For what it's worth, every reporter (in the broadest sense of the word) is biased; no matter how objective one tries to be, prejudice will rear it's head. I think our problem is that we obviously don't agree with their anti-Rangers perspective, inevitably so. I don't think hiring/encouraging a pro-Rangers reporter will overcome the deficiencies of the anti-Rangers cabal -- despite us probably agreeing with it/them. It's still the same medium.

I don't quite agree with you here - I think while reporters will always have there own opinion, they should be able to be professional enough not to let that interfere with good reporting. If a young, gallus footballer not old enough to have gained much wisdom or philosophy can just go out and score (or at least try to win) against the team he supports, a mature, seasoned and well educated wielder of the pen or typewriter, should be able to write something without having to twist the truth to some nefarious agenda and put some objectivity into his work.

And that's the point here - we are not talking about a wee bit well thought out and respectful opinion to colour the written piece, we're talking Goebbels style propaganda using lies, fallacy, exaggeration and systematic omission to attempt convince the reader of a completely false representation of the truth, and motivate them into hatred of one football club and its fans - and with what looks like an intention to harm those targets.

For me, it's not that we disagree, it's that we find the very fact of that extreme agenda which could probably be described as a campaign, despicable and would still find it so if it was about another club or any other subject matter.

THe problem is that real journalism doesn't exist, it's now all "yellow" journalism that has got out of control, with reporters obsessed with their own importance - but it seems to sell and so their employers encourage it.

However, I think the modern day internet user is far more savvy and understand what going on and are well versed in terms like "click bait". That's why their market is shrinking with media like this forum taking over. However, that probably just makes them more desperate and instead of learning to adapt to the market, and adopting a plan B, they just do plan A, "better". But this is not in a good sense of the word. Better here, means more extreme.

I'd be very happy to let someone run with a live text commentary of the game. It's not something I can do myself as I'm usually at them (or watching on TV) but for those that are capable of doing two things at once, feel free to press ahead... :)

You have our fantastic Wifi system at hand.:seal:

For you to hear something coming out of your 'wireless' would be a complex and expensive business. On the other hand internet broadcasting isn't at all expensive a few quid a month for a dedicated streaming service is pretty much all it would take. You wouldn't need licenses from PRS or PPL if you're not broadcasting recorded music. If you are then you can get round it by creating the intro-outro music yourself.

I don't quite agree with you here - I think while reporters will always have there own opinion, they should be able to be professional enough not to let that interfere with good reporting. If a young, gallus footballer not old enough to have gained much wisdom or philosophy can just go out and score (or at least try to win) against the team he supports, a mature, seasoned and well educated wielder of the pen or typewriter, should be able to write something without having to twist the truth to some nefarious agenda and put some objectivity into his work.

And that's the point here - we are not talking about a wee bit well thought out and respectful opinion to colour the written piece, we're talking Goebbels style propaganda using lies, fallacy, exaggeration and systematic omission to attempt convince the reader of a completely false representation of the truth, and motivate them into hatred of one football club and its fans - and with what looks like an intention to harm those targets.

For me, it's not that we disagree, it's that we find the very fact of that extreme agenda which could probably be described as a campaign, despicable and would still find it so if it was about another club or any other subject matter.

THe problem is that real journalism doesn't exist, it's now all "yellow" journalism that has got out of control, with reporters obsessed with their own importance - but it seems to sell and so their employers encourage it.

However, I think the modern day internet user is far more savvy and understand what going on and are well versed in terms like "click bait". That's why their market is shrinking with media like this forum taking over. However, that probably just makes them more desperate and instead of learning to adapt to the market, and adopting a plan B, they just do plan A, "better". But this is not in a good sense of the word. Better here, means more extreme.

You're absolutely right. I am guilty of defining the guys in question as 'journalists', when in fact they're more like columnists; exactly the thing I was trying to argue (D'uh!). 'Journalists' should "be able to write something without having to twist the truth to some nefarious agenda", but I just don't think that's what these guys are.

Of course, a definition is not the real problem, which I think you've hit upon: that it's not just some bias, but a "Goebbels style propaganda using lies, fallacy, exaggeration and systematic omission to attempt convince the reader of a completely false representation of the truth".

It is 'yellow' journalism, exacerbated by the internet. If internet users are 'savvy' enough to recognise click bate, then why are we bothering about it? Shouldn't we just ignore it for the tripe it is, and let it destroy itself?

'Journalists' should "be able to write something without having to twist the truth to some nefarious agenda", but I just don't think that's what these guys are.

I completely agree with that. For a professional, it should be very easy. The problem is, where are the "Journalists"? Your average fanzine is far more fair and objective.

It is 'yellow' journalism, exacerbated by the internet. If internet users are 'savvy' enough to recognise click bate, then why are we bothering about it? Shouldn't we just ignore it for the tripe it is, and let it destroy itself?

I suppose I've already invoked Godwin's law so maybe shouldn't labour it to use the Nazi example, but I think it's obvious what damage this kind of tripe can do as there are enough people who want to believe this kind of stuff and so it feeds them - not only by reading the tripe direct but because the memes can spread like a virus on forums etc, when you have the type of people who want to lap it up.

It's obvious we've suffered great damage from the anti-Rangers bigotry that has been peddled, so I don't see how we can ignore it.

Brahim Hemdani to tell us why Zelalem is a passenger, Clark will never make it and Zinedine Zidane secretly wishes he could play like Nicky Law.

I'm pleasantly surprised to note that such an eminent journalist as A Steele, Esq reads any of my meanderings, let alone feels disposed to paraphrase the same in such an excellent article, or even jokingly suggest a career for me as a radio pundit. Certainly it's true that I am not normally accused of mainstream Rangers thinking but I'm not sure that that's a good qualification.

I know nothing of the technology and only recently disposed of the pocket transistor radio (or tranny as I recollect they were called) that brought the news from Motherwell to a significant area of the terrace at Easter Road ten years ago on helicopter Sunday.

I still have a mini stero system in my kitchen that dates from the pre CD era in 1985 with a double tape deck (one for metal tapes - remember them?), graphic equaliser and volume control that I daren't play above the second notch lest I be accused of harming the protected species in the surrounding greenbelt. However, if Bellway get planning permission my new neighbours may get some rude awakenings from the likes of Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Slim Whitman, George Jones and Tammy Wynette.

I don't know if we can compete with the BBC, Sky and Rangers' own online services (Tweets?) but I do yearn for a journalist to ask searching questions, such as: why did you prefer Kiernan (or Wilson for those in that camp) to Ball today, what do you think Zelalem brings to the team/are you aware that a majority of his passes go backwards or across and that most of his forward passes go straight to the opposition, why won't you give Hardie a game ahead of a man old enough to be his father, what did you see in Oduwa, etc and not accept cliched answers such as he'll get his chance/squad rotation etc.

I have been on Rangers Chat but am wary of going back; I value my health too much.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
"transistor radio"