Michael Mols: Rangers should be shooting for top six, not first place

What other team (apart from the obvious) can go out and get a player like Barton? - Now one player does not make a team however - you only need to compare him to what Aberdeen or Hearts have in that position to see that we mean business this year.

As has already been said,if we strengthen on our weakness,which it looks like MW are attempting to do,then we are more than capable of challenging for the title this season,providing we get the correct signings in place!.

I see no reason we can't win it with some consistency. If Aberdeen can beat them twice which they did I see no reason the team we will be fielding can't do the same thing.

I see no reason we can't win it with some consistency. If Aberdeen can beat them twice which they did I see no reason the team we will be fielding can't do the same thing.

Yes but both halves of the OF will see significant change this pre-season.

For example, they have already replaced an ineffective manager with someone who has Premiership experience. I don't think there is any doubt that Rodgers is a better manager than Deila. Then you look at our player acquisitions.

I guess the point I am making is that the past is not necessarily reflective of the future.

You're not wrong with regards to resources, but I really think this expectation that we'll be competing with Celtic, or finishing 2nd, is misplaced. I'd be extremely disappointed with "top 6"; I don't think that's acceptable. To be saying, or implying, Warburton should be sacked for finishing 3rd is unnecessary. I appreciate the expectation at Rangers, but we can all agree Warburton is doing positive things, laying down a foundation for the future of the club. Just because he maybe 'fails' -- whatever that may be -- doesn't mean we should be ripping up the philosophy/system and starting again. I think that outlook is the same that has caused us to fall so far behind European clubs -- in a purely football sense.

I'd be content with competing with Hearts and Aberdeen next season (based on their placement last season). It's a new situation for the squad, and although it's not something we're used to or will accept for too long, it is acceptable next season, IMO.

So the only reason for not coming at least second is that it is a new situation for the squad. I'm not buying that at all. They are all professionals, most of whom have now had a year in Scotland to get used to it all. Over half the teams in the top tier are not much (if any) better than Hibs, Falkirk, Raith, QotS etc. They will also all play the same way (bus parking!) as our 15-16 opponents. If Warburton is half the manager we think he is, he should be some distance ahead of a poor Aberdeen side that were miles behind the worst celtic team ever.

I dont think we have any right to win the league now that celtic have brought in a proper manager and will no doubt make good purchases as well, but if we are not second with our resources it is abject failure. There is no other way to dress it up.

Edited by Rousseau

So the only reason for not coming at least second is that it is a new situation for the squad. I'm not buying that at all. They are all professionals, most of whom have now had a year in Scotland to get used to it all. Over half the teams in the top tier are not much (if any) better than Hibs, Falkirk, Raith, QotS etc. They will also all play the same way (bus parking!) as our 15-16 opponents. If Warburton is half the manager we think he is, he should be some distance ahead of a poor Aberdeen side that were miles behind the worst celtic team ever.

I dont think we have any right to win the league now that celtic have brought in a proper manager and will no doubt make good purchases as well, but if we are not second with our resources it is abject failure. There is no other way to dress it up.

See, I agree with your premise(s) -- resources, level of competition etc. -- but I don't therefore think that it means we should expect to be finishing 2nd; football doesn't work like that. I certainly want to be finishing 2nd, or 1st, but don't expect it. Perhaps it's just a confidence thing: you seem to be fairly confident, whereas I am not. I believe Warburton is doing the right things, and believe he is the man for the job, but whether we are quite there yet, I don't know?

I'm a little worried at what you're implying: what do you expect to happen if it is "abject failure" (3rd or lower)?

This next season will be a "understanding the level of competition" for Warburton. The SPL is a step up from the Championship and there needs to be a higher level of consistency given the teams, generally, are stronger. However, I would argue that this next season will be Warburton's opportunity to see exactly which players are cut out for this level and which ones aren't. There is absolutely no reason at all that the current group already assembled with even just one new CB acquired, should be finishing in 2nd or 3rd. With a couple more shrewd acquisitions I see no reason we shouldn't be challenging for the title.

Yes, Celtic have brought in a new manager but it will remain to be seen what purchases they make. They already have a bloated squad and will need to somehow rid themselves of a number of those - those same players are under-performers who look dross - only Tierney, Griffiths and Rogic would command a decent fee (and Bitton if nobody watched him in the SC semi). The rest are poor and on inflated wages. on top of that Rodgers is costing them a ton of money, although I hear Desmond is fronting much of that personally. But they admitted he broke their budget which could have you believe ate into the playing staff budget.

But enough of them.

The squad we had last year defeated them in the SC semi, albeit the game was technically a draw we outplayed them. This would suggest that we can be competitive with them in one off games with what we had last season and we have already strengthened for next season. Whether we can keep the pace over a season is a different matter but the signs are there we can.

Our squad still has a number of new faces to come in, as has theirs. But with Barton and Rossiter joining, plus Crooks & Windass, I think we have already upgraded on our squad of last season and in an area we needed it. If we could pick up a CB (or two), Striker and a full back I think we will be in pretty good shape to challenge next season, no matter who Celtic bring in.

But.... as I said at the outset, I think next season will be a season to determine which of our squad can play at this level and which ones cant. The following season I would expect to see a number of ins and outs to get the squad to exactly where it needs to be to mount a proper challenge.

Next season I will be hoping for 1st but will be pragmatic enough to know that we have just been promoted from an inferior (overall) league and until you test yourself against the best in the country you really don't know how good your players are and whether they are up for the challenge or not.

What has been really pleasing for me is that, in following a number of the players on Twitter, they seem to have a real bond between them. Not only that but they all seem to be on holiday but still looking after themselves physically (I am sure they all would have taken personal, individualized training regimens away with them).

Agree with you Craig.Would think desmond will be fronting the money for their manager with a soft loan.(debt,just like us,though they wont paint it like that )

I was told most of Rodgers salary, as well as paying off his gardening leave, came out of Desmond's own pocket rather than a loan - but I clearly have no proof to support that !