Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

There's no doubt we'll have to improve the quality of the squad in the summer and, with various players out of contract, I'm confident we will.

However, as Hearts have shown this year, there will also be a section of the squad more than comfortable at SPL level.

I would agree. However, if you look at our team we have one player who is on loan, another who's almost 37, a keeper + defence who are very suspect and then the likes of Law too who isn't really good enough, even if he has played better this season. It seems to be that pretty significant investment is required if we're to challenge Celtic, who are pretty dire themselves but still quite a bit ahead of us. Europe isn't something I'm even thinking about to be honest.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We really should be developing our own players at this level.

And I think we will. Walsh, Aird and others have left on loan to ensure they're playing regularly and it's up to them to show they're good enough.

Meanwhile, McKay, Thompson and Hardie - arguably the pick of the bunch it seems - will remain part of the squad here.

FWIW, I'm not convinced (most of) the lads on loan have what it takes and I assume we're rebuilding the youth teams in the same way we are the first. As such it may not be until the next year or two before we really see progress there.

I would agree. However, if you look at our team we have one player who is on loan, another who's almost 37, a keeper + defence who are very suspect and then the likes of Law too who isn't really good enough, even if he has played better this season. It seems to be that pretty significant investment is required if we're to challenge Celtic, who are pretty dire themselves but still quite a bit ahead of us. Europe isn't something I'm even thinking about to be honest.

Like you say Celtic are nothing special and while they'll win the league at a canter, I'm more than confident of challenging them next year. I'm pretty happy with the defence/keeper given the way we play. But I certainly agree a central defender, defensive midfielder and striker need to be bought to strengthen the spine of the team.

All the more reason to wait until the summer to help maximise the quality of player we can sign (permanently).

Like you say Celtic are nothing special and while they'll win the league at a canter, I'm more than confident of challenging them next year. I'm pretty happy with the defence/keeper given the way we play. But I certainly agree a central defender, defensive midfielder and striker need to be bought to strengthen the spine of the team.

All the more reason to wait until the summer to help maximise the quality of player we can sign (permanently).

I'd like to see us get a striker in even if it's on loan til the end of season. Miller & Clark simply aren't up to it even if Miller doing well just now

Fwiw I'm not convinced we will stop prioritising other teams youths over our own.

We have to maximise quality in our squads. Hopefully it's just a matter of time until our youth quality is better (as as good as) those elsewhere so our first team squad is as strong as it can be in a self-fulfilling sense.

That may take a few years.

I'd like to see us get a striker in even if it's on loan til the end of season. Miller & Clark simply aren't up to it even if Miller doing well just now

Miller and Clark have both scored goals this season so can are capable enough in a general sense.

However, I would argue that if we lost Waghorn for any length of time then we'd struggle in terms of our overall attacking play and goalscoring threat so another player of his ilk would be agreeable. MoH may still be that player.

The fact that we're bringing in youth on loans could mean a couple of things:

1) Warburton doesn't have faith in some of the youth squad already at the club.

2) We are signing loans with an eye to pursuing a purchase at a later date.

If we don't have the quality of youth required already at the club then there isn't much point in playing them. Hopefully this will change in time.