Rangers FC has withdrawn £40,000 worth of advertising revenue from The Herald

Like I say, I'm not convinced the two issues are all that similar given the time gap and contexts.

Perhaps if she kept her story more general then her point may not have been lost in this understandable sea of umbrage.

Did you read the article? The whole point is the incidents aren't the same. The whole point is that sexual assault and harassment is not just carried out by certain groups of men. It's not about race. She was recalling personal incidences to illustrate this.

Again Frankie, you are suggesting she has to dilute her experience to appease fans because it's uncomfortable for them to hear it?

Did you read the article? The whole point is the incidents aren't the same. The whole point is that sexual assault and harassment is not just carried out by certain groups of men. It's not about race. She was recalling personal incidences to illustrate this.

Again Frankie, you are suggesting she has to dilute her experience to appease fans because it's uncomfortable for them to hear it?

Yes, of course I read the article...

Right away the over-eager mention of her changing politics and crap about Rangers being steeped in Unionist, Orange traditions put me off and I felt such stuff was irrelevant (and distracting) to the overall point being made. Indeed, one could argue she'd diluted her message herself by the end of the second sentence. For example, if she wanted to concentrate on specifics why didn't she mention her teacher or school by name?

In terms of the overall piece, I think her point is fair enough and, like I said, I completely agree sexual assault is something we should all deplore - no matter the circumstances. However, right or wrongly, people will be put off by parochial analogies when discussing such serious subjects and that's a criticism I think is valid of this article.

Funny how "all Muslims" is taboo but "all men" seems to be perfectly fine with the regressive left. If you dare to suggest there's a link between terrorism and religion then you are a racist, bigot blah blah blah but smearing an entire sex with the crimes of the few is perfectly reasonable.

Alive in Wonderland looks like a documentary these days.

Funny how "all Muslims" is taboo but "all men" seems to be perfectly fine with the regressive left. If you dare to suggest there's a link between terrorism and religion then you are a racist, bigot blah blah blah but smearing an entire sex with the crimes of the few is perfectly reasonable.

Alive in Wonderland looks like a documentary these days.

A regressive lefty writes: Well, aye, apart from the bit where she specifically rejects the idea that 'all men' are this or that.

There is always the immediate response: “But not all men behave like that.” And of course, that’s true. Not all men are misogynists.

Btw 'Alive in Wonderland' would be a superb album titile.

Women are second class citizens in many Muslim countries. That seems too uncomfortable for her to extrapolate such behaviour into Europe. Comparisons to what happened to her 30 odd years ago aren't really valid. A time when Robertsons had golliwogs on jam jars and women were treated differently. She needs to consider why Muslim countries have attitudes stuck in a time warp not 30 but 100's of years ago

A regressive lefty writes: Well, aye, apart from the bit where she specifically rejects the idea that 'all men' are this or that.

Btw 'Alive in Wonderland' would be a superb album titile.

It took me a second to see where you got the "Alive..." part from and then I realised it was from me. Sausage fingers.

I don't think you're a regressive lefty mate, you still have your feet firmly planted in reality. I like to think I have too and most people would say I'm left of centre when it comes to politics but over the past year or so a few souls seem to have snapped off a rudder and become lodged in a permanent ant-clockwise spin.

Tell me what the difference between saying "the common denominator in terrorism is Islam" and "The common denominator in most sex attacks is not race or ethnicity, but gender" is please? I would argue that Carolyn Leckie's point is less valid due to the inability of men to be anything other than men (transgender issues aside) whereas Islam and Islamism more pertinently is a set of ideas.

If anybody is wondering what Regressive Left is, just have a read at this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/12093408/John-McDonnell-attends-protest-event-organised-by-Cage.html

John McDonnell has attended an event for former Guantanamo detainees organised by a controversial campaign group once labelled terrorist apologists.

The Shadow Chancellor joined with organisers from Cage, whose research director, Asim Qureshi, described "Jihadi John" as a "beautiful young man" last year.

