Eustace Close To Becoming A Player

To be fair, the only criticism of the team to date has been regarding the performance of the centre backs (other than the keeper in the first couple of games). Many observers' have put this down to the attacking style of play and the fact that we do not really have a defensive midfielder protecting the defenders. Andy Halliday has been great, but this has largely been when he is going forward. I don't think that the defensive role is one that really suits him. Let's see what Eustace can bring to the team. It would mean that Holt would possibly fall out of the first 11, with Halliday moving to the left to accommodate Eustace.

We have been fortunate with injuries so far, so additional competition/cover in midfield can only be a good thing, surely?

On a side note, it would be interesting to see how Andy Murdoch develops under Eustace's influence when he returns from leave. Murdoch is probably the only squad member who naturally gravitates towards that position. Whether he is ultimately good enough for Rangers in the Premier league, is a question for the future.

Murdoch isn't even training with the senior team. He's currently training with the 20's

The holding midfield role requires excellent game awareness and positional sense more than it requires pace. It's all about holding the opposition up whilst team mates recover back into position.

Aye because Waghorn, Tavernier and Kiernan haven't worked out so far....l

Time for your tin foil hat BH

That's fine, Craig; but I didn't suggest those players were not working out, I suggested that Eustace might be piggy-backing on their deal. That said, personally I am not convinced by Kiernan but I'm more than happy with the other two. :D

I would suggest that quality is relevant here, we're not planning to bring back McCulloch now just because he's 37 and still registered as a player.

I would suggest it isn't relevant. You asserted that we don't need a 36 yr old who probably won't play in the top division. The other poster simply said pros that look after themselves can play into their early 40's these days, so Eustace MIGHT still have 4 or 5 years of a career.

I'm not convinced he does but that's a different debate

Rangers kids benefiting from Eustace - Rob Kiernan

RANGERS defender Rob Kiernan believes that the experience of imminent signing John Eustace will prove a valuable asset to the squad.

Ibrox manager Mark Warburton revealed on Thursday that Eustace was close to a deal after training with the club for several months in a bid to prove his fitness. The 35-year-old former Watford and Derby captain will join a young squad and Kiernan believes everyone else can benefit from his know-how.

Kiernan said: “John’s a great guy to have round the place. He has great experience at a high level. I think he’ll be good for the young players with his knowledge of the game.”

Rangers have been doing very well in the Ladbrokes Championship without Eustace, having won their first nine games.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/rangers-kids-benefiting-from-eustace-rob-kiernan-1-3919621?#axzz3om8pHxih

Sometimes it doesn't mean a signing is just for his ability on the park but more to do with what he does off it as Rob Kiernan points out in the above article.

In saying that...he'll be good on the park too at the ripe old age of 36 I'm thinking.

He's clearly not going to be played selectively but, in addition to playing a position we could do with, he provides experience and leadership in a young squad. And he's free and the manager has worked with him before. I'm struggling to see the downside of this one.

He's clearly not going to be played selectively but, in addition to playing a position we could do with, he provides experience and leadership in a young squad. And he's free and the manager has worked with him before. I'm struggling to see the downside of this one.

A wage for the boys?