Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

Kal Naismith thinks Windass would be a great signing

IN the space of a summer Kal Naismith saw pal Josh Windass grow into a man.

Now a winter transfer window could see him join the big boys at Naismith’s old club Rangers.

SunSport revealed on Saturday how Ibrox gaffer Mark Warburton is confident of tying up a deal for the Accrington Stanley midfielder.

Naismith says Josh Windass can shine in Scotland at Gers just like Hull legend dad Dean did in time at Aberdeen

Windass is out of contract at the end of the season and Gers hope to land him from the League Two side next month.

Former Gers kid Naismith became good friends with the 21-year-old during his two-year spell alongside him at the Crown Ground.

He remembers seeing the way Windass’ ability wasn’t being allowed to flourish because he didn’t have the muscle to back it up.

But after a close season of relentless running and gym sessions he returned with a new frame — and hasn’t looked back since.

Now winger Naismith — on loan at Hartlepool from Portsmouth — reckons it would be a real coup if Rangers landed a player he believes has EVERYTHING.

Naismith, 23, said: “Josh is a very good player.

“We were at Accrington at the same time and at the start he was a young boy, skinny and wasn’t as strong.

“I could tell he had loads of ability but in his first season he was a bit-part player, a young lad still learning the game.

“At the same time, in training he was always one of the standout players but as he was a bit young and didn’t know the game too well, he couldn’t get into the team.

“He was a bit weak for League Two. But then he went away for that summer and he had matured a lot physically when he came back the next season.

“He was so strong, he was quick, powerful. From the start of that season I thought to myself that he was going to go on — as looks to be the case now — to bigger and better things.

“I always knew that Josh had the ability — but he grew into a man that summer.

“He was looked at as potential when I first saw him.

“I became closer with him so I was speaking a lot to him over that summer and he was telling me how he was doing.

“He always seemed to be in the gym or out running. He’s got a very good attitude to be fair.

“When he came back that pre-season he was winning all fitness tests, all strength tests, sprint tests.

“He cleaned up with everything and you could just tell that he was ready to kick on.

“He did well then — and this season it’s no surprise to me to see him doing so well.

“When I was at Accrington people would ask about the standard and even before I was close with him I’d say there was a lad Josh Windass who had incredible ability. I don’t honestly know what he’s not good at, he’s got that much ability.

“He is a flair player but his work-rate is incredibly good too.

“He has honestly got everything and there’s no real flaw in his game.”

Windass — whose dad Dean starred for Aberdeen — also knows plenty about Rangers.

Naismith made sure of that when they played together.

And he has also been on the phone to him since news broke of Gers’ interest.

Clubs down south are sure to be looking too, with Arsenal already linked.

But Naismith reckons it is the Light Blues who will get their man.

He said: “I’d be happy for him to go to Rangers. He’d be a great signing for them.

“It would be a really good move for Josh as well. He used to ask me questions about the club at Accrington.

“We would chat and he’d ask what Rangers is like and I’d always tell him how good a club it is, how unbelievable the fans are.

“When the interest came about he phoned me straight away.

“He’s still keeping his feet on the ground and focusing on Accrington.

“But it’s a club that would massively turn his head and I said it would be a fantastic club to go to.

“I also think that from Rangers’ point of view, and what they are doing by going for younger boys, it’s brilliant.

“It’s the right way and Josh would be an unbelievable signing.”

Windass has had to battle back from snapping his leg in two places as he came through the ranks at Huddersfield.

It was to be an injury that played a part in him being freed by the Terriers — but since then the player has rebuilt himself in mind and body.

Naismith added: “Fair play to Josh, he broke his leg when he was young and was out for a year.

“To come back and to have the attitude he does and go from Accrington to, potentially, Rangers is a huge step.

“I’m not saying he would go straight in and be unbelievable for Rangers but I think that he’d be an excellent young signing.

“Josh is a very good player — and he knows it.

“I’m sure he thinks he’s the best in the world, but I don’t know if I’d give him that title yet!

“He’s obviously a very good player and he’s confident too which helps footballers, especially playing in front of big crowds like Rangers have.

“Players have won World Cups and still struggled in front of that crowd.

“But Josh could play any level if he keeps his attitude right.

“He’s two-footed — his right foot is very good and his left isn’t too bad either.

“His strength, power and pace mean he can just go past people as if they’re not there.

“Josh has got all the tools to be not just a good player but a very good player — at any level.”

January is hopefully when we see a couple joining the sqaud and adding value.

It's not so much about where they come from but that the scouting has been good and recognized real potential.

It's about having a football operation that can find the players and then can improve them whilst fitting them into ongoing plans.

Rangers transfer targets: Meet the men Mark Warburton could snap up in transfer window

13:23, 8 Dec 2015

By Kevin Mcallion

RECORD Sport online gives you the inside track on potential January arrivals

PA Wire/SNS Group/Getty Images/Huddersfield Examiner

The men Mark Warburton could bring to Rangers in the January transfer window

The January transfer window opens in less than a month and Rangers boss Mark Warburton will be keen to add some fresh faces to help his side outgun Hibs in the race for the Championship title.

