Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

You see, turned on its head, one could claim that this is one of the first times an excuse has been found to have a go at Warburton, the club, King and the lack of money that might be apparent or the like. If the world was black & white. But it isn't and people should be old enough to refrain from such rather basic modes of debate.

I for one am very careful with the word "excuse", not least in surroundings where half a dozen variables are at work before a transfer does materialize. And after years in the ranks of football fans, you would hope that people know that. And while I am at it, has Warburton at any given time said that he has preferred areas of strengthening?

The protracted stuff regarding Eustace might be used as a pointer regarding a defensive midfielder early on, but right now we have at least three players who can play there - and one does so admirably. A second pointer might be our pursuit of Diagouraga. That we did not went over the top for him suggests that a) we don't want to spend over the odds, or b) that we didn't have the cash, or c) he is not as required as assumed. To name but a few points. Have we heard any whisper whatsoever with regard to Warburton chasing a striker? Bar some paper conjecture?

again you say spend over the odds with absolutely nothing to back that up. Where has any of our targets went for over the odds? Name one target that has sold for a value that seems inflated.

Edited by trublusince1982

Anybody is allowed to watch whatever game they want!,maybe just having a look at Michael O'Halloran?,what's wrong with that?

Nothingwrong whatsoever mate.

FWIW I think O'Halloran would be a decent addition to our squad. He's got something we've not got -PACE.

I agree diagouraga is not of the standard i would hope for. My upset comes from the way we are missing players our manager wants and every deal we do seems to include delays and stupid low ball bids that in no way help our position. They do nothing but piss off the team we are buying from and giving an opening to any other interested party to nip in and steal the player.

For me this window is every bit as important as the next one. We need at least 8 players between the two windows. I don't think there is a hope in hell of us doing that kind of business next summer.Missing out on this window with have a knock on effect. That's also not to mention the fact this league is far from done yet. Without a couple of bodies in we are very short in my opinion and are going to need some luck with injuries to see us through. In my opinion if our current strategy of negotiating a price then raising the money continues we will see our targets go to other teams more often than not.

As for defiance I have seen nothing or heard no excuse that merits any level of defiance. None of the excuses have held any water when held up to the light. I certainly dont believe for a second MW expects to get Ohalleron or diagouraga for £200k a piece.

I can understand that. But we simply don't know who us missing out on these players. Could be that MW himself is saying he doesn't want to go above certain values. His experience in the financial markets us good enough to know what value propositions are.

For example with Diagouraga.... There would be no sell on value so perhaps his valuation was what we went in with. In some cases you will go higher owing to the resale value (Crooks and Windass spring to mind) but with others you might not.

Value isn't just about getting the player you want but how much value they bring. Halliday is doing just fine in that position so do we really need him ? Brentwood were holding out for more. Warburton (not necessarily the Board) could have been saying "he wants to play for me so let's wait it out". My point ?? We just don't know what that situation is.

I can also understand your position regarding the importance of this window. But I respectfully disagree, only because the desired standard will be easier to attract when we know for sure we are in the top tier.

Which deals have resulted in delays ? This is the only one is it not ? We got Forrester tied up quickly, we got Windass and Crooks tied up quickly.... So which ones have we seen delays on ? Looks to me like just the one deal.

Why can't we do 8 deals in the summer ? We did more than that this past summer whilst playing in the second tier. And if it is 8 players you have pre-season to get them to gel.

You have no idea if it is a case of "negotiating a price then raising the money". That is nothing more than an assumption. The notion that the manager doesn't know what his budget is, to me at least, absurd.

I don't think we NEED more bodies to win the league but certainly wouldn't mind seeing a striker coming in, even if on loan. But I still think we have more than enough to win the league. Risky ? Sure. Am I concerned ? Nope.

Again, can you point to the "200k a piece for Diagourage and O Halloran" - I thought we had offered more for both of those players.

I for one am happy that we are refusing to enter auctions for players. To me it's called fiscal responsibility.

