PUMA selling new strip for £60

RANGERS fans will not be able to purchase the replica kit that Mark Warburton’s side will wear during their Premiership title challenge next term.

The Light Blues returned to pre-season action at the weekend and will head to Charleston next Monday for a training camp ahead of the opening fixture of the new campaign against Motherwell on Saturday, July 16.

But SportTimes understands supporters will be denied the chance to pull on their own version of the Puma-design kit that the Gers will wear in action in the coming months.

The long-running feud between the Ibrox board and Sports Direct chief Mike Ashley took another twist four weeks ago when the merchandise deals with Rangers Retail Limited were effectively ripped up as Rangers served notice terminating the Intellectual Property licence and rights agreement with immediate effect.

It means that items featuring registered trademarks – including the famous Rangers badge – are unable to be sold once the current stock has been shifted.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

Chairman Dave King has repeatedly tried to renegotiate the deals, which were struck with Ashley during the Charles Green era at Ibrox, but he has been unable to reach a compromise agreement with the billionaire businessman.

As tensions have escalated, supporters have staged a series of protests at Ibrox and Sports Direct shops in a bid to highlight the deal that sees Rangers receive around 4p from every pound spent on official merchandise.

Many fans had hoped that they would be able to end their boycott of the Rangers Megastore ahead of the new campaign and purchase replica kit and other memorabilia this summer.

But it is highly unlikely they will get the chance to part with their cash in the coming weeks to snap up shirts and scarves ahead of the big kick-off.

Defender Clint Hill was pictured with the new blue home shirt when he was unveiled on Friday afternoon, while Warburton’s side had fresh Puma training gear with the logo of sponsors 32Red on the front at Murray Park on Saturday.

On Monday, captain Lee Wallace wore the chequered design home kit as his new Ibrox deal was announced by the club.

But fans will not get the chance to follow in the footsteps of their Gers heroes and get kitted out for the new campaign this summer.

The price is on par what people pay for their kit elsewhere ... and I haven't bought a newly-released strip for years because of these steep fees. And yes, I know that the club needs the money too ... if it gets its fair share - which it doesn't.

IMHO, it does not matter to me whether I wear a strip from this year, last year or 1998. It is the right colour, it sports the logo of my team and was worn by its players. If the current situation means that we starve SD and Co. out of Ibrox, so be it.

NB: Yes, the club will lose vital cash here. But do keep in mind that the club decided on breaking up the current deal and knew exactly what would happen.

Edited by der Berliner

I'm a wee bit confused. The strip has the club"s official crest on it! Ashley stills gets his cut, correct?

There might be allowances if sold directly by Puma rather than by Sports Direct/Rangers Retail.