Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

There are no rich clubs in Scotland who spend money like the English, Spanish and Chinese.

Giving our fanbase and what we put in, there is only one club who can beat us to the title. It's always been that way.

We are not up against the Lisbon Lions, far from it, more like kittens with fluffy garments.

That is why the board wanted and still wants a share issue. That aside, only investment from rich guys will sate the apparent hunger of those who want us to spend millions again. Which may or may not be needed, pending how shrewd you deal in the transfer market. The fascination about multi million pound deals is still vibrant, it seems. When quite a few clubs have shown that such investment isn't always required.

I see someone raising his hand and says: "But to be able to challenge in Europe we must ..." Yes. Nice. Put your hand down. What sort of challenge do you dream of? If you look at the teams who have won anything in Europe this last decade or so, some have been shrewd and had a well drilled and settled squad. Most had spent millions to get to the final and as long as we are in Scotland and the entire league set up is getting 30m sprinkled over 5 years, with the odd million coming from BT or some Chinese folk, we simply will not have the ressources to "challenge" in Europe. For, let's not kid ourselves here, when people speak about "challenge in Europe", they essentially mean "win silverware in Europe". We are essentially trying to keep up with the speed of an aircraft carrier fleet while sitting in a canoe. Sure, King and Co. can help with their money. We'd change from canoe to rowboat. That is the stark reality and I can't fathom why people can't accept our here and now - at least for the time being.

Anyway, folks, the window draws to a close and it would be utterly fabulous if we spare any lengthy debate till after Monday or keep it in other threads. While at work today, I checked for any news on the transfer front and ended up with three pages of at best semi-related debate. Perhaps we can rein that in for some 48 hours? Thanks.

Cant speak for everyone but when ever i have heard "Challenge in Europe" it refers to getting into the group stage and not put out in the qualifiers by teams from Cyprus and the like. Have never heard anyone say we should win the champions league that's just absurd.

If we had signed diagouraga and o halleron for £500k ish each we would have spent millions this season never mind next or the one after or the one after that. Really cant understand why you seem to think we will always be financially in the shadow of celtic who manage to spend millions with their inflated wage budget. Our depleted merchandise streams will reduce turnover but came with relatively small profit of £2-£3m per year. In the coming years i am sure our more pragmatic supporters will find a way to ensure the missing revenue is replaced in other ways. With our vastly reduced wage structure down at 30-40% compared to them up at 60% we should eventually with the aid of euro money and access to greater tv revenue,share issues, price rises in st revenue and prize money be able, while working within budget, see the days of £2-£5m being spent over a season well within the decade and certainly no pipe dream.

Its maybe time to knock the defeatist attitude on the head and start talking this great clubs future up rather than down.

Edited by trublusince1982

I think that this has been the most annoying and tiresome transfer window that I have ever known.

- Featuring shit-stirring media, bloggers and even many of our own (should be used to it by now).

- Fans failure to understand our present circumstances and being hooked by general noise.

- Our own fans who are like kids at Xmas who don't think they'll get what they want.

I think that this has been the most annoying and tiresome transfer window that I have ever known.

- Featuring shit-stirring media, bloggers and even many of our own (should be used to it by now).

- Fans failure to understand our present circumstances and being hooked by general noise.

- Our own fans who are like kids at Xmas who don't think they'll get what they want.

if we buy Ohalleron tomorrow does that not make you claims of us having no money redundant and show a lack of understanding towards our current financial position on your behalf?

Diagouraga £200k-£500k

Ohalleron £450k

Waghorn/ tav £400k

Holt 65k

Kiernan £200k

all in one season. So how is the idea of us spending millions a pipe dream when we clearly attempted to do so?

Thats over £1.5m in one season offered.

Thinks its time to stop with the nonsense we have no cash and fans are being unrealistic when we obviously have a rather large outlay on the table this season.

Obviously things have stopped the diagouraga and o'halleron deals but it certainly wasn't the fact we have no money to spend. Its strange to slag off fellow fans as unrealistic when the board have attempted to make it reality but unfortunately circumstances out with their control seem to have got in the way and we don't seem to have other similar transfer targets in mind

Personally i think spending anything close to £1.5m would have impressed fans and appeased those of us unhappy at the lack of squad building. There is still time available and some cash yet might be spent

SInce I proposed a stop of a-topical debate, I'll keep this short:

... Really cant understand why you seem to think we will always be financially in the shadow of celtic who manage to spend millions with their inflated wage budget.

I did not once mentioned the Scum, nor was I "thinking" that we'll always be "in their shadow". No idea where you got that from?

Its maybe time to knock the defeatist attitude on the head and start talking this great clubs future up rather than down.

It is neither a defeatist attitude as the the transfer debate above were excuses on my behalf. Perhaps you address this vocabular issue of yours in the future. As T4C (I think I read his exact words on FF too) has already commented, it is all about understanding our current (i.e. "here and now", not "always and forever") situation and reason accordingly.

Edited by der Berliner

SInce I proposed a stop of a-topical debate, I'll keep this short:

I did not once mentioned the Scum, nor was I "thinking" that we'll always be "in their shadow". No idea where you got that from?

It is neither a defeatist attitude as the the transfer debate above were excuses on my behalf. Perhaps you address this vocabular issue of yours in the future. As T4C (I think I read his exact words on FF too) has already commented, it is all about understanding our current (i.e. "here and now", not "always and forever") situation and reason accordingly.

so how much can we reasonably estimate we have had available to spend this season? For me it is in the millions. No?

if we buy Ohalleron tomorrow does that not make you claims of us having no money redundant and show a lack of understanding towards our current financial position on your behalf?

