People will both be disappointed or excited about the new manager, whoever it is though, I'll give him at least half a year to prove that he is up for the job. (And to anyone disagreeing: what else could you effectively do ... apart from ranting along hereabouts. :cool2:)

Dave King holds talks with Stuart McCall for Rangers manager job

Dave King has held talks with Stuart McCall over the position of Rangers first team manager next season.

STV understands the Ibrox chairman spoke to the coach this week in the club's search to find a long-term appointment.

At the meeting the two spoke about transfer targets for the coming summer transfer window as well as a number of off the field targets for the club.

McCall is part of a five-man shortlist for the position, which is believed to include Mark Warburton, Derek McInnes, Ian Cathro and Billy Davies.

At a press conference on Monday the South African businessman confirmed that McCall was still part of the shortlist, before dismissing any previous held talks with former Brentford manager Warburton.

He said: ”Stuart is still involved as a possible candidate. I haven’t spoken to [Warburton] but I think there are a number of candidates that the committee have spoken to and we’re certainly hoping to make progress possibly within a week.

"I think at the moment there are probably five realistic candidates that might fit the bill. Obviously with a club like Rangers there are a lot of names that might come forward, but it’s important that we balance the obvious need to make an appointment with getting it right.”

He added: "We're looking for an appointment to see us through the next three years. I think it's important that the person has the right level of authority to meet our objectives as a club over the next three seasons.

"The immediate mandate to the manager is to bring in a number of players who are good enough to play in the Premiership over the next few months.”

McCall has been in charge of the Rangers first team since March, leading the team to third place in the Championship table before failing to win promotion to the Scottish top tier.

STV

Holds talks, held talks, well well. It is already Wednesday afternoon and the "end of the week" is edging ever closer.

STV

Holds talks, held talks, well well. It is already Wednesday afternoon and the "end of the week" is edging ever closer.

Out of decency they had to interview McCall whether he was a candidate or not. I wouldn't read too much into that I doubt it will change their time scale very much.

Mark Warburton has told talkSPORT he is no closer to making a return to management despite being heavily backed to take charge of Glasgow Rangers.

The 52-year-old, who forged an impressive reputation at Brentford before leaving the Bees by mutual consent at the end of last season, is believed to be the Ibrox club’s first choice to become their next boss and bookmakers have suspended betting on him taking the job.

Warburton is not denying he has held talks with the Scottish Championship side, but the Englishman insists he, and his trusted assistant David Weir, have yet to receive any formal offers.

Speaking on the Sports Bar on Tuesday night, he said: "I’ve heard lots of rumours but me David have had a couple of informal chats with a couple of clubs and if all goes well they go forward from there, but nothing more than that right now."

Warburton admits he is keen to take on a new role as soon as possible in order to plan for next season, but insists he will only join a club which shares his philosophy.

“A lot of people say to take three or four months out, but that is not my style. I like working, I like being busy, I like knowing what I am doing and I will hopefully get offered the right opportunity," he continued

"Pre-season is vitally important. It is a chance when coaches and managers can bond with the players, get their ideas across, and you actually get time to work with them.

"This is the ideal time now and sooner, rather than later it is important for clubs to get their choice in place.

"You have to look at the club and hope the parties have the same chemistry. Do you get on, do your philosophies align, do you have the same ideas about the game and the same targets and expectations? If that fits into place, then I think you are in a good place."

Read more at http://talksport.com...Y7osytA7UWi0.99

After listening to the man, he has changed my opinion. Initially I thought it was a bit of a 'shallow' selection based on one real good season (along with the Davie Weir factor). His enthusiasm has rubbed off on me and I would be delighted if he was the choice TBH.

There are better managers in this world than Warburton. Not the end of the world if he goes to Fulham.

Aye, but none of them are being linked with the Rangers job. I would take Mourinho too, but he isnt coming.