Edited by craig

If it is true that St Johnstone want their money up front then it is quite understandable given our recent history and precarious situation we still seem to be in. We are depending on loans to get through our day to day business. Yes we did pay off all our football debts but I can understand that ST Johnstone do not want to take any risks, We will have to build up trust over a few years before it is accepted we are financially stable.

I can understand that. But we simply don't know who us missing out on these players. Could be that MW himself is saying he doesn't want to go above certain values. His experience in the financial markets us good enough to know what value propositions are.

For example with Diagouraga.... There would be no sell on value so perhaps his valuation was what we went in with. In some cases you will go higher owing to the resale value (Crooks and Windass spring to mind) but with others you might not.

Value isn't just about getting the player you want but how much value they bring. Halliday is doing just fine in that position so do we really need him ? Brentwood were holding out for more. Warburton (not necessarily the Board) could have been saying "he wants to play for me so let's wait it out". My point ?? We just don't know what that situation is.

I can also understand your position regarding the importance of this window. But I respectfully disagree, only because the desired standard will be easier to attract when we know for sure we are in the top tier.

Which deals have resulted in delays ? This is the only one is it not ? We got Forrester tied up quickly, we got Windass and Crooks tied up quickly.... So which ones have we seen delays on ? Looks to me like just the one deal.

Why can't we do 8 deals in the summer ? We did more than that this past summer whilst playing in the second tier. And if it is 8 players you have pre-season to get them to gel.

You have no idea if it is a case of "negotiating a price then raising the money". That is nothing more than an assumption. The notion that the manager doesn't know what his budget is, to me at least, absurd.

I don't think we NEED more bodies to win the league but certainly wouldn't mind seeing a striker coming in, even if on loan. But I still think we have more than enough to win the league. Risky ? Sure. Am I concerned ? Nope.

Again, can you point to the "200k a piece for Diagourage and O Halloran" - I thought we had offered more for both of those players.

I for one am happy that we are refusing to enter auctions for players. To me it's called fiscal responsibility.

A players value is not based on what you can afford or want to pay. A whole list of circumstances are also involved. Our bids are way below value. Personally i dont think its possible MW could be estimating there value so far below what is realistic prices.

Our transfer strategy has been clearly shown in the Allan bids, O'halleron and diagouraga. We also offered the same amounts for Waghorn and Tav with the only difference being they were deemed surplus to requirments and their parent club wanted to sell lowering their value.

We have seen delays in the o'halleron bids and in diagouraga obviously. The manager has also clearly stated we have more than one target and when one is ruled out we move onto the next. That has not happened as can be evidenced by no action. He clearly said he wanted those targets in early and doesn't like to wait until the end of the window.

We have offered £150k and £200k for Ohalleron and offered 100k for Diagouraga which we then through negotiation where going to raise to around £500k but never actually put the bid in. Brentford wanted £500k plus add ons. I am sure those on here with contacts in the club can double check that if they haven't already

Its not fiscal responsibility to go after players you cannot afford. There was never any chance of securing those players at those prices.

Is it fiscal responsibility to walk into a ferrari garage and offer £10k for a £100k car just because that is what you want to pay? Personally i don't think that is. I would turn the fiscal argument back onto you and say is it fiscally responsible to not get promoted this year?

Again I will repeat I don't think for a second that is the valuations MW put on these players as they are so far removed from reality it seems at odds that such an intelligent man would deem that as appropriate way to conduct ourselves. There seems to be a mistaken idea that what you want to pay sets a players value. It doesn't. Would it make sense or be fiscally responsible for Man Utd to offer £10m for Bale?

As for the squad personally I think it is poor. We have stopped building and in my mind have got weaker this window not stronger. Promotion is within our hands but it is not even close to being absolute. We are gambling with injuries in several positions. The cover we have as far as i am concerned in some cases doesnt exist and in other positions is inadequate. I would say that is fiscally irresponsible, the consequences of failing to get promotion this year far out weigh any detriment transfers would make

If it is true that St Johnstone want their money up front then it is quite understandable given our recent history and precarious situation we still seem to be in. We are depending on loans to get through our day to day business. Yes we did pay off all our football debts but I can understand that ST Johnstone do not want to take any risks, We will have to build up trust over a few years before it is accepted we are financially stable.

