EPL here we go again

That could play in the English leagues. Berwick are an English club and proud of it, but play their football in Scotland and proud of that fact. We could do the same and happily live with that fact.

And is the Berwick analogy similar to Cardiff etc. i.e. was there a Scottish league in existence? Think there was. It' s a legal minefield but now I'd rather see us form part of a superleague to challenge the EPL etc.

A pan-European league would be very exciting, but how would European qualification work? Would the CL and EL just do without some of the 'biggest' teams? And would clubs be happy to forget about Europe?

Guess you need to have some form of pyramid system with fast track qualification. This idea was first mooted some years ago by the then owner of PSV and seemed to garner a lot of support. his idea I think was to run alongside domestic leagues.

I'd much prefer entry into the English leagues than have some sort of pan-European league for the following reasons:

1. We are part of Great Britain already, and therefore a British league, rather than a mixture of other countries makes more sense.

2. Shorter distances to travel and no language or cultural issues.

3. English teams have a much greater identity to me and many other Gers fans than Anderlecht, PSV and Brondby. Games against them would be much more interesting.

4. It would be more permanent. A pan_European league could break up at any point if teams lost interest in it.

Not happening anytime in the foreseeable future. The Welsh clubs in England predate the existence of a Welsh league so don't offer any precedent. And whilst the premier league chieftains might fancy adding two huge sides to their potential roster of Super Sundays, few of the teams are going to welcome such potentially well-resourced competition.

One of the better chances of us being pitched against the English better sides would be a merger of the League Cup to some all-British competition, sponsored by Sky. Most Welsh, Scottish, or Ulster teams would bow out early on, but that is not exactly our concern. Whether most of the non-English sides actually have the ressources to play e.g. in Southeast England is another matter that may stop them from participating.

BTW, Berwick Rangers is a far better sample than Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham playing in another nation's league. That said, geographical issues can't be brought up with regards of the OF joining any English league.

Wasn't UEFA thinking up a better model of the Europa League anyway?

As regards the SFA, well money talks; they would have to allow us to exit the league - restraint of trade and all that..

Yes they would have to allow us to leave the Scottish leagues. But as said, the SFA are mandated by higher football authorities to be in charge all football matches held within Scotland. There is no law, civil or under football law that would or could force the SFA to allow us to play our home matches in Scotland. We can leave any time we want. We just couldn't play home games at Ibrox. There is also the matter that we would have to leave Scottish football altogether before we could officially apply for membership of any other league.

That could play in the English leagues. Berwick are an English club and proud of it, but play their football in Scotland and proud of that fact. We could do the same and happily live with that fact.

As far as I understood it, following treaties made many years ago Berwick is a Scottish town governed by England. Both countries agreed that is how it would work This is not a political or nationalist statement btw.