Also attending the event were seven former Guantanamo detainees including Shaker Aamer and Moazzam Begg, who is now a director of Cage.

Six British universities are facing an inquiry after Cage used meetings on campus to encourage the “sabotage” of the government’s official anti-extremism programme.

Mr Begg told students “any right-minded person” would oppose the Prevent strategy and told audiences they should have sympathy for jihadists killed fighting with Al Nusra, the Syrian branch of al-Qaeda.

Jeremy Corbyn's close ally attended the event organised by the human rights organisation to call for the closure of the Guantanamo bay.

Cage organised the protest outside the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square this afternoon to mark the 14th anniversary of the opening of the prison in Cuba.

Mr McDonnell said: "I am chair of the All-Party Shaker Aamer Parliamentary Group and it is part of out campaign to ensure Obama upholds his promises to shut down Guantanamo. "This will bring an end to the atrocities taking place there. The reason why it is important that it is shut down before Obama finishes his term is because if it isn't by then there is the fear that it may never will. "The allegations include physical assault and sleep deprivation. I don't know how many detainees there are still in Guantanamo - you would have to ask Shaker."

A spokesperson for Mr McDonnell said: "John was invited to attend the event by the Shaker Aamer Campaign in his role as chair of the cross party parliamentary group of MPs, which includes Tory and Lib Dem members."

Mr Aamer was released from the prison in October 2015 after being held without trial or charge for 14 years.

Cage said it was a "historical moment as this is the largest gathering of former detainees to protest the prison."

It will also be "an emotional first meeting for the men who have never before met to share their experiences of imprisonment at Guantanamo with Shaker."

In November the Director of the advocacy group said Jihad is an "important concept" and in some cases suicide bombings are "a price worth paying".

Cage director Moazzam Begg -

King’s College London, October 14 and November 19, 2015

Moazzam Begg encouraged students to oppose the new Prevent laws “at least in word if not in deed”, but he later insisted he was not advocating any illegal activity. He was also accused of encouraging sympathy for jihadist groups such as the Syrian-based al-Nusra, but, in response, said Britain had previously supported groups such as the Afghanistan mujahedeen and the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.

A spokesman for KCL said: ““We have reviewed the footage (from the events) and while the comments made by some of the speakers were controversial, we strongly reject that they were extremist.”

SOAS University of London, September 29, November 2, and November 18

Mr Begg compared Western governments to rapists and compared Muslims in the UK to Jews before the rise of the Nazis, though Mr Begg insisted Britain was not “anywhere near” the point of Jews in Nazi Germany.

SOAS Registrar Laura Gibbs said: “These events were legal and no concerns were raised with us by local police or Prevent officers.”

University of East London, November 22

Mr Begg described David Cameron as an extremist and an article written by Mr Begg in the aftermath of the Paris attacks was circulated in which he said “If you are bombing a country you can expect something to happen”.

A spokesman for the university said: “The University is fully aware of current legislation and its own particular obligations in respect of the law; in our view, no reported views or comments appear to have contravened this legislation.

University of Manchester, October 21

Mr Begg quoted a former senior Muslim police officer who had described Prevent as a “toxic brand”.

The university said: “We followed the Prevent duty guidance…the University did not judge that the event was likely to include extremist content and so has complied with its legal duties in this respect.”

University of Birmingham, October 15

Mr Begg said: “These new laws are something the Stasi of East Germany would be proud of.”

A university spokesman said: “The University is confident that it complied with the relevant Prevent guidelines and our legal duties.”

University of Bradford, October 20

Mr Begg spoke at a Student Not Suspects event, quoting his Guantanamo lawyer who said “the law doesn’t work, we have to embarrass these bastards”.

A university spokesman said: “The University was not aware the Students’ Union were taking part in this particular event due to an administrative oversight which will not be repeated. However, we consider the event was in accordance with our obligations to promote freedom of speech and our legal duties under Prevent.”