Eustace Close To Becoming A Player

To be fair, the only criticism of the team to date has been regarding the performance of the centre backs (other than the keeper in the first couple of games). Many observers' have put this down to the attacking style of play and the fact that we do not really have a defensive midfielder protecting the defenders. Andy Halliday has been great, but this has largely been when he is going forward. I don't think that the defensive role is one that really suits him. Let's see what Eustace can bring to the team. It would mean that Holt would possibly fall out of the first 11, with Halliday moving to the left to accommodate Eustace.

We have been fortunate with injuries so far, so additional competition/cover in midfield can only be a good thing, surely?

On a side note, it would be interesting to see how Andy Murdoch develops under Eustace's influence when he returns from leave. Murdoch is probably the only squad member who naturally gravitates towards that position. Whether he is ultimately good enough for Rangers in the Premier league, is a question for the future.

Although we would like all of our players to be pacey, I think that the holding midfielder role is one of the few positions where positional sense and experience is equally as important. Matic of Chelsea is probably viewed as one of the best players in that position and you would not consider him to be particularly quick. Same for Busquets at Barca. Obviously I am not comparing Eustace to either of those players, but I think it does demonstrate that speed is not the only prerequisite to carry out the role effectively.

if our centre backs are getting minimum protection because of our attacking play, we'll need someone a lot faster than Eustace surely

Just a few remarks: do you know how fast Eustace is? We had older CHs than him and they did rather okay. It is not all about pace, but also positional sense and reading of the game. But perhaps we just wait and see how he actually plays before we debate whether he's good enough? I doubt that he will be here for a long stay as a player, so debates about any European games are a bit premature too. That aside, if he was good enough in the English Championship, don't people think that he will be good enough in the Scottish version of that league and even the Premiership?

no I don't know how fast he is. All I know is he's 36 and been out crocked for a year, and the older CH's we've had didn't play in a system where they were exposed because the right and left backs are charging up field

Edited by colinstein

Man U won the EP title in 96 with "kids", including a 36 year old Steve Bruce. Six other players were over 30 by the end of the season. Five of those seven played 30 games or more.

Seems to me that an older head or two is good for a team with a bunch of youngsters in it. Eustace should be judged on what he brings to the team, not just his age.

I think people also forget that we're in the lowly Scottish Championship...

... and it is not that we are actually overrun by quality people every week. That aside, the goal Shane Long scored to end Scotland's hopes (apart from Scotland's lack of form in the recent games) was as straight forward as it gets, leaving two of the best German CHs trailing. And depending on your angle, either that was a well-executed break away goal, or woeful defending by the Germans.

As for Eustace, I would also expect that he organizes the midfield a bit better, actually being a veteran defensive midfielder. That would help quite a bit too and may quell our gung-ho style at times.

Edited by der Berliner

He hasn't played for almost a year since picking up "a serious knee cartilage injury against Ipswich Town in a 1–0 victory on 10 January 2015"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eustace

It's taken him 3 months to get fit, his knee must be a doubt and he's 36 on 3 November. Zelalem is going to keep Shiels and Law out of the team, so whose place is he going to take: Halliday or Holt?

We are going to win this League in a canter and at 36/37 is he really what we should be looking for in terms of a return to the SPL?

This whole thing smells to me. His agents are Key Sports Management, the same company that represents Kiernan, Tavernier, Waghorn and Warburton himself. You don't need to be a genius to add up whats going on.

Aye because Waghorn, Tavernier and Kiernan haven't worked out so far....l

Time for your tin foil hat BH