EPL here we go again

Yes they would have to allow us to leave the Scottish leagues. But as said, the SFA are mandated by higher football authorities to be in charge all football matches held within Scotland. There is no law, civil or under football law that would or could force the SFA to allow us to play our home matches in Scotland. We can leave any time we want. We just couldn't play home games at Ibrox. There is also the matter that we would have to leave Scottish football altogether before we could officially apply for membership of any other league.

This is what i don't get - has the SFA more or greater powers than say the English football authorities? The biggest thing against us is that dont need us

This is what i don't get - has the SFA more or greater powers than say the English football authorities? The biggest thing against us is that dont need us

FIFA and UEFA set the rules on which football governance body runs a domestic league. The SFA have the same level of power as the English league when it comes to deciding what happens within the orders of their own football country.

A current championship side into the premier league - and when finances are going to hit top tv dollar next season..they dont need us anyway. this should be moved to the lounge as laughter chat.

We have our own house to re-build

FIFA and UEFA set the rules on which football governance body runs a domestic league. The SFA have the same level of power as the English league when it comes to deciding what happens within the orders of their own football country.

You are confusing the Scottish Football Association who control all football played in Scotland with the English League who only control who plays in their League, they don't control the rest of English Football, which is controlled by the FA, which is perhaps what you meant.

Whilst we have to be registered with our own National Association to play football at all e.g. in Europe, I am not sure that the SFA could prevent Rangers playing in an English League or Timbuktoo for that matter. (Since I'm on holiday I'll leave it to others to check the SFA Articles on this one and will stand to be corrected.) They MIGHT try but I doubt that would survive a legal challenge for restraint of trade. We would have more to worry about with FIFA/UEFA but there are numerous examples of this all over Europe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country.

Indeed there are so many examples that it would be difficult to argue that each is a special case.

You are confusing the Scottish Football Association who control all football played in Scotland with the English League who only control who plays in their League, they don't control the rest of English Football, which is controlled by the FA, which is perhaps what you meant.

Whilst we have to be registered with our own National Association to play football at all e.g. in Europe, I am not sure that the SFA could prevent Rangers playing in an English League or Timbuktoo for that matter. (Since I'm on holiday I'll leave it to others to check the SFA Articles on this one and will stand to be corrected.) They MIGHT try but I doubt that would survive a legal challenge for restraint of trade. We would have more to worry about with FIFA/UEFA but there are numerous examples of this all over Europe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country.

Indeed there are so many examples that it would be difficult to argue that each is a special case.

Believe me BH, the SFA have the power to prevent ANY football match taking place in Scotland. I remeber a very long thread on the FF board many years ago when this very point was debated and settled.

A current championship side into the premier league - and when finances are going to hit top tv dollar next season..they dont need us anyway. this should be moved to the lounge as laughter chat.

We have our own house to re-build

Was just about to post similar... Its always been a total nonsense when you think about the old analogy of turkeys voting for Christmas. Add in the ever-increasing TV money and nobody needs or let alone wants us down there.

Believe me BH, the SFA have the power to prevent ANY football match taking place in Scotland. I remeber a very long thread on the FF board many years ago when this very point was debated and settled.

As the SFA give out the licences it is quite obvious that they can do that. It is games from teams under their or UEFA's jurisdiction though.. They couldn't stop a pirate association starting up, as happened in darts.

We need a total crash of interest in English football for there to be a chance. Our only loophole could be starting in the Conference or lower - but even then why would lower EP teams and top EC teams vote for future competitiion that could push them down?

As the SFA give out the licences it is quite obvious that they can do that. It is games from teams under their or UEFA's jurisdiction though.. They couldn't stop a pirate association starting up, as happened in darts.

What good would a pirate association do for us pete ? Even if we got 16 or so clubs from wherever to play us on a weekly basis we would not have access to European and our players banned from international competitions. Then there is the safety certificate and policing issues to get around. What chance the police attending to cover say Rangers v Newcastle at Ibrox while a Scottish semi final or final is being held at Hampden ?

In the entirely hypothetical scenario of Rangers applying and being accepted into any level of English Football and such a move were to be sanctioned by FIFA/UEFA I cannot see the SFA attempting never mind succeeding in preventing Rangers playing home matches at Ibrox or anywhere else in Scotland for that matter.

Edited by BrahimHemdani