Squad finalised

BARRIE MCKAY admits the increased competition for places at Ibrox has helped bring out the best in him this season.

The winger has been one of the standout performers for Rangers so far this term as Mark Warburton’s side have won eight games out of eight in the opening weeks of the campaign.

McKay netted his second goal of the season in the 5-1 win over Queen of the South on Sunday as the Gers moved top of the Championship standings.

And the 20-year-old is enjoying life under the new regime as he has become an integral part of Warburton’s plans in recent weeks.

Share article

He said: “It has been good. I have come in and I have been playing, I have every game near enough. He has given me a chance and I am taking it.

“Competition is good, it makes you push yourself further to become a better player. If you are not at it, you might not play the next week. So you need to make sure you are at it every week.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13640085.McKay_determined_to_rise_to_the_challenge_at_Rangers/

This is a huge opportunity for Barrie McKay. He clearly had the ability a couple of years ago but was maybe lacking in application. I think he has all the attributes to be a top player. He has an excellent turn of pace and I love the way he plays with his head up. I'm delighted he's been given the opportunity to prove himself and it just shows what proper coaching and man management can achieve.

The main squad does look VERY lean....but there are also the youth players that will be available if required.

I'm sure MW has looked at the youngsters & presumably thought that they will be good enough to provide cover if required.

Prime objective is getting out of the Championship. Perhaps progress in the cups, preferrably all.

Given what we have seen so far, do we expect that this current squad is good enough to "see us through" till January? At this moment and time, the answer would be positive.

The first "real" test against better opposition in a competitive context will be against St. Johnstone.

I'll whip up a tactical 4-3-3 line-up with people in their prime and secondary position over the day. That will give us a different perspective about how many people we need and how well we are "covered".

I personally prefer a bigger squad, especially when you include U21s, but I've been impressed with how well we've played while also rotating the team a bit. The part of the team I'm most wary about is the defence, as while Tarernier and Wallace have been excellent, they could be big misses if injured - as has just happened to Wallace. There isn't much backup there, or for the central defence which has been the least impressive part of the team.

I think I'm happy enough with the midfield and attack. Goalkeepers are not awe inspiring but probably adequate.

So ultimately I think we could do with 2 or 3 more quality defenders. I'd also prefer we had more confidence that Eustice will be fit for a decent amount of the season.

However, our management team have shown they know what they are doing and I trust in them. And at least it should keep the wage bill down for one more season in a division where our income is very limited. That could mean less money for paying off debts to go towards quality players, when we go up and also have a share issue. We'll definitely need a bigger squad than this in the SP, especially with teams thinking they can compete with us and then getting frustrated and over physical, if they find out they can't.

I'm not too worried and rather we didn't sign players for the sake of it. I also like MW's emphasis on a making sure there's a viable route to the first team for those not playing. Defence looks a wee bit light though. Simultaneous injuries to Wallace and Halliday would make left back a problem and we've only got one back-up centre back. Can we just promote from the kids or are we limited to the named squad until January, champions league-style? And who's playing left back for young uns at the moment? Look a prospect?

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg