Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

I really don't get all the fuss about not getting Diagouraga. We already have a player who can play his position(Dominic Ball) & have signed another on a pre-contract(Crooks)

My main concern is up front. We need to add a proven striker, even if it's on loan til the end of the season.

Whether these guys are good enough for the Premiership or not is a different question. Ultimately, we'll not know until they are tested. We can make an educated guess, based on the fact that the English Championship/League One is presumably of a higher standard than all but one of our Premiership sides. I still believe that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. While we may be assembling a team of players that on the surface may not be of the same standard -- and certainly not the same 'value' -- as those acquired by Celtic, it doesn't necessarily mean that we won't be able to challenge them. Moreover, just because a player is playing at a certain level, doesn't mean he is of that level. We look to be acquiring players with a certain ability or skill-set to contribute to our philosophy, while also possessing potential to improve. Bournemouth and Brentford etc. have done very well at acquiring players from lower leagues, and utilising their skill-sets to improve their teams as a whole.

This :thup:

Do you really think figures of £100k to £200k deem a target no longer of sufficient value over the length of their contract? Why would we sign a player if we thought he couldn't bring more value than £200k above our initial valuation? That and MW would need to have no sense of reality if he thought we could get diagouraga and O'halleron for less than £200k a piece. He is too intelligent to not be able to add the circumstances up. Personally i wouldn't pay the money for either but to think MW would expect to sign those players for 200k or less a piece seems unlikely to me.

If we were talking in the millions here or Half million then fair enough but a couple of hundred grand cannot deem a player we previously thought good enough to build our future on no longer of value. Promotion alone will raise those players valuations by that small of an amount

I thought that the fee for Diagourage was 500k ??

You seem to be failing to realise our fiscal reality.

but its clearly not over the odds since Leeds just paid more.

I wasn't talking specifically about Diagouraga. Besides, we will have a value on what a player is worth, that doesn't need to correlate with another teams value. Each club has a budget too.

Leeds perhaps felt he was worth the same as us.... but given they got 3.5 million for Byram were comfortable spending the extra 100-200k. Just because they paid more doesn't mean they didn't pay over the odds.

So why did it take 23 days to figure out we couldn't afford the guy? Would you not use a scatter gun approach if that was the case? why would you put all your eggs in one precarious basket?

makes no sense if you realistically cant afford your number one target for a certain position to then only make an approach for that out of reach player and no other at the same time in a small window of opportunity.

How do you know that all the eggs are in one basket ? MW has spoken to you about all of his transfer targets ?

so do you think falkirk could hold down a top six position?

Not necessarily, but neither are there teams that are exceedingly better - Scum and perhaps Aberdeen aside.

On a sidenote, I happened accross the Aberedeen game report from yesterday and noted a few names that I haven't heard of before. E.g. Ash Taylor, who apparently had a decent enough game. The Dons signed him from Tranmere Rovers on a free. They have a Shaleum Logan from Brentford, one Kenny McLean from St. Mirren and one Jonny Hayes from ICT. And they are littered with SPL veterans and Yahoo-"rejects" (as the cry is every now and then). And this goes through the whole league. If a manager can gel this into a working unit, you might get a team that can go places - in Scotland. That is a league that is not exactly littered with "quality" (very vague term this). When I see our team play, I would hazard the claim that we can go quite a few places with what we have right now. And I have every faith that our current management team will look to better it this or next window even further.

ian ... you shall not tempt fate!

Edited by der Berliner

Lest we forget ...

Ladies Sign Up Seven

Saturday, 23 January 2016, 15:00 by Mark Hendry

THE SWPL pre-season is beginning to take shape for Rangers Ladies with the arrival of several new faces, and some familiar ones.

Manager Kevin Murphy wasted little time in strengthening his squad after a disappointing sixth-place finish last season.

In total, seven players have put pen to paper with the possibility of Gers adding to that number in the coming weeks.

Right-sided player Rhianna Tweedie signs from Dunfermline Athletic and former Celtic goal keeper Laura Hamilton has also joined up. Hamilton has been capped at Scotland under-19’s level.

More recognisable to Rangers fans will be the re-introduction of Jill Paterson, Kirsty McLaughlin and Steph Briggs who have all had brief stints with the Blue Belles in recent times.

Ashley Nicolson joins from Spartans and teammate Danica Dalziel also signed on the dotted line as Gers look to improve on last year’s position in the league table.

Jill Paterson is delighted to be back at the club she left three years ago and is determined to grab the opportunity with both hands to make it successful.

The defender admits her time at Stirling Uni was enjoyable last season but she is excited at the prospect of donning the Blue jersey at Rangers again this year.

She said: “It feels really good to be back here. I was here initially three or four years ago so it’s great to be back. I had a good year in Stirling last year but it’s good to have this opportunity again”.

Paterson also believes that having familiar faces around the team has been beneficial to her bedding in again and feeling part of the set-up straight away.

She continued: “There’s a few girls that I already know, for instance Lisa (Swanson) is still here so it’s really nice to have some familiar faces around”.

Former Pars player Rhianna Tweedie is also anxious to get started and admits she has found the step up in class to be challenging. However, she echoed Paterson’s sentiments, explaining that everyone around the club is desperate to get off to a good start and improve on last term.

She said: “It’s been a big step up from the first division for me but all the girls have been great, everyone has been welcoming and I’ve really enjoyed myself so far.

“Everyone seems to be pushing each other on for the new challenge and hopefully we can finish a bit higher up than last season”.

Elsewhere, Gers central defender Amy Lindsay has joined Hamilton on loan for 2016.

220116_ladies_01.jpg

http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/ladies-sign-seven/

How do you know that all the eggs are in one basket ? MW has spoken to you about all of his transfer targets ?

Yes he has spoken to me about it.its what you call press releases, he does a couple a week you should check them out. He said clearly he wanted players in early and that he would move on quickly if a players value is above our own . That has clearly not happened or have you not noticed the date?