England in shock, maybe but they simply aren't as good as they think they are.

Not in the present or historically

Since 1966 this is how the trophies have been divided

WC

Brazil 70, 94, 02

(W).Germany 74, 90, 14

Argentina 78, 86

Italy 82, 06

France 98

Spain 10

EC

Italy 68

Germany 72, 80, 96

Czechoslovakia 76

France 84, 00

Holland 88

Denmark 92

Greece 04

Spain 08,12

Now the beaten finalists

WC

Italy 70, 94

Holland 74, 78, 10

Germany 82, 86, 02

Argentina 90, 14

Brazil 98

France 06

EC

Yugoslavia 68

USSR 72, 88

Germany 76, 92, 08

Belguim 80

Spain 84

Rep.Czech 96

Italy 00, 12

Portugal 04

Number of Finals for European nations since 1966 (both WC and EC)

Germany 12

Italy 7

Spain 4

France 4

Holland 4

USSR 2

Czech 2

Belguim 1

Portugal 1

Denmark 1

Greece 1

Yugoslavia 1

Edited by buster.

They were rotten last night.

How Hodgson could continue with Sterling is beyond me. I said it before and I repeat it now, Hodgson cost them any chance of winning the Euros - obviously the players aren't up to the task either, but anyone who knows football at all would have watched Sterling in the 1st game, yanked him at half time and given him zero game time thereafter.

They were rotten last night.

How Hodgson could continue with Sterling is beyond me. I said it before and I repeat it now, Hodgson cost them any chance of winning the Euros - obviously the players aren't up to the task either, but anyone who knows football at all would have watched Sterling in the 1st game, yanked him at half time and given him zero game time thereafter.

Hodgson was still experimenting and took risks coming into the tournament, eg. bringing only one wide player and loads of centre forwards (said this weeks ago) so when you have to break a tight defence down he is more or less forced to go with Sterling.

It wasn't just personel, it was shape and forcing Rooney into the side. Although tbf, Rooney didn't do badly in the midfield over the piece.

With all the force-fitting and changing of players, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of a disconnect/tension that eventually affected the group on-field when in adversity. This leading to what was a pathetic team effort last night.

All that aside, England aren't as good as they think they are and despite their bi-annual embarrassment, the arrogance and unrealistic expectation levels with which they every tournament always returns 2 years down the line.

Sterling was fine as a support act for Suarez and Sturridge. Why City bought him I do not know.

England managers used to be sacked for failing in late-stage penalty shootouts. Now they don't get that far.

But they can be proud of themselves. At least they qualified for the tournament.

Media folk are now trashing those they lauded as heroes. A couple of days ago.

Just thinking that while amused at England's embarrassment, I feel a bit embarrassed for us also. Iceland have got to the quarter final, and we've yet to get to the knockout stages of any tournament...

Same with Wales who are in their second quarter final (in two attempts), and NI have been in the second round a few times I think with one quarter final.

It's not all bad as we have "effectively" been in the quarter final in 1992 and finished 5th which is higher than those two other home nations so far with with 6th and 8th. And we've qualified 10 times to their 2 and 4.

Edited by calscot

Just thinking that while amused at England's embarrassment, I feel a bit embarrassed for us also. Iceland have got to the quarter final, and we've yet to get to the knockout stages of any tournament...

Same with Wales who are in their second quarter final (in two attempts), and NI have been in the second round a few times I think with one quarter final.

It's not all bad as we have "effectively" been in the quarter final in 1992 and finished 5th which is higher than those two other home nations so far with with 6th and 8th. And we've qualified 10 times to their 2 and 4.

The song...... 'We're shite and we know we are......' comes to mind.

We (the Scots) have accepted that and simply take what we can in terms of entertainment from any major tournament, knowing that it won't have anything directly to do with us....... Other than the occasional decent football match, comic England failure is as good as it gets :flute:

I stress the word 'comic' because most teams get beat at one stage or another. The comedy has to do with their inflated footballing ego that is always pumped up with hot air in time for the major tournaments. It continues with the first body blow (often involves a goalkeeping mistake), the noise of knives being sharpened, a manager saying everything is fine then a second body blow, mutterings about player discontent, players saying everything is fine, press doubting manager, manager and player disconnect and then disaster.

NB. 21stC England comic failure always involes a Rooney angle from his hairline down to his metatarsal and most recently his new position on the park.

The talk of Gareth Southgate makes you immediately envisage another disaster and his apologetic and at times pathetic expression towards the camera. If you were a casting director, Southgate would be your man.....#send in the clowns.