Diagouraga £200k-£500k

Ohalleron £450k

Waghorn/ tav £400k

Holt 65k

Kiernan £200k

all in one season. So how is the idea of us spending millions a pipe dream when we clearly attempted to do so?

Thats over £1.5m in one season offered.

Thinks its time to stop with the nonsense we have no cash and fans are being unrealistic when we obviously have a rather large outlay on the table this season.

Obviously things have stopped the diagouraga and o'halleron deals but it certainly wasn't the fact we have no money to spend. Its strange to slag off fellow fans as unrealistic when the board have attempted to make it reality but unfortunately circumstances out with their control seem to have got in the way and we don't seem to have other similar transfer targets in mind

Personally i think spending anything close to £1.5m would have impressed fans and appeased those of us unhappy at the lack of squad building. There is still time available and some cash yet might be spent

If as a business we had sufficient cash then the major shareholders wouldn't periodicaly need to lend the club large sums of money, knowing that it is only a matter of time until the next time. The intention is to turn this money lent into equity but when does it add up to an amount that swallows most of or all of the desired share issue ?

The club need to become sustainable or a lot nearer to it, as quickly as possible but have to balance that against on-field needs that make Promotion neccessary and when we get it, improving the squad for the top tier.....so as to in turn maintain/increase matchday revenue, etc.

The days of spending cash on large transfer fees are gone.

The club is looking at developing a football infrastructure that will look to maintain/improve the level of on-field quality without the need to over spend on players. It looks for value in every pound spent. eg. if the club think MO'H is worth 300K, then it simply won't pay 500-600K.

There is obviously a budget but it will be limited because of ongoing circumstances, some of which are unpredictable.

However a good footballing operation can achieve without publicly throwing money at things as we've been accustomed to over the years. A good and relevant example is Hearts and how they have went about their return to the top flight.

What we have is a situation where the media and others have got a hold of some comments on 'spending/investment intentions' that probably shouldn't have been made in such detail and using them to continually generate headlines, controversy and where possible, anger amongst our support. To a degree MW has had to publicly deal with the ongoing 'noise' but I'd like to see the board come out and remind/communicate/update what they can regards plans going forward.

If as a business we had sufficient cash then the major shareholders wouldn't periodicaly need to lend the club large sums of money, knowing that it is only a matter of time until the next time. The intention is to turn this money lent into equity but when does it add up to an amount that swallows most of or all of the desired share issue ?

The club need to become sustainable or a lot nearer to it, as quickly as possible but have to balance that against on-field needs that make Promotion neccessary and when we get it, improving the squad for the top tier.....so as to in turn maintain/increase matchday revenue, etc.

The days of spending cash on large transfer fees are gone.

The club is looking at developing a football infrastructure that will look to maintain/improve the level of on-field quality without the need to over spend on players. It looks for value in every pound spent. eg. if the club think MO'H is worth 300K, then it simply won't pay 500-600K.

There is obviously a budget but it will be limited because of ongoing circumstances, some of which are unpredictable.

However a good footballing operation can achieve without publicly throwing money at things as we've been accustomed to over the years. A good and relevant example is Hearts and how they have went about their return to the top flight.

What we have is a situation where the media and others have got a hold of some comments on 'spending/investment intentions' that probably shouldn't have been made in such detail and using them to continually generate headlines, controversy and where possible, anger amongst our support. To a degree MW has had to publicly deal with the ongoing 'noise' but I'd like to see the board come out and remind/communicate/update what they can regards plans going forward.

Not paying what we deem more than a players worth has nothing to do with the budget available. Neither does it suggest we will not pay a larger monetary figure for a player we deem worth that valuation than what was offered for diagouraga or ohalleron.

what is the distinction between spending large fees on one player to spending the same fee for several players as far as budgetary concerns go?

As long as the player brings the equivalent value that the several players would it makes no difference financially as long as no other acquisitions are required and the players value has been calculated correctly

There seems a belief that we will take a considerable amount of time to get back into profit. Personally with things going our way both on and off the park i think the boards estimation of 5 years is doable. Nobody is going to waste money, buying cheap does not necessarily provide value as neither does buying at higher costs. Value is estimated against return not just outlay

I think as has been seen this season the estimation we would look to spend about £2m has been close and we will spend more next year as further revenue streams hopefully become available through promotion.

Whether MW chooses to spend the money on one acquisition or 5 will be completely at his prerogative as long as he can justify the return. Vardy was £1.7m all in but great value same as carlos cuellar was( £2.7m spent profit £5.1m) . Value is about getting a player for an outlay below his worth it has nothing to do with cost levels

Personally i think we will put up £3m-£5m next season which will be budgeted for. Thats not to say MW will spend it, that comes down to who is available and what he deems needed.

I think its fair to say we bid between £200k-£500k for diagouraga with the expectation of following through if accepted

same goes for O'halleron at £450k

we spent £665k pre season plus the associated costs for what is deemed free transfers

All in that is near £2m on the table in the championship. There is no reason to expect that money to not be available next year if promoted with something on top.

Spending the money on one player heightens the gamble but it also can, if done correctly, heighten the return.

With the squad as is I doubt very much we would spend the money on a single player but there is no reason once a squad is fully built and performing a few years down the line that that same £2m budget we found to spend in the championship and worked into our numbers, cannot be worked into our future budgets at higher revenue streams to accommodate the capture of one player worth our full transfer budget in one season.

Anyway, folks, the window draws to a close and it would be utterly fabulous if we spare any lengthy debate till after Monday or keep it in other threads. While at work today, I checked for any news on the transfer front and ended up with three pages of at best semi-related debate. Perhaps we can rein that in for some 48 hours? Thanks.

This is one of the funniest posts that I have ever read.