I don't see it as an issue. All fotball debts would have to be paid and no football teams ended out of pocketr following or administation.

again you say spend over the odds with absolutely nothing to back that up. Where has any of our targets went for over the odds? Name one target that has sold for a value that seems inflated.

Which targets? So far, only one* slipped by after Leeds came in ... and - while you kindly left it unremarked - that target so keen in coming to Warburton took 24 hours to complete a transfer to Leeds with 12 days of the window remaining? Maybe we weren't to keen after all, or he wasn't? And while we are at it, who decides what value for money is? The media? We? Right now it seems the easiest route to say we have no money to bid more than what we offered. And what next? We had to send Oduwa back as we could not cover his wages? I see some ugly things rear their heads again after a few disappointing months for them.

*I discount Allan, as Hibs were never going to sell to us, no matter the fee.

And now I have noted what sort of reporter Scott McDermott is ...

Scott McDermott: It will be glass of whine if Dave King and co fail Mark Warburton

RANGERS boss Mark Warburton has seen his transfer plans take a hit and Scott believes Dave King needs to step up.

GETTING over the line. That’s what Rangers boss Mark 
Warburton is trying to do in the Championship.

They’re sitting pretty at the top at the moment.

And as they proved in their festive 4-2 win over Hibs at Ibrox, they are the best team in the division.

But Alan Stubbs’ men, along with Falkirk, aren’t about to sit back and allow the leaders to waltz their way to the title.

So Warburton has 
earmarked who he believes 
will get Gers over the line.

When he said last weekend that he was “very close” to securing deals for two 
players, he was clearly 
referring to St Johnstone 
forward Michael O’Halloran 
and Brentford powerhouse Toumani Diagouraga.

Warburton was convinced he was on the verge of securing his two top January targets.

After all, O’Halloran had been left out of Saints’ squad for their game against 
Hamilton and 24 hours 
earlier Diagouraga had waved goodbye to Bees’ fans.

But, incredibly, we’re eight days on and everything has been turned 
on its head.

Rangers have been beaten to Diagouraga by a basket-case of a club in Leeds.

Make no 
mistake, O’Halloran and Diagouraga believed their 
Gers deals were going through a week ago.

In fact, O’Halloran had told family and friends that 
he was Ibrox-bound.

So you have to feel for 
Warburton. Not only has he cherry-picked the players he wants for the club, he also 
chose cheap ones who should have been affordable to 
Dave King and Co upstairs.

And in O’Halloran’s case, Warburton obviously feels he adds long-term value to Gers. If he can polish the rough 
edges, the striker could be a diamond worth a lot more in the future than what St 
Johnstone are asking for now.

Warburton asked for 
£1million to effectively clinch Rangers the automatic 
promotion King demanded. But so far in this transfer 
window he’s been let down.

If the money is not there, be open about it. If it is, why is it taking so long to tie up players the boss is keen on?

Warburton did his best to fudge the issue. He joked that on deadline day he’ll be sitting on the couch with a glass 
of red wine. But if he doesn’t get the men he wants before 
February 1, he’ll be drinking the hard stuff.

Saying he’ll be 
content if he 
doesn’t get anyone 
in is guff.

Behind closed doors he’ll be furious if O’Halloran – along with a Diagouraga back-up – aren’t 
his players by the end of the month.

Their nearest 
challengers Hibs 
have signed a better player than O’Halloran in Anthony Stokes to try and win them the title.

Even Falkirk have 
strengthened.

Now it’s time for King, Ibrox MD Stewart Robertson and 
the Rangers board to deliver for their manager. He wants 
deals done. It’s their job to 
get them over the line.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdermott-glass-whine-dave-7234129

... so he tells us. The management has to deliver to Warburton ... or else! Ahem, what else? More of Rangers 4 Hibernian 2, Dumbarton 0 Rangers 6, Rangers 5 Cowdenbeath 1 or Rangers 4 Livingston 1? With Forrester not having kicked a ball in earnest?