SD halt action against Rangers

What if the people who agreed the deal are the ones convicted?

It wouldn't be relevant to individual contracts and there would still be an assumption that they were signed in good faith, unless proven otherwise.

If the club had agreed to buy milk from wee Jeanie round the corner for a 3 year period and it was signed off by a director found guilty of fraud, would the club be able to walk away from that? No. Why should wee Jeanie lose out when she in turn has signed a contract to buy milk from Wisemans.

Likewise if the same director had signed Lee Wallace's contract, can he just walk away for nothing tomorrow? No.

If there is something fraudulent about the SD contract then it could be looked at, and I'm sure we all have our thoughts on it, but unless there is some sort of proof then it will be extremely difficult to get anything done.

What if we agreed to pay Jeanie 50 quid a pint.

Good question. Again it comes down to good faith and if there was anything fraudulent about it.

A court of session judge recently commented that just because a contract extremely favours one party over another, it should still be allowed to stand. Bad contracts are allowed to stand and cannot be cancelled just because they are bad contracts.

In your obviously extreme example, if it was done at arms' length then it may be allowed to stand. There could be questions raised about the director's actions and whether he was doing the best for the company in signing such an agreement, and could probably end up in jail for it. but it wouldn't mean that the contract could be cancelled per se.

Paying 100 times more than you should may allow questions to be raised about the good faith aspect, but it would be a lot easier to prove with the £50 per pint than prove it in SD deal.

Not in anyway up with the law but. i would seek a judicial revue on these contracts. If or hopefully when Whyte, Green and CO are found guilty, surely they must have neglected their fiducial duties as directors by signing these contracts off?

You would hope that would be the case.

Good question. Again it comes down to good faith and if there was anything fraudulent about it.

A court of session judge recently commented that just because a contract extremely favours one party over another, it should still be allowed to stand. Bad contracts are allowed to stand and cannot be cancelled just because they are bad contracts.

In your obviously extreme example, if it was done at arms' length then it may be allowed to stand. There could be questions raised about the director's actions and whether he was doing the best for the company in signing such an agreement, and could probably end up in jail for it. but it wouldn't mean that the contract could be cancelled per se.

Paying 100 times more than you should may allow questions to be raised about the good faith aspect, but it would be a lot easier to prove with the £50 per pint than prove it in SD deal.

Agreed. You would need to know if there was anything in the deal for the fraudster I expect before you would get anywhere.

Who knows if that was the case.

Not in anyway up with the law but. i would seek a judicial revue on these contracts. If or hopefully when Whyte, Green and CO are found guilty, surely they must have neglected their fiducial duties as directors by signing these contracts off?

I've got the same opinion as most others in respect of whether they neglected their duties as a director but if it was proven, it doesn't mean that contracts can be just cancelled, or that a court would agree to review them, as I've suggested above.