Clint Hill Signs For Rangers

37 is the equivalent of 32,33 when I were a lad back in the 70's & 80's. If players have looked after themselves, they are perfectly capable of playing to almost 40 nowadays. Most players won't have, or have suffered injury they can't recover from, or just plain don't want to - but Strachan showed the way almost 20 years ago, playing till he was 40, so there's no excuse for people banging on about it in 2016.

Loving the 84-86 collar on that shirt, btw. The days of Eric Ferguson are come again.

I don't think this is true. 37 years old (38 in a few months) is very old for an outfield player whatever way you look at it. David Weir was something of an anomaly.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

By all accounts a proper defender, a leader and an organiser. Exactly what we need this season. Short term perhaps, but we can't have a team full of kids for the pressure of winning this title.

We're not going to have a team full of kids though are we? Regardless, having a younger team doesn't mean we have to then sign someone who's presumably on his last legs. I really wish we were scouting the continent looking for players.

We're not going to have a team full of kids though are we? Regardless, having a younger team doesn't mean we have to then sign someone who's presumably on his last legs. I really wish we were scouting the continent looking for players.

Is the 38 yo Ricardo Carvalho doing much these days?

I don't think this is true. 37 years old (38 in a few months) is very old for an outfield player whatever way you look at it. David Weir was something of an anomaly.

As is Miller, as was Caniggia etc.. Not every player is the same ... and with age comes experience too. Hill will probably know how to position himself and don't leave himself open to quick counter attacks. He won't be infallible though, as is the case with any other guy out there. He's been playing Championship opposition for years, opposition that is - on the whole - sure better than what the Premiership has to offer. Likewise, he can coach Kiernan, Wilson and possibly Ball and/or Mariappa a trick or two as well. Hill, Barton and Co. are not the solution for the next 4 or 5 years. They are the solution for next season. One step at a time.

I'll tell you what - looking at the training picture gallary from this weekend - Hill looks as fit as a butchers dog! Not an ounce of fat on the guy apparently.

Everything I've read about him since he signed points to the fact he is a consummate professional. Also appears to be a decent player and QPR fans seem sorry to be losing him - just what we need at r his moment in time IMO

20 years ago Franco Baresi retired at 37. That's when 37 was old for as player! Maldini retired at aged 41 in 2009. We are WAY beyond the days of footballers retiring or being over the hill at 33. Late 30's is not an issue for me. Kenny Miller was streets ahead of every other player in blue in the cup final.

20 years ago Franco Baresi retired at 37. That's when 37 was old for as player! Maldini retired at aged 41 in 2009. We are WAY beyond the days of footballers retiring or being over the hill at 33. Late 30's is not an issue for me. Kenny Miller was streets ahead of every other player in blue in the cup final.

Much does depend on their injuries history though. Both Weir & Miller are players who've had relatively few injuries throughout their careers.

Not sure you can say the same about Clint Hill though

I have no doubt in my mind Hill will be a fantastic signing for us...SDoW probably pushed this deal more than anybody else, and with his experience in these matters that's no surprise.

There's also the 'downside' to guys who've been there done it in their late 30's - Look at our National team under Strachan for example and his comments this week.

Should add...Strachan is a wee wan*er.

Edited by Bearman
There and Their presents problems at times