Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

I don't think I should say but while king is a good player I fail to see a big difference between him and our youths.

Same goes for zalalem and especially odouwa.

In effect King is replacing Oduwa.

The obvious difference between BK and say Tom Walsh before considering individual qualities,...is first team gametime.

TW has been sent out on loan to increase his gametime.

Before the season McKay already had a fair bit of gametime in the bank both with Rangers and on loan (ie. better prepared for long run in team).

If BK starts games it will because he is doing well or/and injury to other(s).

I still have reasonably high hopes for Tom Walsh.

The obvious difference between BK and say Tom Walsh before considering individual qualities,...is first team gametime.

Before the season McKay already had a fair bit of gametime in the bank both with Rangers and on loan (ie. better prepared for long run in team).

Didn't Forrester replace Oduwa?

Seems to me we had a list and when we couldn't get O'Halloran (rightly not over paying) we have gone down our list of winger/strikers and landed on Billy King.

Picking up loan players that can't get a regular game else where isn't going to get the job done IMO.

Just imagine if Walsh had been given oduwas game time. We wouldn't have had to turn to hearts and it's hard to see how he could have been worse.

We really should be developing our own players at this level.

And had we removed Sinclair a couple of years earlier and replaced him with Mulholland we could very well have seen more youth/U20's in the 1st team picture.

The issue isn't the Academy or the running of it, at least not currently. It is the pre-historic attitude of the former Academy incumbent that wanted nothing more than big, strong lads. Technique, touch, awareness didn't matter as much.

Mulholland is a breath of fresh air and I would imagine that in the coming seasons we will see more Academy players graduate to the first team.

So whilst I think we all would agree with you that "We really should be developing our own players at this level" the sad reality is that the previous incumbents (McCoist and, more so, Sinclair) ruined that for us over the last 3 or 4 years.

Didn't Forrester replace Oduwa?

Seems to me we had a list and when we couldn't get O'Halloran (rightly not over paying) we have gone down our list of winger/strikers and landed on Billy King.

Picking up loan players that can't get a regular game else where isn't going to get the job done IMO.

According to Richadr Wilson O'halloran was seen by Rangers as a striker

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/01/29/whitecaps-fc-acquire-canadian-international-fraser-aird?hootPostID=91bc9e78974061f575d373587267a305

looks like confirmation of aird rumour although not just loan but option to buy also

edit confirmed

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/aird-heads-vancouver/

Edited by trublusince1982

This is well worth a read for those that don't think King is good enough:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hearts/314157-how-hearts-brushed-aside-the-competiton-to-win-the-scottish-championship/

Yes, there's some uncertainty about his suitability for higher levels but, for the rest of this season, he's certainly more than useful.

Excellent analysis but if King is so good why are Hearts letting him go on loan?

Is it a kind of Machiavellian plot to help us get promoted?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Good luck to the lad, best thing for him, he simply failed to progress from a good start when a certain poster was comparing him to the legendary Alex Scott :facepalm:

Just imagine if Walsh had been given oduwas game time. We wouldn't have had to turn to hearts and it's hard to see how he could have been worse.

I wouldn't disagree as I like Walsh as a player (v Oduwa) and I'd be happy to see our own players get gametime with Rangers before loans if possible. I'd imagine something similar will happen with Jordan Thompson (maybe loaned out first half of next season) for him to get gametime and develop.......Here's hoping Walsh comes back ready to compete at first team level.

Managing players through development level to first team regular isn't easy for a number of reasons but it's an area we have to greatly improve on. Occasionally you'll get a player who can make an immediate step-up and keep his development going but they aren't thick on the ground given the demands of Rangers.

We obviously missed the boat for bringing players through in the less pressuried lower leagues......