Forrester Misses Cup Semi

You've got to factor the pitch as well. I think midfield could get quite turgid. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them by-pass the midfield in their build-up i.e. play long balls into the channels for Griffiths etc, and then have their midfielders close us down as high as possible. There wont be any silky stuff played on that park I don't think. Our players were having to take at least two touches every time last week (especially Halliday, which is why he is often clattered).

I just cast my mind back to last years match against Celtic, when Law played the role of the invisible man. It was a gutless, cowardly 'performance', not sure why anyone would see him rising to the occasion this time around? To be fair, he wasn't alone in bottling it, but most of those players have since moved on. (From memory only Wallace and Miller would have taken part in that match of the players still with us.)

I think comparing last years match to this one is wrong mate,night and day from last year I think!,we actually have a chance to win this time,we might get beat but if we play to our best we can beat them,as for Law pushing him out wide right would seem to be the least upset to the team set up, Tavernier pretty much gets up and down the line all the time so that alone should make it a wee bit easier for Law!.

Anyway whoever the manager selects at least we know they will give effort as opposed to the shite from last season.

You've got to factor the pitch as well. I think midfield could get quite turgid. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them by-pass the midfield in their build-up i.e. play long balls into the channels for Griffiths etc, and then have their midfielders close us down as high as possible. There wont be any silky stuff played on that park I don't think. Our players were having to take at least two touches every time last week (especially Halliday, which is why he is often clattered).

Since we drew them in the cup I did tune into some of their games,never watched any whole match!,just to see how they play and from what I saw that is exactly how they play!,they are not a good side and are there to be beat,however as I keep saying we will need to be at our best

This is true but I do have some sympathy with Shiels, Law, Zelalem and Clark in that they've not had enough game-time to really make a stake for a starting place. As such when they do play, they can look rusty and off the pace.

It's tricky to guess what alternative the manager will opt for but I assume he'll want to keep changes to a minimum so I'd expect Law or Shiels myself and given Forrester usually plays a bit wider, Law may be more likely.

A fair comment Frankie, puts me in mind of the situation when Klos was out injured and unable to reclaim a starting place in the team with Waterreus not exactly a fans favourite. Eventually he was thrown in in a high pressure match against Celtic and made a couple of major errors and was hardly seen again after. Not enough game time to claim a starting place, and as such, probably too risky to throw them in from the start here I think.

A fair comment Frankie, puts me in mind of the situation when Klos was out injured and unable to reclaim a starting place in the team with Waterreus not exactly a fans favourite. Eventually he was thrown in in a high pressure match against Celtic and made a couple of major errors and was hardly seen again after. Not enough game time to claim a starting place, and as such, probably too risky to throw them in from the start here I think.

Agreed but the problem is, one of the four mentioned has to start.

Agreed but the problem is, one of the four mentioned has to start.

Fair comment.

In that case, I'd go with Zelalem. He has a bit of something about him, although doesn't always show it. Perhaps the big game environment is one that will bring out the best in him, it's certainly an atmosphere that will allow him to show his home club what he has. Plus as he's off at the end of the season he's not going to jeopardise a future with the club by a poor showing owing to rustiness...

Light-weight Zelalem? Into the cauldron of a Old Firm game, alongside Brown and Co.... with having played about 30 mins these last few months? That would be a surprise for me.

Hopefully a surprise for Celtic too, they'd never see it coming!

Hopefully a surprise for Celtic too, they'd never see it coming!

Maybe so, but I'd say that given Thompson is the ref, Brown will fold Zelalem a couple of times unpunished and that will be that. We saw what he did last year without seeing a card till very late on and I doubt that the man in the middle will referee that game any different. You actually have to fear for our more elegant players' health in this one.