Ashley summonsed to appear before MP's.

" RANGERS shareholder Mike Ashley has been handed a summons to attend a *Westminster inquiry into working practices at his Sports Direct company.

For months, the tycoon has refused to appear before the Commons business select committee to answer questions about the use of zero-hours contracts at his Derbyshire-based business.

In an increasingly bitter dispute the Newcastle United owner has tried to impose conditions on his evidence and offered to fly members of the committee to his Shirebrook headquarters in his private helicopter.

But chairman Iain Wright MP has written to Ashley saying he expects him to give evidence on June 7.

Ashley may refuse to answer questions from MPs if he does agree to attend the Parliamentary inquiry into workplace practices.

Witnesses cannot refuse a summons to give evidence to a committee, with the ultimate sanction being a warrant and imprisonment in Westminster Palace itself. "

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mike-ashley-given-summons-attend-8059224?

He wont give two hoots.

Can't agree.

Ashley likes to be in control and the last 12 months or so has seen various parts of his empire perform poorly, come under intense spotlight from the media and authorities and have a general perception forming that 'Goldfinger' is turning into 'Shitefinger'.

At the committee Ashley, (who doesn't like softball interviews) will be on live TV (I think) having to field difficult questions. He will do it in an enviroment he won't be comfortable in and the national media will be watching and waiting with their fingers on a keyboard.

If nothing else it should help maintain the negative focus on Ashely (if committee have done homework properly, are prepared for the obvious tactics SD will employ and within reasonable bounds, be prepared to call a spade a shovel).

I'd pay to be given a seat on that particular committee the day Ashley rolls into town. :)

Edited by buster.

Can't agree.

Ashley likes to be in control and the last 12 months or so has seen various parts of his empire perform poorly, come under intense spotlight from the media and authorities and have a general perception forming that 'Goldfinger' is turning into 'Shitefinger'.

At the committee Ashley, (who doesn't like softball interviews) will be on live TV (I think) having to field difficult questions. He will do it in an environment he won't be comfortable in and the national media will be watching and waiting with their fingers on a keyboard.

If nothing else it should help maintain the negative focus on Ashely (if committee have done homework properly, are prepared for the obvious tactics SD will employ and not scared, within reasonable bounds, to call a spade a shovel).

I'd pay to be given a seat on that particular committee the day Ashley rolls into town. :)

I don't disagree with the stuff you say about negative publicity etc. The point I am making is that he won't be phased in the slightest by 'summons' to appear etc. He views these people as trumped up private school boys and he doesn't run scared of them I can assure you. As for 'Imprisonment in Westminster Palace' - is it any wonder these people don't get taken seriously? They would be as well threatening him with penal servitude!

Edited by Anchorman

I don't disagree with the stuff you say about negative publicity etc. The point I am making is that he won't be phased in the slightest by 'summons' to appear etc. He views these people as trumped up public school boys and he doesn't run scared of them I can assure you. As for 'Imprisonment in Westminster Palace' - is it any wonder these people don't get taken seriously? They would be as well threatening him with penal servitude!

He may not respect or be scared of them, but he's going to have to do what they tell him, 'answer' their questions and he won't like it.

At a time when many shareholders in SD want change in the boardroom, the fact that he has been very publicly seen to have to climb down and attend the committee is damaging for him. His marauding panzer division are showing signs of weakness and bad judgement and after an especially bad 12 months, his crisis management team would have been desperate for this not to happen.

I hope he does goes in with the 'I'm not sacred of you type attitude' because he'll be more liable to drop a clanger. However I think his advisers & lawyers will be extremely careful to prompt and stop him where they deem neccessary.

------------------

Late last year or early this I was going to try and run a thread with all the Ashley negative articles together but saw that the trickle became a deluge and simply going to The Guardian website you could locate them quickly and as for public opinion (never mind Rangers supporters) any reputation he may have had has become badly tarnished.

Edited by buster.

The answers will be short and sweet and his total disdain and contempt for them will shine through like a beacon. He believes he should be allowed to do as he pleases with his own Company and he certainly doesnt believe he should be answerable to some jumped up politicians who dont have a clue how to run a business and are merely looking for a soundbite. His arrogance knows no bounds as we know to our cost.

I will be utterly amazed if the appearance at Westminster, if it ever comes about, does not look exactly like this.