Rangers oldco liquidators set to take 'Big Tax Case' to a Supreme Court appeal

Surprised? My ghast is truly flabbered.

Both Cosgrove and Spiers were telling the BBC Radio Scotland listeners that it would NOT be appealed. Ah well, wishful thinking masquerading as factual information again.

You could put together a mildly entertaining and perhaps informative programme focusing on quotes/calls that have been made within our long running saga that have proven to be wildly inaccurate or simply wrong.

You could then draw up a League Table of pundits/journalists/prominent bloggers and social media users.....to see who came 'Top of Wrong'.

:laugh:

........:seal:

As for the possible appeal, I think I'll wait until it is lodged before saying much,...although I'd note the supposed communication between BDO and 'Sir Duped' and would be interested to listen to that discussion, if it actually took place.

Edited by buster.

I think an appeal to the Supreme Court would be the final decision - though that court may well pick and choose what the oldco is liable for; i.e. it's not completely black and white with regard to being guilty or non-guilty so to speak.

Thanks Frankie.

Surprised? My ghast is truly flabbered.

Both Cosgrove and Spiers were telling the BBC Radio Scotland listeners that it would NOT be appealed. Ah well, wishful thinking masquerading as factual information again.

I never listen to that show man, but I thoroughly enjoy your updates on it :thup:

If HMRC has lost the last appeal, they would have taken it to the Supreme Court. So nothing has changed apart from the now clear fact, that they won't get such a bias bench at the SC. That mere fact fills me with hope.

Agreed...we'll just have to settle for a 3-1 victory as opposed to 4-0.

BDO will challenge the decision that Rangers' use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs) - used between 2001 and 2010 - broke tax rules.

RANGERS oldco’s liquidators are to launch a legal challenge against the ‘Big Tax Case’ ruling to the highest appeal court in the land.

BDO, will announced its move to a final appeal to the Supreme Court next week.

And the company has already been in touch with former Rangers owner David Murray over the case, according to the Herald.

It means BDO will be the main challengers of judges’ decision that Rangers’ use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs) broke tax rules.

The appeal judges, Lord Carloway, sitting with Lord Menzies and Lord Drummond Young ruled that if income was derived from an employee’s services, in their capacity as an employee, it was an emolument or earnings and “thus assessable to income tax”.

The ruling led to calls for the Ibrox club to be stripped of titles and competitions won in the years the EBTs were used.

Rangers used the scheme from 2001 until 2010.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-oldco-liquidators-bdo-launch-6866457

Why would BDO tell the media about what they are planning to do next week? Just saying ...

You do wonder what the reaction will be from those barking louds that fill the papers and station with their anti-Rangers bile? Those who weren't to be seen after the last two verdicts, those who cry foul after HMRC's temporary victory now and demand title-stripping. I reckon that should "we" win at the SC, they - after throwing tons of dirt our way - will just move on as if nothing had happened. Apart from the Yahoos, who will Copy & Paste their "We still can't understand ..." statement. You would need brains first to understand what was happening though.

The SFA / SPFL essentially did - for a change - the sensible thing and waited whether BDO would keep it alive. Not that this suggests that had BDO accepted the verdict, they would have found a way and a means to hare after us ...

I may be wrong, but has every decision not said we were liable for something? Just not what HMRC were claiming bar the last decision of course.

I think there has been the odd concession but obviously not to the scale HMRC want to consider their pursuit a success.

A few other outlets have picked the original Herald story up so looks like there's something in the appeal claim.