A few players have been linked with a move to Ibrox but the likes of Josh Windass, Matt Crooks and Vladislavs Gutkovskis are hardly household names.

Here, Record Sport on-line profiles the trio to give punters an insight into the men who could be wearing Gers strips come the end of January.

Josh Windass

Accrington Stanley’s Josh Windass

The Accrington midfielder comes from good stock as his dad is former Aberdeen striker Dean Windass. Like his old man he has an eye for goal, having netted 11 times for the League Two side this season.

Windass is now in his third season at Accrington after arriving on a free following a spell with non-league Harrogate Railway after leaving Huddersfield. His scoring knack has only been discovered recently as the youngster netted his first goal for the club back in February. Since then has been in deadly form, showing the kind of finishing prowess that endeared his dad to Dons fans.

Warburton will be glad to know Josh hasn’t shown any signs of the temper that landed his father in trouble with the SFA during his time at Pittodrie. Windass Snr was infamously sent off three times in a game at Dundee United in 1997 but Josh has only been booked three times in his entire career.

Josh’s deal with Accrington expires in the summer so he wouldn’t cost too much and dad Dean has already hinted that he will move in January. But Rangers could face competition for a man Stanley boss John Coleman rates as the £1million bracket.

Matt Crooks

Getty Images/Clive Brunskill

Matt Crooks in action for Accrington against Hull

The utility man’s career has plenty in common with Accrington team-mate Windass as they are both 21 and arrived at Stanley after a spell with Huddersfield. But Crooks is more concerned with stopping the opposition scoring rather than bulging the net himself as he has spent most of his days as a defender or defensive midfielder.

He certainly got a good grounding in the game, starting out in Manchester United’s famous academy before moving to Huddersfield and turning pro. He was so highly rated at Town that he was nominated for League One Apprentice of the Year, eventually missing out to Charlton's Jordan Cousins.

After loan spells with Halifax and Radcliffe Borough, Huddersfield boss Mark Robins decided to throw Crooks into the first team at the start last season. But his debut turned into a disaster as they lost 4-0 to Bournemouth and Robins was axed, with Crooks never playing for them again.

He bounced back during a loan spell with Accrington and eventually moved there permanently, impressing so much that boss Coleman tipped him to strike it rich in the game.

He said: “There are just a couple of things he could iron out, and he’d be a millionaire, because there are millionaires who haven’t got his talent or his physique.”

Vladislavs Gutkovskis

Ross Brownlee/SNS Group

Vladislavs Gutkovskis takes part in Rangers training

The Latvian striker knows the way to goal, having netted an impressive 34 goals in 51 appearances for Skonto Riga, and at the age of 20 there is plenty of room for improvement.

He was top scorer in the Latvian top flight last year, with 28 goals, and now looks destined to play at a higher level. Rangers look favourites to snap him up after taking Gutkovskis on trial and he has all the attributes to succeed in Scotland.

The hitman has plenty of presence and is a bustling six footer who is good in the air. For a big man he also possesses plenty of pace and if he impresses at Murray Park then Gers would be wise to sign him up as Gutkovskis has already been on trial with English giants Everton and is sure to be a target for other clubs.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-transfer-targets-meet-men-6974597

Rangers eye swoop for Greg Stewart

By EUAN McARTHUR

RANGERS are lining up a New Year swoop for Dundee star Greg Stewart.

The Ibrox side have targeted the highly-rated striker as they eye promotion to the Premiership.

Light Blues boss Mark Warburton is a big admirer of 25-year-old Stewart.

Main Image

Gers want to land Dundee star Greg Stewart in January window

And the English gaffer knows he will have to strengthen his squad if his Championship leaders make it to the top flight.

Stewart is seen as an ideal acquisition by the Ibrox club who sit three points clear at the top of the Championship.

Stewart has been a huge hit at Dens Park since joining the Dark Blues from Cowdenbeath in the summer of 2014.

He was nominated for the PFA Scotland Player of the Year award for his exploits in his first season in the top division.

The Tayside club won’t want to lose their prize asset as they attempt to make it into the top six for the second season running.

But Stewart has just 18 months of his contract to run and would be free to sign a pre-contract in just over 12 months if he doesn’t sign an extended deal.

Dundee could decide to cash in on their prize asset before then and give boss Paul Hartley the chance to add to his squad should they receive a suitable offer in the January transfer window.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/6795293/Rangers-eye-swoop-for-Greg-Stewart.html

Edited by pete

"Light Blues boss Mark Warburton is a big admirer of 25-year-old Stewart." .... dunno, but why do press people think they get away with this stuff time and again? Must be C&P writing-style ... for I doubt that MW has spoken to anyone outside the club about people he would like to sign or who he "admires".

No Rangers background according to this, but he might have been in pre-u17 categories ...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/greg-stewart/profil/spieler/156775