Rangers FC has withdrawn £40,000 worth of advertising revenue from The Herald

Surely we aren't withdrawing because of that? That's extremely mild and would be relatively funny to a neutral.

The Herald has printed far, far worse over the past 15 years and should have been banned, but not over a minor joke.

I don't believe in censorship of the press in any form and it's arguable that withdrawing advertising is a form of blackmail but that headline is totally out of order and if the Herald lose out of it then they only have themselves to blame.

Declining to advertise is not censorship.

Surely we aren't withdrawing because of that? That's extremely mild and would be relatively funny to a neutral.

The Herald has printed far, far worse over the past 15 years and should have been banned, but not over a minor joke.

I tend to be relatively sanguine about newspaper stuff but even if it wasn't "deliberately inflammatory" the editor must have known it would be viewed as such and the defence of "it's truthfull" really doesn't wash, because the issue could have been avoided and the same point made if the player's first name had been added to the headline.

I don't buy newspapers since I stopped getting the FT so know nothing of the history but perhaps it was the proverbial straw.....

That said, I would never ban a journalist, I don't care what they write unless it is downright lies on matters of fact rather than opinion and only then after several warnings and opportunities to withdraw and/or correct.

I am in the SDM camp on this; and you know that his view was if you don't like what they write don't buy the paper, so I suppose don't advertise in it is just an extension of that principle.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Delighted to hear this, if true.

The Herald has many many years of unbalanced reporting. I will reiterate my aim that we cut out newspapers completely, from pressers to access to players to advertising. I am convinced we get nothing out of it, other than helping to keep them alive when they hate us.

One small step towards achieving my aim.

They share exact same headline stories, the Herald behind a paywall, so I'd think they have the same owner.

Think it may be both the herald and the times joint advert spend. Is it the same owner?

Newsquest

Scotland

Newsquest Herald & Times Group (Glasgow)

Evening Times

S1 Cars

S1 Community

S1 Date

S1 Homes

S1 Jobs

S1 Play

S1 Rental

Scottish Farmer

Sunday Herald

The Herald

http://www.newsquest.co.uk/portfolio/our-titles/#scotland